Almaz-Antey S-400 Triumph / SA-21 Growler TABM/SAM

Cluster munitions again proving their unreplaceable value. Two conclusions from this war - drones are now very important and cluster munitions are still important and need to be re-introduced to military procurement thinking. GPS-immunity or just use cluster munitions?
Well south korea seems to have gotten the right idea.

GILMERS sized rocket with cluster munitions both GPS (200 munitions) and non GPS (500 munitions) options.

Hasn't there been some reports in the past few days that the Ukrainians have destroyed another three SA-21 batteries?
Nobody uses the NATO codes anymore. We know what all of these systems are actually called.

While these days there is a lot more information on Russian designations for most of their weapon systems, many of them can still be pretty confusing for things like SAMs. There are often so many varieties where it must be quite difficult for any pilot to memorize what he's up against, especially with the Russian designations. I'm sure the reporting names, especially for things like radars, are useful too. Big slab looking radar on a big 8x8 truck? Probably a GRAVE STONE or TOMB STONE and it kind of looks like one. Easier to remember than whatever the exact designation.

As far as I know these designations are still in use.
If they’re in common use, what’s the NATO designation for the S-500? And how often have you seen the Panstir referred to as the “Greyhound?”

I think in hindsight, NATO designations lost a lot of credibility in the Reagan era when names were chosen for political expediency. Laudatory names were assigned such as Flanker and Fulcrum to justify domestic defense spending. And the name Akula (Shark),which rightfully belonged to the “Typhoon” SSBN, was assigned to the SSN class that the Soviets largely saw as an iterative Victor III successor. Everyone forgets that the Victor III was Shchuka (Pike) and the wrongly named “Akula” was the Shchuka B (Pike B). It was all was an attempt to ensure funding by overestimating the “Akula.”

The s-500 Is Prometheus and nato names are still the only ones used in nato militarys as far as im aware. Aka if a nato service member sees a s-500 then he is going to report it as s-500 or Prometheus or both not 55R6M Triumfator.

If they’re in common use, what’s the NATO designation for the S-500? And how often have you seen the Panstir referred to as the “Greyhound?”

The NATO military no doubt still uses those designations.

I think in hindsight, NATO designations lost a lot of credibility in the Reagan era when names were chosen for political expediency.

What? That sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

And the name Akula (Shark),which rightfully belonged to the “Typhoon” SSBN, was assigned to the SSN class that the Soviets largely saw as an iterative Victor III successor.

IIRC they used the term "Akula" IIRC because they'd run out of names otherwise to refer to new Russian submarine variants.