The Secret Horsepower Race by Calum Douglas (and piston engine discussion)

In Dan Sharp and Calum Douglas' great Me 309 book, a Major Petersen mentions that the Jumo 213 was smaller than the DB 603 when both engines weighed virtually the same. Further is said that the 213 requires a smaller radiator than the 603.

Looking at the Fw 190D and Ta 152, the early Doras' radiator wasn't sufficient so the DB 603-powered D-14/15 obtained
the Kühlerkopf of the Ta 152C.
Apart from the oil cooler the drum rads of the Ta 152 subtypes C and H look the same. The absence of an oil cooler means more of the radiator matrix could be used for cooling of Jumo 213E/F which is said to need less cooling than the DB 603 anyway?

My conclusion is that the Jumo 213 simply got more cooling although it needed less than its counterpart.
Combined with the higher exhaust thrust it provided greater propulsion.

Anyone enlighten me on this one?

Having just one exhaust valve reduces the heat flow in the exhaust port conciderable. During the 90th, Mercedes used three valve heads for their V engines (cars) and truck engines, mainly because the 3V configuration enabled higher exhaust temperatures and faster light off for the cat. In case of the Jumo, this also totally explaines the higher exhaust trust

Note, that most of the heat flow into the cooling system ist not comming from the cylinders but from the exhaust ports and the valve seats.

Last edited:
Having just one exhaust valve reduces the heat flow in the exhaust port conciderable. During the 90th, Mercedes used three valve heads for their V engines (cars) and truck engines, mainly because the 3V configuration enabled higher exhaust temperatures and faster light off for the cat. In case of the Jumo, this also totally explaines the higher exhaust trust

Note, that most of the heat flow into the cooling system ist not comming from the cylinders but from the exhaust ports and the valve seats.
Any source for that claim?

Back
Top Bottom