DDG(X) - Arleigh Burke Replacement

Also every pound more of steel means more power for the same Speed which in the end means more fuel burned even if it may not be used. So a ship with 10% extra structure which they may never use but was there in case it was needed could cost each years millions of dollar in fuel cost allone.
That's an extreme simplification of hydrodynamics that does not allways work out.

Also, they're going to have to pay a bunch in extra fuel costs just to meet electrical power needs anyway, the marginal operating cost of a larger ship needing more propulsion power is IMO pretty small.

On the other hand, would not DDGX use systems already developed? SPY-6, SLQ-32(7), mk41, the IPS from Zumwalt, etc?

Though the methodology clearly is off if they just went off hull size.

On the other hand, would not DDGX use systems already developed? SPY-6, SLQ-32(7), mk41, the IPS from Zumwalt, etc?

It would take a lot Off things that are already developted tought some things are gonna be improved like the IPS (If i remember it right).

It’s my understanding that just about everything except the powerplant can be directly lifted from the Zumwalts or Flight IIIs.

It’s my understanding that just about everything except the powerplant can be directly lifted from the Zumwalts or Flight IIIs.
Wondering what you were thinking of that will be lifted from Zumwalt for the DDG(X), as don't think it will be any of be any the new systems specifically developed for the Zumwalt - AGS 155mm main guns, Mk 57 VLS cells, SPY-3 & SPY-4 Dual Band Radar, SQS-60 & 61 sonars or the combat system the Total Ship Computing Environment  (TSCE).

Wondering what you were thinking of that will be lifted from Zumwalt for the DDG(X)
The powerplant is expected to be a further evolution of Zumwalt’s IPS.
A lot of the automation stuff will probably get reused, the manpower shortages will only get worse with time.
The technologies to reduce the RCS and sonar profile will probably be reused too, although not quite as extreme.