Fairey Delta 2, not the English Electric Lightning

Merged with earlier thread on the same topic.

Relevant to this topic:

Using an online converter, I can't vouch for the accuracy, the fuel weight of the ER.103C is equal to approximately 1,000 imperial gallons, only two-thirds of the P.1121. Perhaps it would have been possible to squeeze some additional fuel into the rear fuselage but there is no evidence for that. The undercarriage arrangement might leave enough room for four underwing pylons in addition to the wingtip Red Tops and there is plenty of room under the fuselage for stores so it feels like something interesting could have been made of it from a tactical fighter perspective. The fighter-bomber variation of the twin engined submission hints to the possible albeit it was more of an OR.339 effort.

It really isn't outlandish to have an AU in which the RAF procured a supersonic tactical fighter-bomber in the late 1950s, it is a shame that the usual suspect was allowed to destroy this thread though.

It's notable the AI radar installation is all together in a detachable nose. Not only making maintenance and replacement easy. But logically upgrades or alternative nose packages possible for various mission sets.
A dedicated PR version for example or a version for Ground Attack.

Using an online converter, I can't vouch for the accuracy, the fuel weight of the ER.103C is equal to approximately 1,000 imperial gallons, only two-thirds of the P.1121. Perhaps it would have been possible to squeeze some additional fuel into the rear fuselage but there is no evidence for that.

For comparison to ER.103C, the Mirage III only had 646 Imp Gals of internal fuel (121 in a tank fitted when no rocket fitted, 224 in 4 tanks around the intake ducts and 301 in wing tanks).

Attachments

• 1713084649375.png
    1713084649375.png
    446.1 KB · Views: 16
If you truly want to look at a Mirage rival from Britain, a developed Avro 720 is a better starting point. Avro were early adopters of delta wings and area rule, were technically sound with good leadership, and Avro 720 instead of SR.53 could lead to a Mirage-like family.
Avro's metal honeycomb sandwich construction for the 720 was considered to be cheap and easy to manufacture and offered good structural strength combined with low weight. It would have made an interesting alternative to the Lightning for sure.
Using a 10,750lbf Gyron Junior on the two-seat 725 trainer - which retained the 720's fuselage diameter - was estimated to get to Mach 1.15 at 40,000ft. I think something like the Olypmus, Gyron or RB.106 would have been needed to get to Mach 2 (a single Avon might not have enough puff), but the possibilities were certainly there.

For comparison to ER.103C, the Mirage III only had 646 Imp Gals of internal fuel (121 in a tank fitted when no rocket fitted, 224 in 4 tanks around the intake ducts and 301 in wing tanks).

Though the ER.103C from the brochure has a full-size Gyron, thats got to be thirstier than an Atar 09C. An RB.128 apparently had better SFC than the Gyron or the RB.122 but these are still monster engines aimed at maximising climb and altitude performance, perhaps not ideal for a multirole type? Again, back to the Hawker view that the Olympus offered the best trade between high and low altitude performance?

Avro's metal honeycomb sandwich construction for the 720 was considered to be cheap and easy to manufacture and offered good structural strength combined with low weight. It would have made an interesting alternative to the Lightning for sure.
Using a 10,750lbf Gyron Junior on the two-seat 725 trainer - which retained the 720's fuselage diameter - was estimated to get to Mach 1.15 at 40,000ft. I think something like the Olypmus, Gyron or RB.106 would have been needed to get to Mach 2 (a single Avon might not have enough puff), but the possibilities were certainly there.

Presumably this is the same construction method Avro proposed for the Vulcan Phase III wing? A scaled-up 720 derivative is exactly what I had in mind earlier in the thread. I'm still not sure any of this offers much advantage over an English Electric P.6 with a fuselage mounted undercarriage or the P.1121 though.

