AI art and creative content creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
AI image training

Last edited:
Merged AI art topics.

People with well aired opinions on either side should consider their existing positions known, and concentrate on new discussions.

Last edited:
In the aftermath of revelations that Sports Illustrated published AI-generated articles with fake authors and then covered it up, staffers are fed up.

Early Monday, Futurism reported SI’s use of AI content. SI reportedly took author headshots from AI databases and published some AI-generated work under these authors’ names. After Futurism reached out to SI and its owner, Arena Group, the articles were no longer up.

“If true, these practices violate everything we believe in about journalism,” the SI Union wrote in a statement signed “The Humans of Sports Illustrated.”

“We deplore being associated with something so disrespectful to our readers.”

Hadn't thought of it that way, but, yes.
I gotta laugh at that... the billions spent on "AI arts & humanities" are a drop in the bucket compared to the student loan debt for arts & humanities. Eventually the AI will catch up, and future kids will no longer need to be burdened with years of schooling and trillions in debt to take up a career now done by dumb machines.

It's a pity AI can't learn to spell Twitter posts better or use some basic grammar.

The empty smile

Defense

The original 'Sports Illustrated' used AI to write articles and lied about it article has been tracked down.

There was nothing in Drew Ortiz's author biography at Sports Illustrated to suggest that he was anything other than human.

"Drew has spent much of his life outdoors, and is excited to guide you through his never-ending list of the best products to keep you from falling to the perils of nature," it read. "Nowadays, there is rarely a weekend that goes by where Drew isn't out camping, hiking, or just back on his parents' farm."

The only problem? Outside of Sports Illustrated, Drew Ortiz doesn't seem to exist. He has no social media presence and no publishing history. And even more strangely, his profile photo on Sports Illustrated is for sale on a website that sells AI-generated headshots, where he's described as "neutral white young-adult male with short brown hair and blue eyes."

And an editorial about it has appeared in the Washington Post,

If you still think of Sports Illustrated as a paragon of stylish longform journalism, I have two terrible pieces of news for you: 1. SI is down to just a few flimsy issues a year. It lurches forward mostly on online listicles and the last few people who think swimsuits are the apex of erotica. 2. Paid subscribers no longer receive a sneaker phone.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/12/01/ai-sports-illustrated-bot-journalism/

Is this the world's first AI-generated documentary?

Alan Warburton was commissioned by the ODI's Data as Culture programme to bring us 'The Wizard of AI,' a 20-minute video essay about the cultural impacts of generative AI. It was produced over three weeks at the end of October 2023, one year after the release of the infamous Midjourney v4, which the artist treats as "gamechanger" for visual cultures and creative economies. According to the artist, the video itself is "99% AI" and was produced using generative AI tools like Midjourney, Stable Diffusion, Runway and Pika. Yet the artist is careful to temper the hype of these new tools, or as he says, to give in to the "wonder-panic" brought about by generative AI. Using creative workflows unthinkable before October 2023, he takes us on a colourful journey behind the curtain of AI - through Oz, pink slime, Kanye's 'Futch' and a deep sea dredge - to explain and critique the legal, aesthetic and ethical problems engendered by AI-automated platforms. Most importantly, he focusses on the real impacts this disruptive wave of technology continues to have on artists and designers around the world.

View: https://vimeo.com/884929644

AI can now generate new images at a rate exceeding 100 per second... fur times faster than standard frame rate. While these are all different still images, video won;t be far behind. A single AI will soon be able to generate movies much faster than they can actually be watched, flooding the market. Even if the bulk of them are garbage and only a few are watchable and a tiny fraction are good, that will still results in far more good AI movies than mediocre human-movies.

View: https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele/status/1732619309334311171

Better get those scripts ready that I was planning to write, but never actually did, because I know how much more work comes after writing...
Or I can let an AI write a dozen drafts, choose one and let the AI complete the story...
Just need to edit it and feed it to the next AI for animation.
AI voices can be made, animation can be made from voices with AI.
Boys, I am going to make me a movie :)

Now they will want to ban it...

Oh, and you don't need a space program either

Back to the caves with you....ugh

Now they will want to ban it...

Oh, and you don't need a space program either

Back to the caves with you....ugh
To quote Elon Musk...

As I have been reading the entries on this thread, I am getting the sense that this AI stuff is getting more and more disturbingly disruptive, and could possibly cause a breakdown in humanity's evolutionary path forward.

some feller who died of a politically popular self-inflicted disease long ago
Keith Haring died of AIDS in 1990. He campaigned for AIDS cures, safe sex, against crack-use.
Learn from your mistakes, spread the word so others don't repeat them.
Tainted blood transfusions played a large part in the spread of AIDS.

Politically popular - bleurgh.

Last edited:
What the AI art says about people

Predictions

Here we go

Last edited:
In my view the main problem is that any current so-called AI is at its very core simply not *creative*, because it's (thankfully) not yet really truly *intelligent*, let alone *conscious* or *self-aware*, and needs to be "trained" on curated existing human generated input. As a thought experiment, imagine putting a fully technically mature (TRL 9), (self?) aware, mobile, and dexterous, but completely untrained AI robot entity in the Lascaux cave area along with its original human inhabitants in a painting competition and wait who will produce the first intelligible mural. True evidence for any genuine AI is really not passing the completely reactive, non-creative Turing test, but instead responding to genuinely open ended creative challenges in any intellectual arena, be they in the STEM field, the liberal (or, for some more or less dear readers in certain parts of the USA as well as the world at large, illiberal) arts, or any other area of human intellectual progress, achievement, and endeavor. For example, I'd dearly love to challenge any *advanced* AI to produce a physically and mathematically valid and verifiable formulation of a Unified Field Theory. True intelligence requires actively seeking out and critically evaluating and processing information instead of merely being passively force fed and indoctrinated, but I'll readily concede that based on that criterion a whole lot of humans wouldn't pass the intelligence bar either...

Last edited:
In my view the main issue is that any current so-called AI is at its core simply not *creative*, because it's (thankfully not yet really) truly *intelligent*, let alone *conscious* or *self-aware*, and needs to be "trained" on existing human generated input. As a thought experiment, imagine putting a fully technically mature (TRL 9), aware, mobile, and dexterous, but completely untrained AI entity in the Lascaux cave area along with its original inhabitants in a painting competition and wait who will produce the first intelligible mural. True evidence for any AI is not passing the completely reactive, non-creative Turing test, but responding to genuinely creative challenges in any intellectual arena, be they in the STEM field, the liberal (or, for some readers in certain parts of the USA as well as the world at large, illiberal) arts, or any other area of human intellectual progress and endeavor. For example, I'd dearly like to challenge any *advanced* AI to produce a valid formulation of a Unified Field Theory. True intelligence requires actively seeking out and critically evaluating information instead of being passively force fed and indoctrinated, but I'll readily concede that based on that criterion a whole lot of humans wouldn't pass the intelligence bar either...

You know what ? to me, present A.I is like a sponge. A sponge, yes: a sponge that absorbs the entirety of the Internet and use that to fake "real" intelligence (either human or Turing test).

You know what ? to me, present A.I is like a sponge. A sponge, yes: a sponge that absorbs the entirety of the Internet and use that to fake "real" intelligence (either human or Turing test).
I completely concur - current "AI" is simply absorbing, processing and regurgitating information it has been force fed. The stress test for any "true" AI would be to expose it to raw reality without being "trained" on any controlled inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.