Like I said.

ALMOST anything. Can add Chlorine TriFluoride to that list of nastiness, as well as DiOxygen DiFluoride (aka FOOF).

Last edited by a moderator:
Can our experts help to compile a list of avionics of the U-2C #56-6693 (item 360), which was shot down on 1 May 1960 in the USSR please? I am trying to ascertain from old manuals what kind of COM, NAV and other systems could have been used. Can our experts provide hints on the subject please?

COM:

C-823/AIC-10 audio
AN/ARC-34 UHF AM
Commercial ARC Type 12 VHF AM or military AN/ARC-3 VHF AM
Collins KWM-1 HF SSB, 14-30 MHz range, 1 preset, ca. 100W RF
Perhaps the plane was equipped with the AN/ARA-26 keyer, which could key HF radio in emergency.
Apparently early U-2s had no IFF unless the Wilcox 914-1 commercial transponder was used.

NAV:

MA-1 gyro compass
AN/ARN-6 ADF or AN/ARN-44 ADF
AN/APQ-56 SLAR radar mapping installed on some a/c
RADAN PC-210A Doppler radar nav on some a/c, used in conjunction with the AN/APQ-56
or RADAN PC-204A + AN/ASN-6 nav computer
Lear 5105A autopilot
Could it have used the TACAN like the AN/ARN-21?

Other equipment:

Perkin-Elmer Mark I Driftsight, PE-151-0001 or Mark II, or Mark III
Tracker Camera
A-1 Camera
A-2 Camera
B Config. Camera
System I, II or IV FERRET ELINT
System IX ECM designed for the P2V and U-2. Used the S-441 Deception Repeater (Granger Model 504). The set was to provide false angle information to X-Band conical scan airborne intercept radars and used inverse gain technique. Powers referred to it as "the Granger box."

Wikipedia has some old Russian photos of the debris at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Exhibition_of_the_remains_of_Lockheed_U-2_56-6693.
This one shows the "Granger Box" 10A fuse:
RIAN_archive_793478_Exhibition_of_remains_of_U.S._U-2_spy-in-the-sky_aircraft.jpg

This one apparently the ELINT equipment:
RIAN_archive_793502_Exhibition_of_remains_of_U.S._destroyed_U-2_spy-in-the-sky_aircraft.jpg

And this one apparently the data recorder:
RIAN_archive_793489_Exhibition_of_remains_of_U.S._destroyed_U-2_spy-in-the-sky_aircraft.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I would not want to fly anywhere near a thunderstorm in a U2...

Last edited by a moderator:
View: https://twitter.com/LockheedMartin/status/1706670628424593427

• An updated avionics suite (communications, navigation, display, etc.) that modernizes the U-2's onboard systems to readily accept and use new technology.
  • A new mission computer designed to the U.S. Air Force's open mission systems (OMS) standard that enables the U-2 to integrate with systems across air, space, sea, land and cyber domains at disparate security levels.
  • New modern cockpit displays to make pilot tasks easier, while enhancing presentation of the data the aircraft collects to enable faster, better-informed decisions.

And the USAF are planning on getting rid of the Dragon Lady, that is IF congress gives it's approval or not, let's wait and see if it is the later. It will be interesting to see what happens and what replaces the DL, something along the lines of the SR-72 if it is still out there.

And the USAF are planning on getting rid of the Dragon Lady, that is IF congress gives it's approval or not, let's wait and see if it is the later. It will be interesting to see what happens and what replaces the DL, something along the lines of the SR-72 if it is still out there.
Where did you hear that?

Can't be Tagboard, too big & heavy for launch from U-2R.

Interesting tidbits -
- Plastic wings and tail
- Otto II fuel is US Navy torpedo monopropellant.
- Rocket motor. (?)
- Trapeze launch - U-2R fuselage top or wing super pod station.
- Max mission time to launch - 8 hours (cold soak requirement)

Is this Aquiline related (competitor?)

I wonder if it might be related to this:
FORTUNE COOKIE:

A. On the basis of Ex Com approval for FY 1969 initiation of this drone program for the U-2's, the Agency is to provide material on the principal requirements assumptions for the cost estimates, such as the planned operational activity related to proposed quantities. In the event SAC also has a requirement for this drone, the Agency is to include both Agency and SAC under this account, in cooperation and coordination with Director D.

B. Any related Countermeasure R&D proposed funding is to be included under this account, rather than [redcated] NRO 25X1A​

C. F.Y. 1970 Financial Program Recommendations:
Submit line entry requirements and costs in meaningful detail, such as quantity and costs of drone procurements, cost of drone mods, Elint system quantities and costs, test support, number and costs of technicians, spares costs, etc.

D. F.Y. 1971 Budget Recommendations:
Submit similar detail as that required for the F.Y. 1970 Financial Program Recommendations.​
from FY 1970 FINANCIAL PROGRAM/FY 1971 BUDGET RECOMMENDATIONS

edit: it seems so - I don't know why I'd not noticed (or remembered) this before. From Peter Merlin's 'Unlimited Horizons':
Some test projects were almost surreal. One involved a method for dropping propaganda leaflets from 70,000 feet. Another, called Fortune Cookie, called for launching modified AQM-37 supersonic drones from wing pylons. Under the initial concept, the rocket-powered drone would be equipped with a camera and recovered at the end of its flight. Later, it was proposed that an expendable drone would collect electronic intelligence data, which could then be relayed to the U-2 or another airborne platform within range. Although test results were promising, no operational missions were undertaken.​

Last edited:
Elephant walk at Beale AFB with not less than 8 TR-1:

The Jan. 4 Elephant Walk included at least 8 U-2 Dragon Lady, at least 9 T-38 Talons, two KC-135 Stratotankers and a number of U-2 pursuit vehicles.

1704860435344.png

Last edited:
Man, I would not want to fly anywhere near a thunderstorm in a U2...
The Armored T-28 is best for hailstorms.

Sterling Colgate got close to twisters in a Cessna if memory serves...and Joe Golden flew through fair-weather waterspouts.

Some thunderheads can tower over 70,000 feet. Tornadoes are often the last feature of a storm..
outflow occasionally pushing them into sunlight.

A U-2 might then follow a supercell from the southwest at a distance...though there is a danger if it is a right-turner.

Watch for positive giants/superbolts.

Got hold of a copy of "skunk works" by Ben Rich from a charity shop and learned some new to me info.

The U-2 could be and was air-air refuelled extending range to 8000 miles and endurance of 14 hours, i did not know that! i'm sure plenty of you do / did!!

A little search came up with the following short video....

Missions off aircraft carriers is also interesting, and the adaptations, must of been really hard to land!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HMPMYL19E

Last edited:

Attachments

• CIA-RDP89B00739R000400070009-3.pdf
    890.9 KB · Views: 8
  • U-2R proposal Sep 1965 -1.jpg
    U-2R proposal Sep 1965 -1.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 21
  • U-2R proposal Sep 1965 -2.jpg
    U-2R proposal Sep 1965 -2.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 17
  • U-2R proposal Sep 1965 -3.jpg