Douglas ROMBUS

Irish,

Great Bono collection on Flickr...thank you for the link.

I would have loved to meet Phil Bono, but he was before my time. He was a visionary.

Cheers from Texas

Intersting

ROMBUS as Space Station
27760703036_ff917be939_b.jpg

Also for Project Selene as Moon base
27767539636_f0b2b72927_o.jpg

What shape are the fuel tanks? They look circular in x-section at the top, but then flat at the bottom end.

Paul Lloyd said:
What shape are the fuel tanks? They look circular in x-section at the top, but then flat at the bottom end.

see for your self
27183947243_e0fd9ec8ee_o.jpg

Here the color version of that B/W graphic
and internal view of ROMBUS stage

What for glorious time were had only paint & canvas, and no CGI to create this vision...

Attachments

• 25876671334_da60f3c44e_b.jpg
    25876671334_da60f3c44e_b.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 26415436571_abf2329df0_b 2.jpg
    26415436571_abf2329df0_b 2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 181
So, all hydrogen was external of the airframe. I assume the two spherical tanks in the plug, near the turbine exhaust, are for the propulsive landing?

What grand plans and glee for the 'new' technology in those long-ago decades. Today, only halting steps (started and abandoned) toward plug/aerospike engines.

Thank god for Rutan, Musk, Bezos, Bond and Branson. They're getting the ball rolling again. Hurray for the privet-sector!

David

merriman said:
So, all hydrogen was external of the airframe. I assume the two spherical tanks in the plug, near the turbine exhaust, are for the propulsive landing?

What grand plans and glee for the 'new' technology in those long-ago decades. Today, only halting steps (started and abandoned) toward plug/aerospike engines.

Thank god for Rutan, Musk, Bezos, Bond and Branson. They're getting the ball rolling again. Hurray for the privet-sector!

David

Next to main eight fuel tanks (reusable) has core stage two internal hydrogen tanks
One is needed to cooled the Aerospike engine that serve now as heat shield during reentry
The other Hydrogen tank is used for landing engine, 4 of 36 engine segment of Aerospike engine.

This concept was created in 1965
50 years later not Douglas realize the concept, but small rebellious Aerospace companies like Blue Origin and SpaceX manage ballistic recovery of Spacecraft
Phillip Bono would so proud about this what Musk and Bezos realize.

so that "Prove of Concept" is made, wen they start to build smaller ROMBUS ?

Anybody interested in this stuff might want to head over here:

http://www.amazon.com/Frontiers-Pocket-encyclopaedia-spaceflight-colour/dp/071373504X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463009793&sr=1-1&keywords=Frontiers+of+Space+%28The+Pocket+encyclopaedia+of+spaceflight+in+colour%29

Picked mine up for about $14. 250 pages, about the size of a large paperback. Lots of text, many pictures I've seen before and some I've not.

Attachments

• 91HR0jLhZLL.jpg
    91HR0jLhZLL.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 857
Just a note on this book series. Some of the books had two editions and both editions are worth getting as some of the information and illustrations in the first edition didn't make it into the second edition.

Hello!

I was truly amazed with those projects!
Although, I have some doubt, could it be realized in the proposed spending and time frame?
Those plug nozzles seems, in my humble opinion, to be a unexplored technology, at least requiring extensive testing.
Most of rocket engines till nowadays have been built with more conventional shape of nozzle, don't they?
Mr. Bono offer interesting project, but could it be realized - I'm looking forward to your' opinions, space enthusiasts!

Thanks in advance!

Some new pictures of the Douglas ROMBUS in Philip Bono Collection at San Diego Air and Space Museum Archives, posted yesterday.
Update!!! :eek: B)
Philip Bono Collection Images at San Diego Air and Space Museum Archives
Link:

Silencer1 said:
Hello!

Although, I have some doubt, could it be realized in the proposed spending and time frame?
Those plug nozzles seems, in my humble opinion, to be a unexplored technology, at least requiring extensive testing.
Most of rocket engines till nowadays have been built with more conventional shape of nozzle, don't they?
Mr. Bono offer interesting project, but could it be realized - I'm looking forward to your' opinions, space enthusiasts!

Thanks in advance!

See below. Apparently keeping the "spike" cool is one of the main drawbacks.

Attachments

• J-2.png
    J-2.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 540
  • J-2.gif
    J-2.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 561
Archibald said:
I plan to buy this very book for my coming birthday.

Got it, very nice book. those were the days.

A month later... I'm deep into that book, particularly the Space Marines transporter. Seems I got the 1976 re-edition which bravely tackle the "coming" space shuttle.

Bezos got my hopes up with his Kankoh Maru type Goddard test craft...I thought he might be the one to bring Bono's work back to life. The last I heard of strap-tanks that could fall away was Wade's early drawing of Angara...how legit that was I don't know. Bono looked at rockets as payloads. Scott had a single shot torus station the print of which I lost to a plumbing disaster..so I hope he posts that here and his rockets of unusual shape. I wonder if you could launch a huge flat plate by having OTRAG pods to either side waterfall off during staging. The few remaining tubes as struts...

Bezos got my hopes up with his Kankoh Maru type Goddard test craft...I thought he might be the one to bring Bono's work back to life. The last I heard of strap-tanks that could fall away was Wade's early drawing of Angara...how legit that was I don't know. Bono looked at rockets as payloads. Scott had a single shot torus station the print of which I lost to a plumbing disaster..so I hope he posts that here and his rockets of unusual shape. I wonder if you could launch a huge flat plate by having OTRAG pods to either side waterfall off during staging. The few remaining tubes as struts...
After a few decades of dabbling (both professionally and off the clock) in the area of RLVs, my conclusion is you either go truly fully reusable or not at all. Can you imagine an economically viable airliner with drop tanks? I don't think so, but be my guest.

Last edited:
I have had a lifelong fascination with Philip Bono’s SSTO designs. It started with a visit in the early 1970’s to Disneyland. There was an attraction called Flight To the Moon and it was sponsored by McDonnell Douglas. Before each “flight” visitors were briefed before Mission Control (inhabited by audio-animatronic people). At one point the visitors were shown the spacecraft they were to fly in-it was a ROMBUS (although it was not called that). Attached is a publicity photo of it.

Attachments

• 7F66F9E4-3F26-49CD-8AC8-DF0B57C73935.jpeg
    7F66F9E4-3F26-49CD-8AC8-DF0B57C73935.jpeg
    469.4 KB · Views: 97
Silencer1 said:
Hello!

Thanks in advance!

See below. Apparently keeping the "spike" cool is one of the main drawbacks.

Which is interesting because Bono's designs feature 'plug-nozzle' engines which double as re-entry heat shields. Can't remember off hand if they were supposed to be actively or passively cooled during re-entry. That said, modern materials might allow for a reappraisal of a passive cooled re-entry approach.

I have had a lifelong fascination with Philip Bono’s SSTO designs. It started with a visit in the early 1970’s to Disneyland. There was an attraction called Flight To the Moon and it was sponsored by McDonnell Douglas. Before each “flight” visitors were briefed before Mission Control (inhabited by audio-animatronic people). At one point the visitors were shown the spacecraft they were to fly in-it was a ROMBUS (although it was not called that). Attached is a publicity photo of it.

Wow, that's truly fantastic.

Philip Bono's Hyperion SSTO (by Hazegrayart)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/zCnEVKu2oA8
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
From the description:
"
Philip Bono's impressive single-stage-to-orbit design from the 1960s, the "Hyperion," captivated the aerospace industry with its innovative features. This remarkable vehicle, equipped with a plug-nozzle engine for ascent and re-entry heat shield, was capable of transporting 18,100 kg of payload or up to 110 passengers to orbit in just 45 minutes, or to any point on earth.

One unique aspect of the Hyperion was its launch method - a horizontal takeoff and vertical landing (HTVL) sled that provided a 300 m/s boost to the vehicle before it ascended to orbit. The sled was 3 km long with a straight course followed by a 1 km ascent up a mountainside, providing a 3 G acceleration.

This sled launch mode not only reduced the SSTO's dry mass, but it also made the Hyperion fully reusable, ideal for flights from inland sites, where fuel tanks wouldn't have to be dropped during flight. The Hyperion traveled at an astonishing 1100 km/h as it left the sled at the end of the 3 km launch rail.

However, the Hyperion's launch system required a 1.7 km high mountain, which made Douglas, the manufacturer, view the concept mainly as an experimental vehicle. Despite this, Douglas projected the cost to develop the Hyperion at $1.5 billion ($8 billion in 1999 economic conditions), with a cost per seat of $3000, or $15000-16000 in 1999.

In conclusion, Philip Bono's Hyperion design was a groundbreaking creation in the aerospace industry, showcasing the possibilities of a single-stage-to-orbit vehicle with unique takeoff and landing capabilities. Although it was viewed as experimental, the Hyperion remains a remarkable achievement in the history of space exploration"

Which is interesting because Bono's designs feature 'plug-nozzle' engines which double as re-entry heat shields. Can't remember off hand if they were supposed to be actively or passively cooled during re-entry. That said, modern materials might allow for a reappraisal of a passive cooled re-entry approach.

Active since the plug had LH2 circulating through the heat shield and then dumped overboard taking the heat with it. A modern version would likely still use an active system but as an active system a lot of folks don't trust them and would rather have passive (ablative) systems.

Randy

Philip Bono master piece
"Reusable Orbital Module-Booster & Utility Shuttle"from 1964

is SSTO (VTOVL) with payload 450 tons in 185 km Orbit.
with a plug nozzle rocket engine design, used also as heat shield during atmospheric reentry.
most of LH2 fuel is in 8 external tanks (4 drop after 130 sec, 2 after 196 sec, last 2 after 300 seconds)

Variants

Pegasus
SSTO (VTOVL) with payload 90 tons in 185 km Orbit
main use for Pegasus is intercontinental flight !
172 passengers and their luggage from Vandenberg to Singapore in 39 minutes. (the 12,000 km)

Ithacus Sr.
SSTO (VTOVL) with payload 450 tons in 185 km Orbit.
a 1,200 soldier intercontinental troop transporter ! ! !

Ithacus Jr.
SSTO (VTOVL) with payload 33.5 tons in 185 km Orbit.
a 260 soldiers intercontinental troop transporter
(some illustration show lift-off from aircraftcarrier ! )

also proposed Bono to use the ROMBUS for Moon and Mars Mission
refueled in orbit and launch
like Project SELENA (Moon)
or Project DEIMOS (Mars)

i Found those model Picture from Douglas
here is its labeled ROMBUS/ITHACUS (Wat make sense because it same size and launch mass.)
but this rocket on right, is on next picture payload of ROMBUS

got some one more detail Info about ROMBUS (in PDF perhaps) ?
and about this picture Payload ?

source of ROMBUS ITHACUS Models
Capture d’écran 2024-03-04 à 16.24.39.png