USAF/US NAVY 6G Fighter Programs - F/A-XX, F-X, NGAD, PCA, ASFS news

It's literally pointed out on SMG chart.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2020-10-21-at-5-35-04-pm-1603316220.png
    screen-shot-2020-10-21-at-5-35-04-pm-1603316220.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
Thinking about this, any discussion of weapons is a bit speculative of course, but will NGAD still carry a cannon?

but will NGAD still carry a cannon?

By the time NGAD enters service it may well be a laser.

Seems more likely than a canon anyway. It's not like NGAD will be handling air policing or ground attack, or at least ground attack below 30,000 feet, so I don't see anyway it has any kind of gun.

I'm now convinced that the satellite image of the craft we saw on the tarmac at groom a few months ago was a NGAD prototype.

I'm now convinced that the satellite image of the craft we saw on the tarmac at groom a few months ago was a NGAD prototype.
I really doubt the image was of a NGAD prototype. I suspect, if in fact the vehicle is related to the NGAD program, it is a subscale demonstrator much like in the JSAT program.

Weight:
maximum takeoff 42638 kg / 94000 lb (100%)
normal takeoff 33566 kg / 74000 lb (79%)
empty 22679 kg / 50000 lb (53%)
fuel normal 8618 kg / 19000 lb (20%)
fuel maximum 12700 kg / 28000 lb (30%)
internal tanks in weapon bays 2 x 2268 kg = 4536 kg / 10000 lb
normal load 1861 kg / 4100 lb (4.4%)
maximum load 10933 kg / 24100 lb (26%)
service 200 kg / 440 lb
gun ammunition 100 kg / 220 lb

flight range 3500 km
flight range with tanks in weapon bays 4500 km
supersonic flight range 2500 km
air-to-air range 1220 km
air-to-ground range 1700 km

Seems more likely than a canon anyway. It's not like NGAD will be handling air policing or ground attack, or at least ground attack below 30,000 feet, so I don't see anyway it has any kind of gun.
it won't?

In this thread are already quite a few assumptions that probably shall be left to USAF. In some cases, those assumptions even go against what USAF said just because the author thinks it makes more sense.
Please don't consider this message a personal attack.

it won't?

In this thread are already quite a few assumptions that probably shall be left to USAF. In some cases, those assumptions even go against what USAF said just because the author thinks it makes more sense.

I'd bet a lot of money on it not having gun; I'll leave it at that.

it won't?

I'd agree with you on that, even if that position will trigger the Fighter Mafia to no end.

Sure, we did say that back in the 60s, and were proven wrong on that due to ineffective missiles, and times when fighters came close and merged with each other on the battlefield. But eversince then, missiles have greatly improved, and guns have been rendered mostly useless in aerial combat except for emergency situations. As such, guns will be but deadweight on future fighters that are designed to be missile trucks that fire like snipers at enemy targets.

it won't?

On having no gun - most likely, but I won't still bet out of principle: it's a guessing sport for both of us, not an informed decision.
On not performing air policing - I will bet it will do just that. And a bear selfie, because no US fighter is a fighter without that.

But those are our bets.

guns have been rendered mostly useless in aerial combat except for emergency situations.
Guns tend to produce better rounds/weight combo after a certain level.
And gun rounds can be guided just as missiles can.

In the end, both are projectiles, simply with different means of initial propulsion. Shells are more space efficient, at the cost of need to actually have a gun, and worse conditions for electronics.

Last edited:

it won't?

On having no gun - most likely, but I won't still bet out of principle: it's a guessing sport for both of us, not an informed decision.
On not performing air policing - I will bet it will do just that. And a bear selfie, because no US fighter is a fighter without that.

But those are our bets.

guns have been rendered mostly useless in aerial combat except for emergency situations.
Guns tend to produce better rounds/weight combo after a certain level.
And gun rounds can be guided just as missiles can.

In the end, both are projectiles, simply with different means of initial propulsion. Shells are more space efficient, at the cost of need to actually have a gun, and worse conditions for electronics.
The problem with current guns is that they cannot reach far, even guided, whether GPS or through a rocket. There can only be enough room inside a shell, however big, for all those things that can extend its range.