It seems a bit of a leap to me to get any of these very old fashioned looking 50s designs (sort of British F102 Delta Daggers) into something useful in 1962
Lightning still seems the best of a bad bunch. It does not use any dodgy fuel/rockets but can fly high very quickly.
Its weakness (sorry fellow Brits) is having only two Firestreak/Red Tops instead of 4 Sidewinders. Genie to hit swarms of Badgers and Bears over the N Sea appeals too as we are still in the era of "massive response".
That Javelins lasted so long into the 60s suggests that having 4 rather than 2 AAM on a fighter with decent range suited the RAF too.
An air defence Buccaneer would give you space for plenty of radar and missiles but I lost that argument some years ago.

Attachments

• Convair_YF-102_FC-782.jpg
    Convair_YF-102_FC-782.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 14
Anyone keen on rocket powered fighters should read this

No wonder Eric W Brown lived so long and productively.

So 1000ImpGal in the ER103C is a pretty massive improvement in fuel capacity.

Does raise a question of wing thickness, though. The F102 had to be significantly redesigned with thinner wings as a result of the area rule.

It's miserable stuff to repair, but great for strength as long as it's intact. The preferred fix is to replace the entire panel, as re-bonding the honeycomb is a nightmare/pain in the ass.

It seems a bit of a leap to me to get any of these very old fashioned looking 50s designs (sort of British F102 Delta Daggers) into something useful in 1962
Lightning still seems the best of a bad bunch. It does not use any dodgy fuel/rockets but can fly high very quickly.
Its weakness (sorry fellow Brits) is having only two Firestreak/Red Tops instead of 4 Sidewinders. Genie to hit swarms of Badgers and Bears over the N Sea appeals too as we are still in the era of "massive response".
That Javelins lasted so long into the 60s suggests that having 4 rather than 2 AAM on a fighter with decent range suited the RAF too.
An air defence Buccaneer would give you space for plenty of radar and missiles but I lost that argument some years ago.
Even the US fighters armed with AIM4s tended to have 4x missiles unless they were packing Genies. And even then, the F101s carried 2x Genies and 2x IR Falcons. (early on the F101 and F102 carried 6x Falcons, but that was reduced to 4x)

The Sparrow fighters tended to pack 3-4 sparrows as well.

Even the US fighters armed with AIM4s tended to have 4x missiles unless they were packing Genies. And even then, the F101s carried 2x Genies and 2x IR Falcons. (early on the F101 and F102 carried 6x Falcons, but that was reduced to 4x)

The Sparrow fighters tended to pack 3-4 sparrows as well.

The Gyron powered ER103C and Lightning were certainly powerful enough to carry 4 big British AAMs without loosing too much performance. I don't know how the ER103C would mount another 2 AAM but the Lightning F53 had a pair of underwing pylons able to carry a 1,000lb bomb so on the face of it could carry another 2 AAMs.

Though the ER.103C from the brochure has a full-size Gyron, thats got to be thirstier than an Atar 09C. An RB.128 apparently had better SFC than the Gyron or the RB.122 but these are still monster engines aimed at maximising climb and altitude performance, perhaps not ideal for a multirole type? Again, back to the Hawker view that the Olympus offered the best trade between high and low altitude performance?
That's very true, the ER.103C has to cope with a thirstier engine. The Olympus is probably the better choice for an all-round fighter.
Either that or a Series 200 or (even better) Series 300 Avon - the Draken basically had an Avon 301 and achieved Mach 2.3.

Presumably this is the same construction method Avro proposed for the Vulcan Phase III wing? A scaled-up 720 derivative is exactly what I had in mind earlier in the thread. I'm still not sure any of this offers much advantage over an English Electric P.6 with a fuselage mounted undercarriage or the P.1121 though.
I'll have to dig out the BIS booklet on UK rocket fighters, I think it might have more detail on the construction used - presumably the Vulcan Phase III used the same technique.
A slightly scaled 720 might get away with an Avon, the other two would need the larger engine. I'd go for P.6 as my ideal choice, but a 720 development is an interesting alternative path (I'd certainly choose it over the P.177).

