Aerojet-General Sea Dragon

Holy moly, just come across Sea Dragon, that's just awesome. I know this isn't a post that moves anything along but what a monster.

I am surprised Russia didn't look at this--space Rubles go to Russian shipyards--not Kazakhs

I've heard of things as simple as Magpul magazines being ITAR restricted- when anybody can walk into a gun shop anywhere in the US and buy them right off the shelf no questions asked.
ITAR: International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

And magazines are an integral part of any firearm that uses them. As in, the guns DO NOT WORK WITHOUT THEM.

EVERYTHING firearms falls under ITAR.

Interesting point, big dumb boosters fit with their ethos.
I suspect it's insufficiently mathematically elegant.

injecting a bit of humor here, this is what happens when you hire a bunch of ex-Nazi scientists to run your missile program...

1016239.jpg

:rolleyes:

Bonus points: Identify all the rockets in the background...

injecting a bit of humor here, this is what happens when you hire a bunch of ex-Nazi scientists to run your missile program...

1016239.jpg

:rolleyes:

Bonus points: Identify all the rockets in the background...
He only ran the Army's program until 1960 and NASA's from 1960 to 1970. He had nothing to do with the Air Force or Navy's. And two of the rockets in the background, he had nothing to do with*.

Juno II, Mercury-Redstone, Mercury-Atlas*, Gemini-Titan*, Saturn I Block I, Saturn I Block II, Saturn IB, Saturn V

The Atlas had balloon tank (and it's Centaurs) that Von Braun didn't care for. That and Titans I consider USAF, the rest Army :)

Atlas V structurally is closer to Titan.

Truax was a Navy man, so the idea of using maranging steel and shipyards is understandable.

Last edited:
Without mentioning the financial risk of such a project, the concept is so audacious that it calls into question any technical certainty in the face of engineers' delirium where genius meets madness, as was the case long before with the Oion project which encountered skepticism from managers or also the Aldebaran concept, set in the 60s, like Sea Dragon.

The Atlas had balloon tank (and it's Centaurs) that Von Braun didn't care for. That and Titans I consider USAF, the rest Army :)
The USAF also had Titan II, Thor, Minuteman, Navaho, etc
Truax was a Navy man, so the idea of using maranging steel and shipyards is understandable.
Hardly. He wasn't a true navy ma. He only had two years of sea duty. For most of his career, he dealt with rockets.

I am surprised Russia didn't look at this--space Rubles go to Russian shipyards--not Kazakhs

Same problem as the US, never going to be enough payload to orbit to need that kind of capacity. And as Truax kept saying the design really does not scale down well.

The USAF also had Titan II, Thor, Minuteman, Navaho, etc

Yes but the line up is NASA launch vehicles so only the Titan II gets to play :)
Most of them are manned vehicles but IIRC there should be a "Thor" further to the left next to that "Juno/Jupiter" LV.

Hardly. He wasn't a true navy ma. He only had two years of sea duty. For most of his career, he dealt with rockets.

Uhm yes, as part of his job in the Navy, to help develop missiles and methods among other things.

Randy

Submarine construction yards would be perfect.

Sea Dragon is actually a simpler build. Heavy, but simple.

We know from hydroelectric generation that you can handle a lot of liquids quickly

Yes but the line up is NASA launch vehicles so only the Titan II gets to play :)
Most of them are manned vehicles but IIRC there should be a "Thor" further to the left next to that "Juno/Jupiter" LV.
Atlas and Titan II were USAF vehicles. USAF managed and operated.
And he had nothing to do with Thor

Atlas V structurally is closer to Titan.

Because you threw in Atlas V and Truax, I did not realize you were talking about the photo post. Quote post you are referring to and don't assume people understand your line of thinking.

The biggest not gonna work on the Sea Dragon is the use of pressurized fuel and oxidizer tanks to push the fuel into the engine. That wasn't going to work. The historical problems with such a system is why everybody went to turbopumps to pull the fuel and oxidizer at a constant rate from their tanks and push it at a constant rate into the engine.

I'm also skeptical that such a large engine as the first stage could have been built given available materials in terms of heat and pressure that would be exerted on it. If it was going to melt the concrete and steel launch tower in what amounts to seconds of exposure from a land launch, then there's a good chance it's going to melt the nozzle and engine too.

I'd think in a sea launch that heat would be problematic too. The seawater around the engine exhaust turns to superheated steam. That could be an issue here, a serious one.

Wouldn't it have been easier to build a launch pad with a huge pond and launch the missile from that than have to tow it out to sea, deal with wave motion, salt water, water pressure against the missile's body ( 3 to 4 times atmospheric at the bottom end), and a plethora of other issues just to get the thing into launch position?

Wouldn't it have been easier to build a launch pad with a huge pond and launch the missile from that than
Not really given the thing's size and mass.

Some points of interest,

To make the rocket manufacture as cheap as possible, Truax planned to build its body not from aluminum but from 8 mm steel sheets, which ultimately made the production no more difficult than building a submarine. Thanks to this, the carrier could be assembled at shipyards and then towed to the launch site directly on the water. The shipbuilding company Todd Shipyards was ready to take on the construction.

When this thing was proposed in early 1960s our much loved Cape Canaveral launch complex had not yet been built.
And there is that thing about sound waves ...

The water would suppress the sound of the engine as well as take away the need of a new launch complex and support structures. Such a large rocket would not be able to launch from Cape Canaveral, as Launch Complex 39 at the Kennedy Space Center would later be built to support Saturn V launches.

There was some interest at NASA and Todd Shipyards but the project never made it past the conceptual stage. Todd Shipyards concluded that construction on such a vehicle was within their capabilities and their 8 millimeter thick maraging steel, a type of steel that possesses superior strength and toughness. NASA sent the designs to TRW, an aerospace corporation, for review and it fully confirmed Aerojet's expected costs and engineering for Sea Dragon. Aerojet was considering purchasing Sudden Ranch, a stretch of coastline between Santa Barbara and Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, as a launch site for their rocket. This was the only site on the continental United States that could launch directly into polar orbit without flying over populated areas.

Atlas and Titan II were USAF vehicles. USAF managed and operated.
And he had nothing to do with Thor

Agreed but the picture is of NASA launch vehicles not the ones VB personally worked on :)

randy

When this thing was proposed in early 1960s our much loved Cape Canaveral launch complex had not yet been built.
And there is that thing about sound waves ...
Cape Canaveral first launch was in 1950. By 1960, as shown in the attached diagram, was already up to pad 34.

Attachments

• Cape Map 1960-07.jpg
    Cape Map 1960-07.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0