Even if we develop coilgun or railgun technology, the distance of engagement between fighters over generations will just increase as newer and more advanced missiles, including their fuel, propulsion and engine systems, as well as increasingly more powerful sensor and radar technologies, are developed, to the point that any coilgun or railgun-based projectiles will never be able to reach the enemy on time.

Even if somehow, coilgun and railgun technology do enable guns to find their targets when fired, it will just encourage a whole new arms race to make ones that fire the farthest, and eventually, guns will again fall out of favor as newer means of fighting BVR and closing the distance in record speed are made.

Then there's also the issue of Lasers and other Direct-Energy Weapons. They are light-speed, so can instantly reach their targets in microseconds but they also have their own problems too, namely that

1: Being light projectiles, they cannot easily punch through without enough time and concentration, and in a fast-paced engagement wherein the enemy can move just as fast, this can be tricky to do.

2: The laser, even if concentrated to a single point, will have its power scatter due to its plasma breaking down, and thus weaken in power over long distances, in a process called Thermal Blooming.

And 3: any obstacle in the sky is dense enough to obstruct most, if not all of the energy emitted by the DEW, which also worsens its prior Thermal Blooming process.

Until these issues are solved, and newer, even better DEW systems are in place, the best that DEWs can do is as a CIWS for incoming missiles, or some unlucky enemy fighter jet.

Last edited:
Lesson on how Ramping up lethality with Missiles: blow the damn thing up or let it go

With the gun, you just have to depress the gun trigger more or less longer and aim rigorously or not to scale the appropriate level of destruction needed.

Guns are there to stay. It's the right tool and only true messages sender.

Lesson on how Ramping up lethality with Missiles: blow the damn thing up or let it go

With the gun, you just have to depress the gun trigger more or less longer and aim rigorously or not to scale the appropriate level of destruction needed.

Guns are there to stay. It's the right tool and only true messages sender.
I would agree with you on that, if only we can somehow extend its range to be able to engage in at least medium ranges, otherwise it will just remain an emergency weapon at best, and deadweight on the aircraft at worst.

Coilgun and Railgun technology is one way to accelerate the projectiles, increasing both range, speed and lethality, but they still have a long way to go (In terms of miniaturization, I'm aware that there are prototypes out there), and even if they do emerge eventually, BVR engagements may become way too far for bullet or cannon fire to make any difference.

Not to mention, the possibility that at farther ranges, the bullets will slowly lose momentum, and be affected by Gravity. Firing them at much farther enemies merely increases the chance that your bullets will lose momentum and fall down before they reach the enemy aircraft's position, even if you fire the gun on a leading trail.

Coilgun and Railgun should theoretically be able to reduce that chance of the bullet losing momentum, as they are propelled at much faster speeds with far greater forces, but even so, they can only go so far, maybe up to 30 to 50 miles, or 100 miles at most. In contrast, upcoming AAM weapons, such as the Long-Range Engagement Weapon and the AIM-260 Joint Advanced Tactical Missile (JATM) are slated to be able to reach targets in excess of 120 miles or more, maybe even 200 miles if they have the possible necessary upgrades.

Last edited:
I think that NGAD will be a limited production, fast, high altitude aircraft that will control other unmanned combat capable systems and it will cost 2-3x more than an F-35. As such, it won’t be used for air policing ever and it won’t operate in a gun fighting envelope where it loses all of its advantages. The USN already accepted no gun on F-35; I don’t see USAF including one in a high altitude, likely high speed, dedicated interceptor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. The F-111 supposedly exceeded the length that could be easily handled on a carrier elevator and consequently the navalised F-111B had a shorter nose.
Wasn't this about pilot view downwards over the nose? Hence if the cockpit is in the same place for structural commonality, then the noseneeds to be shorter?
Both the Vigilante (76.5') and A-3D (76') were longer than the standard F-111 (73')

I think that NGAD will be a limited production, fast, high altitude aircraft that will control other unmanned combat capable systems and it will cost 2-3x more than an F-35.
As theorized by Binkov, there may be as many as 100 NGAD units in service, far fewer than even the F-22s. What will compensate for their small numbers will be their drones, as they are easily produced and are made to be attritionable and even expendable, if the situation calls for it. Assuming there will be 5 drones for every 1 NGAD manned fighter component, there will be as many as 500 drones overall, although if the number of drones per NGAD unit is increased, then expect their overall number to increase as well. Same as should the number of NGAD units themselves be increased.