It's miserable stuff to repair, but great for strength as long as it's intact. The preferred fix is to replace the entire panel, as re-bonding the honeycomb is a nightmare/pain in the ass.
Yes it might have been trickier for the 'erks' to repair and work with. But Avro seemed convinced that it would be robust.

Yes it might have been trickier for the 'erks' to repair and work with. But Avro seemed convinced that it would be robust.
Oh, it's quite robust. Basically the entire floor structure of a Huey is metal honeycomb composites!

The Olympus is probably the better choice for an all-round fighter.
Damien Burke's TSR.2 book points out that BAC had no end of trouble with the Olympus, the very first problem being that thrust-weight ratio figures turned out to be rather optimistic, and would rather have taken a Rolls-Royce engine (but were overruled).

Fairey perhaps could have partnered with Convair to explore common research goals. I cannot help but see superficial similarity between Fairey Delta and the Sea Dart. The US and British just weren't quite as easy at being partners in those days. Its hard to imagine that the need to develop affordable technologies wasn't relevant to US and Commonwealth interests let alone joint partners. This is the era Canada needed shiny new jets for integration with NORAD's SAGE system, and Fairey Delta certainly looked the part of a Cold War supersonic fighter.

Despite everything written in this thread about how it couldn't have been done . . . the fact that there wasn't a British equivalent of this film with a Hawk in place of the Alpha Jet and descendents of the Fairey Delta 2 in place of the Mirage 2000s makes me very upset!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz5SVkkTyfY&t=296s

AFAIK the closest British equivalents to the several iterations of "Chevaliers du Ceil" were "Squadron" (1982) and "Strike Force" (1995). The latter starred Tim Bentnick better known as David Archer in "The Archers".

Last edited:
The 60s version of Chevaliers was shown on BBC in English as The Aeronauts.

French language graphic novels featuring Canadian (Dan Cooper), French (Michel Tanguy) and USN (Buck Danny) pilots have been published since the 60s along with more modern versions involving the French Navy.

The Lightning with its colourful 60s tails and phenomenal climbing ability deserved similar treatment but Britain prefered magazines like Eagle and TV21 to graphic novels. Dan Dare would have made a fine early 60s RAF Squadron Leader on Javelins or Lightnings. Adventures in Gibraltar, Cyprus, and Singapore would have reflected the real world RAF.

Hats off to Belgium and France for their beautiful graphic novels which have no English or US equivalents of such high quality.

Tintin the Belgian boy reporter did get to fly in a BEA Trident but sadly neither Mirages nor Lightnings made it into Herges' books.

French language graphic novels featuring Canadian (Dan Cooper), French (Michel Tanguy) and USN (Buck Danny) pilots have been published since the 60s along with more modern versions involving the French Navy.

The Lightning with its colourful 60s tails and phenomenal climbing ability deserved similar treatment but Britain prefered magazines like Eagle and TV21 to graphic novels. Dan Dare would have made a fine early 60s RAF Squadron Leader on Javelins or Lightnings. Adventures in Gibraltar, Cyprus, and Singapore would have reflected the real world RAF.

Hats off to Belgium and France for their beautiful graphic novels which have no English or US equivalents of such high quality.

Tintin the Belgian boy reporter did get to fly in a BEA Trident but sadly neither Mirages nor Lightnings made it into Herges' books.
Were the any newspaper strips that were equivalent? IIRC the James Bond one had an aeronautical adventure-or-so, Jeff Hawke was a pilot - but in the future.

Newspaper and most childrens' comics had only black and white.strips (Eagle and TV21 in colour).
Not surprisingly WW2 rather than current day heroes were the main stars of war stories (also the dedicated black and white war magazine books still sold at newsagents). Biggles of course.

Biggles was updated for the 50s and 60s but he became a private eye rather than a dashing pilot flying Lightnings.

