AIM-174 Very Long Range AAM (SM-6)

View: https://x.com/alexhollings52/status/1836524701218218174?s=46
I think most Alex posts come with an asterisk but this is pretty interesting assuming he scaled them properly

I think something is amiss. Assuming the missile closest to the camera is AMRAAM and the fourth one over is Meteor, they are not in the right scale to each other (or the camera has some wicked foreshortening happening because it's shooting wide angle)

@Colonial-Marine : sorry but I deleted my post fearing the joke was too light.
But now my joke makes less sense. Oh well, no big deal.

I think something is amiss. Assuming the missile closest to the camera is AMRAAM and the fourth one over is Meteor, they are not in the right scale to each other (or the camera has some wicked foreshortening happening because it's shooting wide angle)
I was going to comment on that thinking it might be Meteor. Meteor in reality is the same size as AMRAAM, well at least the body of the missile is. 7" diameter and same length, so something looks off there, unless the lens perspective is really skewing things like you said.

The dimensions of AIM-120 and SM-2 are very accessible. SM-6 is probably quite close in length and identical in diameter. It clearly is a very large missile, as most medium-long range SAMs are. But even in limited numbers it has some range and networking advantages, given the USN NIFCA architecture.

The dimensions of AIM-120 and SM-2 are very accessible. SM-6 is probably quite close in length and identical in diameter. It clearly is a very large missile, as most medium-long range SAMs are. But even in limited numbers it has some range and networking advantages, given the USN NIFCA architecture.
Bigger and heavier than the old AIM-54 Phoenix even. I can't help but think pilots tasked with hauling those things would benefit from the extra thrust the Navy could have gotten out of an improved F414 variant for the Super Hornet.

The SM-6 is both longer and wider than the AMRAAM, 13.5" vs 7" diameters, 15' 10" (Less the 68" Mk-72 booster) vs 12'.

I meant SM-2 vs SM-6. I do not think exact SM-6 length is known sans mk72, but it should be more or less SM-2 equivalent.

View: https://x.com/alexhollings52/status/1836524701218218174?s=46
I think most Alex posts come with an asterisk but this is pretty interesting assuming he scaled them properly
No, he did not.

Looks like a regular Apple keyboard to me, those models obviously aren't scaled 1:1 to their real-world counterparts*, but I assume they are all the same scale and so can be compared with each other. What is the missile to the right of the CUDA or whatever the mini-missile is? Is that some kind of 250lb bomb further to the right?

*That is unless the guy happens to be some kind of giant and bought some giant-sized Mac and Steam Deck. In which case he could probably throw a real AIM-120 at someone like a javelin.
No, those missiles are NOT scaled to each other.

From closest to the keyboard:
AIM9
Mk80series 1000lb bomb (with a bad model, there's no cylindrical sections on a Mk80 series!)
Meteor, but out of scale because it should be the same length as AIM-120.
Something weirdly off scale, but it looks like a greatly shortened ESSM. Maybe a CUDA/Halfraam (but I thought those didn't have strakes)?
SM6
AIM-120

The only really useful comparison is that of the SM6 to the AMRAAM. The SM6 is in the neighborhood of 13.5" in diameter and 21'6" long (length is an estimate, diameter is known), and is 1900lbs.

I do not think exact SM-6 length is known sans mk72

The Mk-72 is 68" long (5' 8"). @Scott Kenny pointed out my maths error.

Mk80series 1000lb bomb (with a bad model, there's no cylindrical sections on a Mk80 series!)

You are right about the cylindrical centre-section however I looked closely at the model and it may not be that of a Mk-83 1,000Lb GP bomb but that of a B61 Mod 12 fitted with the JDAM tail-kit.

Last edited:
The Mk-72 is 68" long (5' 2").
5'8" but yes.

Which can give us a maximum possible length for the SM6, that of the length of a Mk41 tactical cell. 266"-68"=198", 16'6". Or, if the SM6s are stuffed into Strike length cells, those are 303" long for a max missile length of 235", 19'7".

You are right about the cylindrical centre-section however I looked closely at the model and it may not be that of a Mk-83 1,000Lb GP bomb but that of a B61 Mod 12 fitted with the JDAM tail-kit.
You may be right. B61 is a straight cylinder for a chunk of its length. And I think the JDAM tail is shorter than the standard B61 tail, which would make a Mod 12 within a couple inches of the length of a Sidewinder.

I like how the wingspan is too small but diameter to big.

But going based on Nav.mil we get for the SM-6 Block 1A:
Length: Approx. 21 feet, 6 inches or 6.55 meters
Wingspan: Approx. 3 feet, 6 inches or 1.08 meters
Diameter: isn't given but we all know that the MK 72 is 21 inches or ~533mm and the upperstage is 13.5 inches or 343mm

We know the MK.72 is 21 inches wide and 68 inches long.

So 258 in - 68 in makes 190 in or 4.82m which makes sense as the normal SM-6 has to have some kind of interface for the MK.72 booster which makes it longer than the SM-2 (except the SM-2 Block IV's). But it could also be one of the other SM-6 specific parts "fault".

How many times do you guys wanne debate about the length?

1000049326.png
1000049322.jpg

Last edited: