Indeed that should be the case, though the description likely be for the larger 7 or10.000element one as to my knowledge the small version was the 4 dome one and the description tells of a 5 dome one.
I'm wondering if the description is correct. Assuming the receiving Luneberg lenses are the lower external spheres, the two shown look to be more like 120 degrees apart than 90, implying three receive lenses, not four. It's five with the one in the basement, but four if you're counting only the transmit and receive lenses. In all the various mentions I've seen of Typhon, I'd never realised there was an extra lens buried below.

I'm wondering if the description is correct. Assuming the receiving Luneberg lenses are the lower external spheres, the two shown look to be more like 120 degrees apart than 90, implying three receive lenses, not four. It's five with the one in the basement, but four if you're counting only the transmit and receive lenses. In all the various mentions I've seen of Typhon, I'd never realised there was an extra lens buried below.
I just think the description is incorrect about the number of domes, it looks like there are three receivers, plus the transmitter, although there is also a dish facing aft, and I'm not sure what purpose that has.

Yes, it should be the the 3 receiving one though on other photos the angle of shoot only shows one radome. The small radar dish is present on the ship at that time, probably an auxiliary transmitter or receiver?
norton_sd_64avm27-h06.jpg

SPG-59_radar_aboard_USS_Norton_Sound_%28AVM-1%29%2C_in_1963.jpg

EJFpNr0UYAAKM9H

But this schematic drawing indeed shows what looks like a 5 dome unit with 90° apart.
EJFpERwVUAIMbJC

Or maybe Norton Sound never fitted with a full 1+3 unit? Just a twin setup of a single receiver and transmitter dome?

But this schematic drawing indeed shows what looks like a 5 dome unit with 90° apart.
EJFpERwVUAIMbJC
I had actually always assumed the receiving “domes” in the middle were spaced 120 degrees apart, and that the whole set up was one primary dome and three receivers. From the perspective of the illustration, they don’t look like they’re set up at right angles from each other. At least not to my eye.

I had actually always assumed the receiving “domes” in the middle were spaced 120 degrees apart, and that the whole set up was one primary dome and three receivers. From the perspective of the illustration, they don’t look like they’re set up at right angles from each other. At least not to my eye.
If they were 90 degrees apart, then we'd see the two to the sides in front of* the curve of the band at the base of the upper dome, not behind it as here, so it's definitely showing three at 120 degrees, not four at 90.

* Actually wrapped around it, half in front of the 90 degree line, half behind.