And assuming that SMG Consulting's 300 Million Dollar unit cost for the NGAD manned fighter component itself is true, then it is definitely a rather expensive piece of equipment overall. But I think the actual cost for the NGAD manned fighter component will be much higher than what was estimated by SMG Consulting. Much higher than that in theory.

image (17).png

As such, it won’t be used for air policing ever and it won’t operate in a gun fighting envelope where it loses all of its advantages.
I personally think that given that Air Dominance is its primary role, it will have to do some policing of sorts, preferably lasting as soon as they obtain dominance of the sky itself, and until other aircraft come in to relive them of that part of their role. Or alternatively, while the NGAD manned fighter component itself doesn't police the sky, its Loyal Wingmen drones will do the job. Instead, the NGAD will remain outside and coordinate the drones from there, while also providing BVR support should things go south for the drones.

And of course, it's possible that should any dogfighting events ever happen, it will possibly be the drones that will tango with the enemy and deal with them appropriately, leaving the NGAD manned fighter component free of any gristly situation to deal with, which would obviously necessitate that in favor of other BVR weaponry, and more advanced sensors, it will not be installed any gun unit.

The USN already accepted no gun on F-35; I don’t see USAF including one in a high altitude, likely high speed, dedicated interceptor.
From the looks of it, that's where they're currently going. And unlike the time of Vietnam, where the USAF and the aerospace corporations were fully confident that missiles are the future, and thus didn't bother to actually update them until it was too late, the USAF and the aerospace corporations now are now ensuring that their weapons technologies live up to the hype, and actually ensure that there's very little to no circumstance that will lead to a dogfighting situation. Whether it's by improving weapon systems, avionics systems, or any sensor and detector systems, they can be made so as to greatly reduce (And preferably remove) the possibility of a merge between fighters, and therefore, leaving the NGAD open to a dogfight that it will sadly lose at.

What I do think, and speculate on as a theory, is that the NGAD won't just be any interceptor, it will be a very capable multi-role aircraft that can perform far more roles than what's being advertised publicly. If the situation calls for it, the NGAD and its Loyal Wingmen drones will be capable of performing all their roles perfectly and without any flaw (If there is any, it can either be on pilot error or faulty intelligence), thus making them not just a "Jack-Of-All-Trades", but possibly a "Master-Of-All-Trades" type of aircraft too. Despite that though, the primary role will always be Air Dominance, it will just have enough bells, whistles, and toys to do anything else if required.

Last edited:
I suspect it will be bought in small enough numbers such that it is reserved for A2A and as such likely won't have many air to ground weapons integrated as a cost saving measure. See F-22. I could see USAF enabling SiAM or some other flavor of ARM for self defense and leaving it at that.

Last edited:
I think that NGAD will be a limited production, fast, high altitude aircraft that will control other unmanned combat capable systems and it will cost 2-3x more than an F-35.
What's the point of it being NGAD then?

Unmanned controller is literally everything with enough crew and direct, high bandwidth datalinks within range. Being behind the unmanned formation is perfectly fine for a controller.

If you go for stealth levels never achieved before in supersonic aircraft, and aim for mixing it with supercruise and maneuverability(at a great cost) - you do it not to seat safely behind the more vulnerable atritable platforms to be even less vulnerable.
Especially since supercruise&maneuverability come directly at expense of qualities actually important for such a 'behind the lines' aircraft - loiter efficiencies and internal volumes.

