Attached: two interesting documents related to two peculiar (almost mythical !) rocket engines.
First is: methane-fueled RL10. Second one: LH2-fueled LR87.
I see at the prhoto from "HISTORY OF THE TITAN LIQUID ROCKET ENGINES AIAA-89-2389" and I have a question.
(I attached this photo in best quality from M. Wade site)
In the "HISTORY..." at the photo we see:
- red: pump;
- orange: pump inlet;
- green: exaust gases tube;
- yellow: manifold.
Under the photo we can read: Double pump engine. But I dont see the fuel (LH2) pump and exaust gases tube. We know, that in LOx/LH2 engine fuel pump bigger, than oxidizer pump. And... Where it?.. May be label is mistake and here we can see the first variant: "Liquid-hydrogen turbopump, a pressure-fed LOX system"? What do you think?

Attachments

• 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 13
Under the photo we can read: Double pump engine. But I dont see the fuel (LH2) pump and exaust gases tube. We know, that in LOx/LH2 engine fuel pump bigger, than oxidizer pump. And... Where it?.. May be label is mistake and here we can see the first variant: "Liquid-hydrogen turbopump, a pressure-fed LOX system"? What do you think?
The LR87 is dual engine with Turbo pump Gasgenerator between the engine (see picture below)
what LH2-fueled LR87 picture show is the Turbo pump Gasgenerator of original engine.
This is the LOX turbopump, now Mark wade expain
In comparison with the Lox/Kerosene LR87, major changes were made on the injectors,
and the RP-1 fuel pump was replaced by a single stage hydrogen pump specially designed for the purpose.
The oxygen pump and its gearbox were unchanged from the original design.
This Imply the LH2 pump is in Turbo pump Assembly behind the LOX pump

Attachments

• titan-i-stage-1-engine-subassembly.jpg
    titan-i-stage-1-engine-subassembly.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The LR87 is dual engine with Turbo pump Gasgenerator between the engine (see picture below)
You are right. But LR87 - is a two independent engines. Each of these engines has own chamber, turbopump, gas generator, etc.
I attached screen from book "SPACECRAFT LAUNCH VEHICLES" by KOBELEV MILIVANOV, here we can see two different engines.
At the USSR termonology using definition: engin block. Engin block mean "independent engin". Summ of engin block = engin. It avoids confusion.
P. S. If you are interested, I can translate this diagram into English.

Attachments

• 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 8
Yes, please.
Ok. But a little later, now I should go to sleep. :)
Was China ever interested in perfecting RD-270?
I don't know. China, of course, is interested in everything. And I think in the '90s they tried to get everything possible. Those were very hungry (sometimes literally! alas, I remember that) years in Russia. But whether China got anything on RD-270/8D420 - I don't know.