USAF/US NAVY 6G Fighter Programs - F/A-XX, F-X, NGAD, PCA, ASFS news

@Kat Tsun said AI bomber:

Is dropping a pair of 1000 lbs JDAMs not something a bomber does? AI bombers would be doing the things that JSF could be doing if it weren't busy cosplaying as an ATF and carrying AMRAAMs.

The B-21 also still has the optional manning" as a requirement in the contract. It's just not mature enough for prime time yet.

Last edited:
Is dropping a pair of 1000 lbs JDAMs not something a bomber does? AI bombers would be doing the things that JSF could be doing if it weren't busy cosplaying as an ATF and carrying AMRAAMs. That seems to be where the USAF is headed since it never got as many F-22s as it "needed". Now that it is facing a force of at least 250 J-XX and probably closer to 300-400 by the end of the decade. Add in however many J-31s the PLAN is able to buy and build. It's a pretty sizeable force of what seems to be competently built LO aircraft.

JSF will too busy being tasked with DCA to do much bombing.
No, dropping 1000lb JDAMs is something even an F22 can do.

It's dropping the big stuff that defines bombers anymore. 5000lbs and bigger.

I was thinking about that myself dark sidius, certainly be fast enough to keep up with the main fighter force.
We could be surprise when the NGAD will take the light, imagine this kind like the picture , abble to do A/A, air dominance , control node ? refuel F-35 like attack fighter, a fleet mix of all this capacity could be the real air dominance....

A true multirole aircraft in other words dark sidius, able to switch mission types quickly as to when needed.

We could be surprise when the NGAD will take the light, imagine this kind like the picture , abble to do A/A, air dominance , control node ? refuel F-35 like attack fighter, a fleet mix of all this capacity could be the real air dominance....
I admit, I am expecting in the neighborhood of 40klbs of fuel on the beast.

any plane costing in to the "hundreds of millions" should be capable of transitioning in and out space at least for short periods.

it should be near impervious via an all-axis DEW defensive suite.

it should have a sufficient payload bay for a significant amount of H-K UAS/munitions. Such UAS/munitions should possess multiple shot capability and even be recoverable on the non/permissive battlespace/ground if not all shots are taken.

any plane costing in to the "hundreds of millions" should be capable of transitioning in and out space at least for short periods.

it should have a sufficient payload bay for a significant amount of H-K UAS/munitions. Such UAS/munitions should possess multiple shot capability and even be recoverable on the non/permissive battlespace/ground if not all shots are taken.
I take it you want a unicorn for your birthday, and not a pony.

Any one of those capabilities costs about $200mil.

edit: per aircraft. Not counting development costs.

Last edited:
Didn't someone claim there will be "plasma stealth" for their re-entry vehicle? :cool:
Even radar stealth can be solved, the heat signature is something you can't hide

This greatly troubles me.
H-K requires advance divert/guidance/propulsion schemes not permissible on anything expendable. Factor in recoverability (said UAS should be able to survive a direct hit with a supersonic missile and survive reentry, or store a parachute system). And why even multishot? The propellant required for re-engaging other threats, potentially hypersonic and separated by miles, on an already volumetrically limited system would be astounding. Maybe a limited NERVA-esqe system would be needed. So your notional UAS here would be exorbitantly expensive, and multiply that by whatever "significant" means here.

I mean, no one put taxes on dreams but reality is reality.

ok 'near space';) whatever drastic enhances range
Resurrect Dyna-Soar but as a HOTOL system!

This greatly troubles me.
H-K requires advance divert/guidance/propulsion schemes not permissible on anything expendable.
disagree
Factor in recoverability (said UAS should be able to survive a direct hit with a supersonic missile and survive reentry, or store a parachute system).
Mother protected via all axis RF guided DEW primarily for missiles @ very close range.
And why even multishot? The propellant required for re-engaging other threats, potentially hypersonic and separated by miles, on an already volumetrically limited system would be astounding.
Daughters multi-shot capability would be an Auto Grenade Launcher able to engage all tgts from other threat msles to Hardened Aircraft shelter doors to tank plinking w/ the same HV mini-missiles w/new energetics HEDP warheads... again all @ very close range.
Maybe a limited NERVA-esqe system would be needed. So your notional UAS here would be exorbitantly expensive, and multiply that by whatever "significant" means here.
SEAD would be accomplished via other means. UAS/munition would only act as back up SEAD.

CCAs provide SEAD, air superiority etc. as well as carrying daughters themselves.

CCA emphasis seems to be primarily on lower cost attritables, well what if the low cost attritable CCA carried even lower cost attritiable daughters. Even the more expensive boutique CCAs need their own low cost standoff which can be recovered but not necessarily.

