HIDEN rings a bell. Rolls Royce did the engine work on Harrier 21 and I've seen at least one of the 2 variants included in their product history lists. RB-578 was the version using the Pegasus core for our hoped-for prototype that never happened, and RB-571 was the same layout but with the more powerful Eurofighter engine core. I can't say much about the aircraft itself because of that whole ITAR thing but since 2/3 of the work was done by Brits, you might touch base with RR or BAE and see if they've retained anything in their files that they could share. If you're able to track down RB-578 or -571 you'll see a family resemblance with what MDC's ASTOVL Model 4629 had, with some significant differences of course. NASA Contractor Report 195358 "STOVL Control Integration Program" has no restrictive distribution markings and so if you find RB-578/571 material elsewhere you'll be able to see pretty clearly what MDC/BAe/RR thinking was in the early 1990s. Here's one illustration of Model 4629 from the NASA report:

View attachment 736144
Hrm. You lose a lot of thrust turning the cold nozzles 180deg like that, but it does get the engine moved aft and off the CG.

Hrm. You lose a lot of thrust turning the cold nozzles 180deg like that, but it does get the engine moved aft and off the CG.
Yep, V/STOL is all about weighing up the pros and cons of each solution. Would moving the engine and centre of gravity aft reduce the amount of thrust required from the front nozzles?

Yep, V/STOL is all about weighing up the pros and cons of each solution. Would moving the engine and centre of gravity aft reduce the amount of thrust required from the front nozzles?
Not really, but it would give you more space on or around the CG for other things. Like a weapons bay.

More Harrier 21 speculating - like or laugh :)
Right in some places, not so right in others. Somebody really needs to talk to RR and BAe. I suppose the people who actually did the work are long gone (or worse) but the fact that RR still shows RB.578 and RB.571 in their historic lists might indicate that they have other things in their archives. Peter Calder, Peter Moore, Suresh Gupta, Ben Ward, Adam Strachan-Stephens, and Barry New were the RR people on Harrier 21 whose cards I got at the time. Wish I'd gotten some from the BAe folks but our designers coordinated with them separately and I don't recall ever meeting with any of them myself.

AVPRO speculation or
Very close! The design groups at MDC and BAe worked independently on an airframe to contain the RB.578/571 engine, meeting a set of fixed requirements for speed, range, duration etc. The British design featured a favorite of theirs, a single vertical tail with fold-over section to fit below decks in the L-ships and Harrier Carriers, while the American design went with the familiar twin tail that's been on just about everything in the past 50+ years. One had round inlets, the other had rectangular ones, and so on with the details. Our designers and theirs merged the best features of each one and I honestly don't remember which choices went into the final configuration. I don't know exactly what that artwork represents but it's similar to what was in the mix at the time.

stever_sl, can you let us know if the Harrier 21 proposals had the standard tandem + outriggers or a new tricycle undercarriage?

No worries if not, it’s just great to know there is another Harrier development out there to be revealed :)
If I tell you that, it starts to reveal things about the locations of certain "things" and I fear the wrath of ITAR if I go any further! :)