Red Arrow in Thunderbirds was about the closest we got - a Draken with extra B-58 engine pods stuck on the wings and tail.

For once @uk 75 . . . I couldn't agree with you more! Well done! Keep it up! (And I'm not being sarcastic.)

I watched "The Aeronauts" in the 1970s. The English dub doesn't survive, but this gentlemen's done English subtitles for the original French version.

The early 1970s English dub had a different theme tune (presumably so they didn't have to pay Johnny Hallyday royalties) called "The High Flying Aeronauts" sung by the late Rick Jones (better known as Yoffy in "Fingerbobs") which he co-wrote with Jeff Ryan. Here it is with a comment from the man himself.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZaeGXYhRY

so on the face of it could carry another 2 AAMs.
You'd need to wire them to present coolant and radar information to the missiles, something the detachable belly pack for the Lightning provides. IIRC there were separate ones for Firestreak and Red Top, so wiring the wing hardpoints for AAMs might present interesting challenges.

You'd need to wire them to present coolant and radar information to the missiles, something the detachable belly pack for the Lightning provides. IIRC there were separate ones for Firestreak and Red Top, so wiring the wing hardpoints for AAMs might present interesting challenges.

I'm not enough of a missile tech to know the ins and outs.

It appeared as if Firestreak's vacuum tube electronics required active cooling via ammonia, which also provided cooling for the seeker head given that it was available and plumbed to the missile.

The Red Top's electronics didn't require cooling, so the ammonia and plumbing was removed from the missile and weapon pack. The Red Top's Indium antimonide seeker was cooled by compressed air in the weapons pack, apparently there was enough for 30 minutes of cooling and the seeker cooled in 2 seconds.

I don't know how this translates to the wing pylons for a Lightning, but the SR177 which wasn't cancelled until late December 1957 some 6 months into Red Top's development, has AAMs on the wingtips which presumably are early iterations of the Red Top. In addition F155 contenders FD3, P1103 and AW169 appeared to carry Blue Vesta on the wingtips, which apparently was to be more complex than Red Top. If these aircraft can overcome the challenges of wingtip Blue Vesta or Red Top then it seems likely EE/BAC could make these missiles work on the Lightning's wing pylons if required (or more likely, funded).

Another little gem on this site is that the Red Top had to be armed 2 minutes before launch, but this could be automatic. I've heard that R530s had a very long warm-up time which hampered it in closer combat, and I think the AIM7E2 'dogfight' Sparrow specifically improved this parameter so likely the 7E had problems in this area too.

Does raise a question of wing thickness, though. The F102 had to be significantly redesigned with thinner wings as a result of the area rule.
The major change from the YF-102 to the YF-102A was the fuselage, not the wing.

YF-102 top, YF-102A bottom:

YF-102 & YF-102A.jpg

YF-102 left, YF-102A right:

YF-102 left - YF-102A right.jpg

As the USAF had decided to implement a new design>production philosophy (the so-called "Cook-Craigie" program, named for its originators, Generals Laurence C. Craigie and Orval R. Cook) no prototypes ("XF-102") were built - the program went straight to an order for 10 "developmental aircraft" (YF-102) and 8 production aircraft (F-102A) to begin immediately after the "Y" aircraft were complete (boy, sure sounds like the "concurrent production" model of the F-35).

As soon as the first YF-102 began test flights it was clear that something was wrong - confirming the wind tunnel test results from the models that the USAF had claimed were "not valid" - the YF-102 could not break Mach 1!
Unfortunately, this meant that the 10 YF-102s were all built before construction was halted on the 8 production examples.

Here is the corrective action applied to the F-102As (the first 4 were redesignated YF-102A) - note that while some detail changes were done to the wings, changing the wing thickness was NOT among them:

The salvation of the project turned out to be in the "area rule" devised by NACA scientist Richard Whitcomb. According to the area rule, the total cross sectional area along the direction of flight should be a constant in order to achieve minimum transonic drag. In order to achieve this, it was required that the fuselage be narrowed down in the region where the wing roots were attached, then broadened back out again when the wing trailing edge was reached. This gave the aircraft fuselage a characteristic "wasp-waist" or "Coke-bottle" shape. In order to achieve this, the length of the fuselage was increased by 11 feet, and a pair of aerodynamic tail fairings were added aft of the trailing edge, these fairings extending beyond the end of the afterburner tailpipe in a pair of characteristic protrusions. These tail fairings were for purely aerodynamic purposes and had no other function. A new cockpit canopy with a sharper leading edge was fitted, although it had an adverse effect on overall visibility. Cambered leading edges were fitted to the thin delta wings to improve the behavior of the thin airfoil at high angles of attack, and the wingtips were given wash-in.

A J57-P-23 engine was fitted, which was considerably lighter and more powerful than the previous J57-P-11. The J57-P-23 engine was rated at 11,700 lb.s.t. dry and 17,200 lb.s.t. with afterburning. The aircraft was lightened by reducing excess structures no longer required by the lighter engine. The new aircraft was given the designation YF-102A.

Designated Model 8-90, the first of four YF-102As (53-1787/1790) was rolled out at San Diego just 117 days after redesign had started. It was trucked out to Edwards AFB and took off on its maiden flight on December 20, 1954. On the next day, Mach 1 was easily exceeded, fully confirming the predictions of the area rule. It soon reached a top speed of Mach 1.2 in level flight. In addition, the aircraft could still keep on climbing after reaching 51,600 feet.
A milestone was reached on July 8, 1955, when a YF-102A fired six Falcon missiles and 24 unguided rockets in less than 10 seconds.

The retooling required by the changes in the YF-102A played havoc with the Cook-Craigie plan for early production. Fully two-thirds of the 30,000 tools that had been purchased had to be thrown out and new ones acquired. Following the costly re-tooling procedure, full production of the F-102A began at the Convair plant in San Diego. The first production Model 8-10 or F-102A (53-1791) flew on June 24, 1955 and was delivered to the Air Force five days later. It had a J57-P-23 engine.

In the full production F-102A, the wings were moved aft, and fuselage length was increased by more than 16 feet over the original YF-102. The wingspan was increased from 37 feet to 38 feet 1 1/2 inches, the wing area increased from 661 square feet to 695 square feet, and the gross weight increased from 26,404 pounds to 28,150 pounds.

The initial production run of 40 aircraft (production blocks -5 through -25) were all employed in research and development work, and none entered operational service with the USAF. As a result of the tests, some significant airframe changes were made, including a three-foot addition to the height of the tail fin. This new tail fin was devised as a cure for some high-speed instability problems that had turned up during flight testing and was first tested in December of 1955. It was introduced as standard on all F-102As built after the 25th example, and earlier F-102As were retrofitted with this new taller fin.

YF-102A - F-102A.jpg

F-102A fin change.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but there was a fair bit of talk about the requirement of the RAF to have supersonic fighter-bombers, because there was no need.

I came across this little nugget of info on Radfan Hunters with regards to the Radfan campaign in Aden in early 1964.

.........the number of incursions by Yemeni aircraft increased and included one raid in which two Migs escorted an armed helicopter on a bombing and machine gun attack on the village of Bulaq near Beihan........

This raid wasn't intercepted and no combat ensued, but the RAF did lay on some hefty strikes from the Wing of Hunters.

Two days later, two FGA.9s .....were scrambled at 12:10 to intercept an unidentified aircraft heading for Mukeiras from the Yemen but it did not cross the border............

One Yemeni faction was supported by Egypt, so those Mig might have been Egyptian and Egypt had Mig 21s. A worthy opponent for Lightning fighter-bombers if they had been adopted instead of Hunter FGA/FRs.