Mother protected via all axis RF guided DEW primarily for missiles @ very close range.
We've had laser dazzlers for missile defenses for a while now, either blind the IR seeker or feed false data to the prox fuze.

I'm still not convinced that you can make a laser with enough power to shoot down an AAM that will fit in a plane.

Daughters multi-shot capability would be an Auto Grenade Launcher able to engage all tgts from other threat msles to Hardened Aircraft shelter doors to tank plinking w/ the same HV mini-missiles w/new energetics HEDP warheads... again all @ very close range.
No grenade launcher is going to have enough power to deal with a HAS. Not even going through the doors.

We've had laser dazzlers for missile defenses for a while now, either blind the IR seeker or feed false data to the prox fuze.

I'm still not convinced that you can make a laser with enough power to shoot down an AAM that will fit in a plane.

No grenade launcher is going to have enough power to deal with a HAS. Not even going through the doors.
The agl fires a HV mini missiles in limited numbers and the missiles r guided to same impact point affording time for best in serial shaped charge effects.

The down-select will happen this summer, per current plan.
My money's on Lockheed Martin, given their track record with the F-22 and F-35, not to mention all the whistleblowing (And deaths of said whistleblowers) going on at Boeing

Why is the human the weak point?

These trials are very tightly controlled and scripted, as yet no computer has come close to sustaining even “sense and avoid” GA flying due to the complexity and unpreditctability of the air environment. The “is it an enemy, what course of action to do?” is something so difficult we cant even specify a trial - all AI stuff starts with (human decided) assumptions that drastically simplify the situation for the computer to then process.

Endurance for these aircraft is engine oil limited, not the pilot. The offload of “routine flying” to computers with the human as a mission controller makes that even more pronounced as the human can take “time out” in a way they cant at the moment.

My money's on Lockheed Martin, given their track record with the F-22 and F-35, not to mention all the whistleblowing (And deaths of said whistleblowers) going on at Boeing
LockMart is up to their eyeballs in F35 production, NG is equally busy building B21s (though I think they dropped out of the USAF comp), and Boeing Military is more or less on idle with 90something F15EXs to make.

So BMAC has a huge political/industrial base advantage going in to this contest.

You mean this ~6-8ft long rocket?

How many of those do you think your deployable weapon will carry?

Attachments

• 20190524_Spike_rocket_AH-1_Cobra.jpg
    20190524_Spike_rocket_AH-1_Cobra.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 44
LockMart is up to their eyeballs in F35 production, NG is equally busy building B21s (though I think they dropped out of the USAF comp), and Boeing Military is more or less on idle with 90something F15EXs to make.

So BMAC has a huge political/industrial base advantage going in to this contest.

There is rumor about Boeing is the design that USAF prefer over Lockheed but , we don't know nothing about NGAD difficult to make an idea about it..

Clearly what the MICOM person is holding is the size of human arm. Propulsion is not for a range AT missile. As mentioned numerous times over the years, on this forum, there is a revolution is energetics underway therefore the size can be reduced significantly.
1716380322125.png

Last edited:

I still think NG pulling out is a bad sign, like deliberate non-compliance on the A-12 was. A sign that the performance and cost requirements don't match up. Of course they may have also seen that what they had wasn't going to win, so they might as well cut their losses.

I really can't see Lockheed getting it given their F-35 production issues. Of course I could say the same for Boeing, which is another reason why I think NG dropping out is a bad thing.

I wonder if MQ-28 is giving Boeing a head start?

Maybe NG dropped out to focus on the Navy plane? Or they are trying to resurrect FB-23?

Show of hands if you have any confidence in Boeing actually being able to execute on a "more ambitious 'fresher' approach"?

Show of hands if you have any confidence in Boeing actually being able to execute on a "more ambitious 'fresher' approach"?
Boeing Military has been doing interesting things with the F15s and Super Hornets, so I think they can execute.

Clearly what the MICOM person is holding is the size of human arm. Propulsion is not for a range AT missile. As mentioned numerous times over the years, on this forum, there is a revolution is energetics underway therefore the size can be reduced significantly.
View attachment 729692
Okay, so your super-rocket is still 2-3ft long (using whatever propellant mix is in the Cuda/HalfRAAM.)

How many of those is your not-more-than-14ft-long recoverable loitering munition going to carry?

I still think NG pulling out is a bad sign, like deliberate non-compliance on the A-12 was. A sign that the performance and cost requirements don't match up. Of course they may have also seen that what they had wasn't going to win, so they might as well cut their losses.
No, I think it is a case of too many people working on B21 and not enough available for NGAD. So they're going to get B21 flying and then concentrate the engineers on FAXX.