AI art and creative content creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tested that New Adobe AI in the latest Photoshop Beta and it is impressive on a lot of subjects. Especially faces. I used a picture of a bottompart of a face and it could reconstruct the rest of the face using the information on the lowerhalf. ( the face was painted gold ) and that exact color was used on the generated face. A friend of mine could help out an old lady combining pictures of her grandkids and could fill in parts that were cut out of the photos ( top of a head for example) and the AI could place all 3 kids from different pictures onto a new picture with a new background, making a seamless result. Would have taken him days, now fixed in half an hour... Most of that time was for fixing small errors that the AI left in. Still knowing how to use Photoshop properly will help a lot. Crap in will still cause crap out, just a bit less crap out.

I gave the OpenAI-based DALL-E 2 15 of my hard-earned dollars to create some unique and unusual aviation-centric images, starting with a simple prompt: “Black and white photographs of Top Secret stealth aircraft hidden in Area 51 with men in suits and military uniforms looking on from the side.”
Not what i had in mind.. I was expecting him to show us secret aircraft from the 21ST CENTURY when i saw the headline. The images are frankly a blurry mess, he should have gone with MJ instead, and avoided the B&W photograph prompt.

One thing I've seen Procedurally Generated Art (aka 'AI Art') used for is to disguise black & white 'Creature Features' as something much more modern and hip...

The attached examples all come from one YouTube channel that seems to be using out of copyright films to bulk up it's back catalog.

Attachments

• Man_Beast.png
    Man_Beast.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Santa_Claus_Conquers_The_Martians.png
    Santa_Claus_Conquers_The_Martians.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 20
  • The_Astounding_She_Creature.png
    The_Astounding_She_Creature.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 21
  • The_Beast_With_A_Million_Eyes.png
    The_Beast_With_A_Million_Eyes.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 20
  • The_Brain_That_Wouldn't_Die.png
    The_Brain_That_Wouldn't_Die.png
    136 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Aging images

Sorting things out

Programming

Enhance
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/midjourney/comments/168e1gg/how_to_make_vector_illustrations_with_midjourney/

Last edited:
Hearing a lot about "Efficient ViT" lately...

Nice field effect cartoon

Last edited:
Interesting, how does one get hold of Spellburst?

Stanford will release it as open source later…maybe contact the university?

On Phys.org today:

"AI generated speech brings a personal voice to books."

DeepZen LTD. digitized/sampled the voice of actor Edward Hermann and now have a more emotional sounding inflection (Large-scale Automatic Audiobook Creation)--courtesy of the Gutenberg Project.

Watermarks

Image scrapers

Watch that game

Last edited:
A way to screen for unsafe images
https://techxplore.com/news/2023-11-filter-tackle-unsafe-ai-generated-images.html

More news

good for turning sci-fi model covers into 3D prints?

Last edited:
(AI) can be useful no doubt, I ran an automotive render I did some time ago and got this.

Attachments

• Alfa Tipo 33 Stradale promeai.com.jpg
    Alfa Tipo 33 Stradale promeai.com.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 28
AI is a powerful capability that can be used as a beneficial tool or a malicious weapon, but for the foreseeable future it will only serve any purposes at the behest of humans that control it. And as long as there is no artificial consciousness, it will remain that way. Simple as that.

A recent boardgame (Terraforming Mars) used AI to generate artwork for their game rather than paying artists to do it.

The result is apparently a decent game, but it looks like incoherent dogshit visually (some pics are fine, but no consistent artistic vision). I'm not going to buy it. Beautiful artwork is part of the expensive boardgame experience.

The result is apparently a decent game, but it looks like incoherent dogshit visually (some pics are fine, but no consistent artistic vision).
A problem with early AI art generators. A problem that seems to have either been fixed, or is being fixed. In any event it *will* be fixed. Early adopters of *any* technology get to experience the bugs.

Think it's a wholly AI problem? Then reconcile the "artistic vision" of Star Trek Discovery with the rest of Star Trek. Humans *massively* screwed the pooch on that.

A recent boardgame (Terraforming Mars) used AI to generate artwork for their game rather than paying artists to do it.

This is a line of description I've seen a lot "rather than paying human artists." Well... when I was an engineer, I did my own math using spreadsheets and such. Rather than paying human computers to do it, as was done in the Before Times. I did my own typing, rather than paying a human secretary. Today nobody thinks twice about automating such things. Art will likely be no different.

Right now, I would not for a second contemplate using an AI to illustrate one of my aerospace publications; telling an AI "I was a piece depicting the B-70A carrying a Dyna Soar payload with blah blah blah" just seems like way too damned much trouble to get accurate. I *might* use AI to mock up some art, such as getting the composition the way I like it, but the actual product... I'd want a human to do it. But my crappy science fiction, like my "War With the Deep Ones" scribblings... if I were to self publish, I suspect AI cover art might work out just fine. Especially since there's virtually no chance in hell my self published works would sell enough to actually pay an artist. Selling a dozen copies on Amazon does not cover the electric bill involved in just emailing back and forth with the artist.

Your earlier comment about libraries struck a sad chord: Our city library was renowned, but decided that much of its sprawling reference collection could be discarded, as "Everything is Now On-Line"...

Uh, pay-walls ?
Changes in 'Fashion', such that older books could prove 'uncomfortable' reading ? Hey, The Past was a different country...

Worse, unless you have 'local storage', your cloud-based repositories are vulnerable to mischief, mishap and mayhem...
Natural disaster, war rolling through etc etc,
Jihadists who preach that if library agrees with their Book, don't need it, else heresy to be erased...
What if future TooBig.Gov decides, per '1984', to re-write 'inconvenient' history ?? Just need a few pass-words...
Perhaps future analogy to Medieval documents accidentally preserved by becoming palimpsests, scraped clean, re-written or used to cover / bind other works...
Like 'interesting' scraps found between WORD's 'End of Document' and 'End of File-block'...
{ Shudder... }

What if future TooBig.Gov decides, per '1984', to re-write 'inconvenient' history ?? Just need a few pass-words...
A few years back HBO remade "Fahrenheit 451." They changed it considerably, basically mashing it with "Brave New World." While I seem to recall that it was kinda dull, the mashup worked. Books were banned, but the internet was ever-present... but under central control. History and literature were re-written on the fly. And when the internet is the sole source of information, "history" becomes whatever you want it to be.

Not too dissimilar from reality, as it turns out. Fortunately they haven't gotten around to doing an effective job of burning all the books.

Reactions: Nik
Your earlier comment about libraries struck a sad chord: Our city library was renowned, but decided that much of its sprawling reference collection could be discarded, as "Everything is Now On-Line"...
Yes this excuse is rolled out far too often by libraries.
They should know better that most books and journal articles pre-2000 are not online and probably never will be (and even if they were there would be a paywall that only a university could afford).
It grinds my gears 150% - though whenever I go in the library most students seem to be head down into a laptop without a book in sight of their desk. They just don't read anymore, it's as if the printed page is an alien concept like reading hieroglyphics.

The result is apparently a decent game, but it looks like incoherent dogshit visually (some pics are fine, but no consistent artistic vision). I'm not going to buy it. Beautiful artwork is part of the expensive boardgame experience.
AI tools can does have artistic concepts within its networks, but existing interface is quite poor at making the model do what you want. As such to generate what you want you need trial and error and experience in voodoo techniques and model retraining and all kinds of stuff.

As such the best user of such tools are those with a combination of artistic and technical skill, which enables much greater productivity.

I'd think after a while the baseline acceptable artwork quality for everything will go up and up and there'd still be some people employed to operate the computer for optimal results until better interface model matures.

Apparently spammers are already making good use of AI, having trouble on a health support site, and on the forum for Trainz Railroad Simulator; for example, with brand new members such as this at Trainz posting comments such as ... (inline text link for importer license has been removed by me in following quote)

sanjana515 said:
I appreciate your feedback and suggestions. I'll be sure to pass them along to the developers. I understand your concerns about the stability of HD Terrain. The developers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. As for the interface changes, I know it can be difficult to adjust to new things. However, the developers believe that the new interface is more intuitive and user-friendly. They are also working on adding more customization options to the interface. I agree with you that the new water system is not ideal. The developers are also aware of this issue and are working on a fix. I'm glad you like the Scrapbook feature. It's a great way to keep track of your work. I understand your frustration with the Marquee selection tool. The developers will look into this issue and see if there is a way to improve it. I'm not sure where the bulk asset replacement tool went. I'll look into this and get back to you. I agree with you that mass add/delete baseboards is a great feature. Overall, I think you've made some valid points and I'll be sure to pass them along to the developers. Thank you for your feedback. An importer license is a government-issued document that allows a company or individual to import goods into a country. The specific requirements for obtaining an importer license vary depending on the country, but they typically include providing proof of identity, business registration, and financial solvency.

And the apparently AI generated spam even quotes comments made on posts, such as here from Neuroclastic,
(url edited by me to be incomplete and not functional)

nosih65060 just commented on The Autistic Time Traveller.
"
Aubrey felt the cool mist of the early fall breeze cross her neck. She’d bundled up before leaving her small apartment, taking the stairs down and out into the late morning of the city. With the wet sidewalk greeting her feet, she stopped for a small coffee at the corner store then she went outside… Continue reading Untitled
"
As I embarked on the journey to authorship, I sought out a ghostwriting team that could bring my narrative to life. The service available here htt ... writingservice ...-services/ offered just that, with a dedicated team of UK-based writers who understood the intricacies of my genre. Their collaborative approach and commitment to capturing my story’s essence resulted in a manuscript that exceeded my expectations.

Leave it to humans to pretty much instantly figure out how to distort and corrupt a new good thing. :mad::confused:

In my experience the general public have no artistic taste. Hence, terrible AI art.

A friend of mind used to make beautiful, tastefully-designed wedding stationery, he set up a website where people could design their own wedding invitations etc. People designed the most horrible invitations, but loved them because they did it. User satisfaction went up inversely to the tastefulness of the design.

Hence concrete lions as garden gatekeepers. Bleurgh.

A lump of concrete to the head can be very persuasive.

In my experience the general public have no artistic taste. Hence, terrible AI art.

A friend of mind used to make beautiful, tastefully-designed wedding stationery, he set up a website where people could design their own wedding invitations etc. People designed the most horrible invitations, but loved them because they did it. User satisfaction went up inversely to the tastefulness of the design.
The Ikea Effect

The Ikea Effect
From that:

"The IKEA effect has also been observed in animals, such as rats and starlings, which prefer to obtain food from sources that required effort on their part (Kacelnik & Marsh, 2002; Lawrence & Festinger, 1962)."

I suggest an alternative explanation as to why critters - humans are critters too - prefer stuff they had to put some effort into: rather than "sunk cost" or narcissism, it may well be that we all know deep down that the Good Times won't last forever. May come a time when we'll *have* to do for ourselves, and thus putting in some effort now means that when it's do-or-die, we might not die.

Status
Not open for further replies.