As far as i know both rounds are supposed to be the same in case diameter and length.
Hrm. Interesting. That certainly removes one easy choice option.

Things the projectile diameter, max./min. ... pressure are different.
Given equal length penetrators, I'd rather have the one that runs at the lower pressure. Gives you more development room later on.

And even if one is some 10-50mm longer the extra 10mm diameter are also „important“ for NLOS munitions.
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. The Javelin is a 120mm (or close to that) diameter, so if the seeker etc fits in that form factor it'll fit in either one just fine.

Given equal length penetrators, I'd rather have the one that runs at the lower pressure. Gives you more development room later on.
I try to look into it later to which has which.
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. The Javelin is a 120mm (or close to that) diameter, so if the seeker etc fits in that form factor it'll fit in either one just fine.
Yes they javelin which both don't produce. In the end the 140mm makes it easier for france to refit ther MMP for example to which germany (rheinmetall) has no alternative.

Slightly amused that Rheinmetall managed to make an uncrewed turret which appears larger than most crewed turrets. On brand.

So the 140mm Ascalon has a normal 120mm round case diameter of 160mm with 169mm at the rim. But its supposed to be 130cm long or 1300mm. The 130mm L52 also has 1.3m long muntion.
And for some reason my brain went to "Let's just go ahead and go for the Supershot idea, punch the bore all the way out to ~160mm**" with no bottleneck to the case or taper.

** Note that if it was a brass case it'd be more like 155mm to account for case wall thickness.

But both the 130mm and 140mm have the same chamber volume and overall length? Okay, my vote is for the 140mm due to lower current operating pressures.