Yes, it is nice for a member-measuring contest of never being shot down (ground control station is even harder to shot down, btw - nowhere to fall anyways). No, it is absolutely not worth it as an investment - as it literally brings no benefit to the other (unmanned) part of investment, nor does it measurably help the existing fleet - to the point of being less useful than existing F-22s.

What's the point of it being NGAD then?

Unmanned controller is literally everything with enough crew and direct, high bandwidth datalinks within range. Being behind the unmanned formation is perfectly fine for a controller.

If you go for stealth levels never achieved before in supersonic aircraft, and aim for mixing it with supercruise and maneuverability(at a great cost) - you do it not to seat safely behind the more vulnerable atritable platforms to be even less vulnerable.
Especially since supercruise&maneuverability come directly at expense of qualities actually important for such a 'behind the lines' aircraft - loiter efficiencies and internal volumes.

Yes, it is nice for a member-measuring contest of never being shot down (ground control station is even harder to shot down, btw - nowhere to fall anyways). No, it is absolutely not worth it as an investment - as it literally brings no benefit to the other (unmanned) part of investment, nor does it measurably help the existing fleet - to the point of being less useful than existing F-22s.

My impression is that NGAD will incorporate broad band stealth, wide aperture radar/ESM, and very high endurance to allow it to operate inside the defensive bubble of PRC forces in the WestPac. Those characteristics will set it apart from an F-15EX with a backseat operator controlling UAVs. I suspect high speed cruise will also be a requirement, which is currently only the realm of the F-22. That is my expectation of the requirements of the manned platform, not a critique of what NGAD requirements should be.

Honestly with the advancement of Lasers, as weapons...

Well I expected that one of NGADs be likely fitted for a laser weapon pulled from the tactical laser pods.

All the range and accuracy of a missile.

"Magazine" Depth of a gun.

And damn near impossible to detected.

Last one be very handy for a stealth fighter.

Well I expected that one of NGADs be likely fitted for a laser weapon pulled from the tactical laser pods.

We just need the further miniaturization of the entire DEW unit to fit inside the NGAD while saving some space, strengthening of the laser's plasma structure to reduce, lessen or outright remove thermal blooming, and a very capable powerplant that can provide more than enough juice to fire the entire thing, and only then can such weaponry be used to full effect, as promised.

We just need the further miniaturization of the entire DEW unit to fit inside the NGAD while saving some space, strengthening of the laser's plasma structure to reduce, lessen or outright remove thermal blooming, and a very capable powerplant that can provide more than enough juice to fire the entire thing, and only then can such weaponry be used to full effect, as promised.
Which by large has already been done.

As in the Air Force has taken delivery of the Lance Laser Pod for testing last year.

Considering the NGAD will not be delivered for then next 5 years at best?

At the rate this is going it likely to have a the things needed.

Which by large has already been done.

As in the Air Force has taken delivery of the Lance Laser Pod for testing last year.

Considering the NGAD will not be delivered for then next 5 years at best?

At the rate this is going it likely to have a the things needed.
I have doubts that it actually works as I described. Maybe they did advance laser technology by then, but this could also be a current-gen laser weapon, which is inefficient for the NGAD's future warfare.

Besides, even if it's small and light, as per what the article says, if it's gonna be installed as an exterior pod, that would immensely detrimental to the NGAD's stealth features, even if it was given the same RAM coating to the rest of the aircraft. It's gonna stick out on Radar, hence it has to be fully internal.

Last edited:

In the air-to-air mode, there are 2 short-range missiles and 10 medium-range missiles in the weapon bays
Nice. But not much room for fuel.
Hence the need for a much larger size for the aircraft, which may only be viable for the USAF NGAD. F/A-XX? They need to compartmentalize and make compromises, even with an airframe slightly larger than the F-111.

F/A-XX probably won’t be the same size and have the same range, but on the other hand it arguably won’t need to, launching from a mobile airfield. Its combat radius only needs to increase modestly over current fights to give the carrier more space to hide. F-111 like ranges would still double the F-35 radius, and a USN specific airframe could make aerodynamic choices much more beneficial to range compared to the limitations of the F-35 program. It wouldn’t have to be A-5 sized to reach that goal. The USAF on the other hand looks like it’s thinking of NGAD ranges to enable sorties from the 2nd chain and Australia, so significantly longer than F-111.

