APCs before the end of WW2.

This has some reference elements similar in the HS 30. Coincidence?

Cheaper in the USA @ 20 dollars there.

Last edited:

This has some reference elements similar in the HS 30. Coincidence?

Cheaper in the USA @ 20 dollars there.

There are a lot of design features from weapons, equipment, and vehicles that inspired later iterations of the same things. Whether or not these were directly inspired or of a passing resemblance is left unsaid. The Ho-299 and the B-2 come to mind with that line of thinking. In the end, some things can just be made in a vacuum. Post-WW2, many lessons were to be learned, and much battle doctrine was either rewritten or still being written, ergo the same could be said about vehicle design, keeping both capability and functionality in mind—food for thought.

I get you, the Mark IX as an example of the thinking of an APC in the closing stages of WW1, stagnant thinking in the between wars and on to the early half tracked vehicles.

The leap back to fully tracked vehicles is not so far of a stretch either, converted RAM tanks etc with their canvas tops being little more than a tracked lorry, just much more useful for carrying infantry in the immediate vicinity of shellfire etc.

I would really like to find the 'Monkey in the middle', the spark that pointed folk towards the genesis of the IFV with a capability, even if limited, to lay down covering fire for the debussed passengers in the assault.

It is a fascinating diversion imho.

I get you, the Mark IX as an example of the thinking of an APC in the closing stages of WW1, stagnant thinking in the between wars and on to the early half tracked vehicles.

The leap back to fully tracked vehicles is not so far of a stretch either, converted RAM tanks etc with their canvas tops being little more than a tracked lorry, just much more useful for carrying infantry in the immediate vicinity of shellfire etc.

I would really like to find the 'Monkey in the middle', the spark that pointed folk towards the genesis of the IFV with a capability, even if limited, to lay down covering fire for the debussed passengers in the assault.

It is a fascinating diversion imho.
Lots of experimentation and learning from mistakes. I do not really think there was a "missing link". It would be nice because that would simplify things greatly. It's more likely everyone just came to the same conclusion simultaneously due to shared experiences. I really think by the early Cold War, most nations had a pretty good idea of what a proper APC should be, and what purpose it would come to serve, though it would take decades of implementation and refinement to perfect them. Some would be better than others. The same could be said of the role of tanks, aircraft, and infantry weapons because many so-called specialty roles were phased out in favor of a more streamlined, standardized approach.

The attachments below are several different approaches to adapting already existing powertrains to serve the role of the APC by the war's end, as a dedicated purpose-built APC, was still not a solid concept past 1945.

Attachments

• ATP-1.jpg
    ATP-1.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 4
  • M3 Halftrack Spaced Armor Concept.jpg
    M3 Halftrack Spaced Armor Concept.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 5
  • T13.jpg
    T13.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 4
  • BTR-152.jpg
    BTR-152.jpg