The AMRAAM Deliveries

tahsin

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
This is certainly not a corporate blaming thread but just one of curiosity. I have just read on the Wikipedia that due some failure in cold weather tests, no missiles are being delivered since 2010. Is that correct? Does it involve any other missiles and if they were to fail why didn't they do so since 1990s?

Yes, AMRAAM deliveries have been on hold. The missiles are done and waiting on the dock, per se.

When they find out what the problem is, the changes can be made and the backlog of missiles delivered.

I guess here's the answer concerning AMRAAM deliveries. Interesting to read that as per ATK, US environmental laws lead to a change in the formula for the missile's propellant, resulting in less than satisfactory results. At least Norway's Nammo has been able to pick up the ball.

Raytheon resolves AMRAAM production issues
by Dave Majumdar
Flight International
29 November 2012

Raytheon expects to recover the production schedule of its AIM-120D AMRAAM air-to-air missile in mid-2013, says chief executive William Swanson.

The company has certified Norwegian ammunition supplier Nammo to build rocket motors as a substitute after the engine's original vendor suddenly developed problems with the chemistry of the rocket propellant.

** See full story linked at title. **

Boxman said:
I guess here's the answer concerning AMRAAM deliveries. Interesting to read that as per ATK, US environmental laws lead to a change in the formula for the missile's propellant, resulting in less than satisfactory results. At least Norway's Nammo has been able to pick up the ball.

by Dave Majumdar
Flight International
29 November 2012

Raytheon expects to recover the production schedule of its AIM-120D AMRAAM air-to-air missile in mid-2013, says chief executive William Swanson.

The company has certified Norwegian ammunition supplier Nammo to build rocket motors as a substitute after the engine's original vendor suddenly developed problems with the chemistry of the rocket propellant.

Stories like these about changing environmental regulations impacting a key defense industry and then obviously the end user the warfighter drive me bat sh&t crazy. The solid rocket industrial base has been decimated in recent years. I just posted a piece about future ICBM, SLBM Navy/Air Force collaboration and one of the big concerns was the ability of the industrial base after so many key suppliers are down to a single company.

bobbymike said:
Stories like these about changing environmental regulations impacting a key defense industry and then obviously the end user the warfighter drive me bat sh&t crazy. The solid rocket industrial base has been decimated in recent years. I just posted a piece about future ICBM, SLBM Navy/Air Force collaboration and one of the big concerns was the ability of the industrial base after so many key suppliers are down to a single company.
I couldn't believe what I was reading either. God_DAMN are we stupid. If I ever have kids, they're going to Mandarin classes so my family can at least be among the better-treated collaborators. :mad:

Holy crap.

As if warfighting could ever be made "environmentally friendly".

Bugger. Me. Dead. So the US can't even make rocket motors for its own air-to-air missiles any more because of "environmental" concerns? Are they absolutely out of their flipping minds?

The people who are responsible for that state of affairs should go to the gallows for treason. That is completely and utterly disgusting.

bobbymike said:
Boxman said:

by Dave Majumdar
Flight International
29 November 2012

Most of ATK's rocket people got laid off.

Why not get a "national security" exception.

If the USAF & Army can sling around DU rounds, why not some "slightly" toxic AMRAAM motors?

SpudmanWP said:
Why not get a "national security" exception.

If the USAF & Army can sling around DU rounds, why not some "slightly" toxic AMRAAM motors?

I suspect the bureaucrats' problem was not the use, but rather manufacture, of the motors

FWIW, not all laws, especially the more recent "environmental" ones, have provision for a national security exception. Also, the gov't agency involved has to invoke the exception and sometimes, seeing the way the wind is blowing, they don't-- leaving the contractor twisting in the wind.

When the environmentalists get to stifle a nation's ability to defend itself - or to manufacture the means of its own defence - something is very, very wrong.

Asimov had it right. But who shall be America's Hari Seldon?