The Russians will have a larger plane

Of course they will...
A larger but less functional plane that's gonna spend 99% of its life on the tarmac, that is.

But I do agree on the size thing, the Tu-128 remains uncontested as the largest fighter/interceptor aircraft in history. If any aircraft was to exceed it in size, it's likely the NGAD, but it would be more likely that the planes that exceed it will be far future space-capable planes that need a lot of space for longtime space travel or whatnot.

F/A-XX probably won’t be the same size and have the same range, but on the other hand it arguably won’t need to, launching from a mobile airfield. Its combat radius only needs to increase modestly over current fights to give the carrier more space to hide. F-111 like ranges would still double the F-35 radius, and a USN specific airframe could make aerodynamic choices much more beneficial to range compared to the limitations of the F-35 program. It wouldn’t have to be A-5 sized to reach that goal. The USAF on the other hand looks like it’s thinking of NGAD ranges to enable sorties from the 2nd chain and Australia, so significantly longer than F-111.
Not to mention, aircraft carrier sizes have automatically constrained and stunted the F/A-XX's inherent size at this point, so there's a limit to how large and capable F/A-XX can be. And while Aircraft Carriers are indeed mobile, they are still vulnerable to any potential attack (Hence the need for a task force escort to follow wherever the carrier goes). Regardless, F/A-XX will have to compensate for the small size of the carrier itself, particularly the elevators, and as a result, will be far less capable than the USAF NGAD as a whole. If any, advancements in engine development, material science and the introduction of loyal wingmen drones will be the saving grace that will make the F/A-XX much more capable in all ways than current F-35 and F/A-18E/F units currently in use

As for the USAF NGAD, I talked about this a few days or a week ago, but the NGAD should ideally have 2000 miles or more in range, enough to accompany B-21s in deep penetration strikes around enemy targets, and even assisting in any SEAD roles, should a need for one occur. That way, the bombers will be fully escorted and fully protected throughout the entire mission, and not have to make compromises due to lack of air protection. Alternatively, but unlikely, It might also be ideal that should the NGAD manned fighter component (Penetrating Counter-Air or PCA) be at least bomber-sized, it will also have enough fuel capacity and engine fuel efficiency to potentially cross half the American Continent, the entire Pacific Ocean and half the Asian Continent Landmass before returning to refuel, as one of the goals for the NGAD is to give them enough range to station them farther from the battlefield, thus reducing the chances that they will be found and struck by enemy forces sooner.

Last edited:
The Russians will have a larger plane

Of course they will...
A larger but less functional plane that's gonna spend 99% of its life on the tarmac, that is.

But I do agree on the size thing, the Tu-128 remains uncontested as the largest fighter/interceptor aircraft in history. If any aircraft was to exceed it in size, it's likely the NGAD, but it would be more likely that the planes that exceed it will be far future space-capable planes that need a lot of space for longtime space travel or whatnot.
Do you have any concrete knowledge of or insights regarding any official NGAD, let alone any potential post NGAD "space-capable planes" requirements, because your statement above suspiciously looks a lot like speculation/wishful thinking to me? I am also really confused about what you mean when you state that far future space-capable planes will need a lot of space for longtime space travel or whatnot, because as an aerospace engineer I always thought that the very point of any ideal future efficient space travel, whether by space-capable planes (L. Ron Hubbard's DC-8 lookalike fictional Xenu spacecraft of Scientology fame comes readily to mind) or any other means, *was* to traverse a lot of space, and based on my fundamental understanding of cosmology, outer space is not a limited or exhaustible resource in any practical sense. Also, a quick online search for "La-Fuente Technologies" led me to https://www.lafuentemojacar.com/es/libro/technologies-i-project-ingenia_1134005057 - as an essentially German/English speaker I am curious whether this is your website, and if so, what it is all about?

Last edited: