Taildog / SRAAM / ASRAAM family

MR? The ER supposedly goes >20km (80%) further than the standard CAMM. MR is larger than ER, which doesn't semantically make sense I know, but is nevertheless a fact. Increase of MR over ER is 122%.

View attachment 717880
I see that there is a discussion here about CAMM ER, i.e. FCM Future Common Missile. So maybe I'll write something about it. Well, the first information is that you should not get attached to the missile in the graphic. Even on this graphic it says in the lower left corner: "CAMM MR Image is for illustrative purposes only." And I take this information seriously. Well, when it was announced that such a missile would be built, information appeared that its final performance would still be the subject of talks between the Polish and British sides. This should be understood in such a way that only the initial performance was determined, the rest was still to be determined. And since the parameters of the missile were not yet determined at the time of publication of this graphic, it must also be true that the visualization of this missile is for illustrative purposes only.

For people who know the history of the development of Polish air defense programs, the CAMM MR description contains one very characteristic feature. Well, the description shows that CAMM MR is to have a range of 100 km or more. This parameter previously appeared in the Wisła program. What is Wisła? The Wisła/Vistula is the largest river in Poland, which lent its name to the medium-range air defense purchase program. Under it, Poland will acquire 8 Patriot batteries in two tranches. As part of the first tranche, two Patriot batteries were acquired, each battery containing two fire units. These batteries still have the old radar, but they also have the IBCS system. The Polish version of Patriot is slightly different from the generally available versions, because Polish communication solutions have been added to it, and the "command wigwams" have been moved to command containers. As part of the second tranche, another 6 batteries were ordered, this time with a new 360-degree radar made in GaN technology.

From the beginning, the Polish side assumed that Polish Patriot systems would use two types of missiles, a premium missile and a low-cost LCI missile. The PAC-3 MSE plays the role of a premium missile. The Polish requirement for a low-cost Patriot missile was a cost of USD 1 million and a range equal to or exceeding 100 km. There were also other requirements for this missile, related to its seeker or its extensive Polonization. Initially, SkyCeptor was supposed to meet these parameters. However, when it came to the details, it turned out that Americans "understand the word low-cost" differently than Poles and, according to media reports, SkyCeptor was to cost about 70-80% of the cost of PAC-3 MSE. That's why the program failed. At the same time, however, the British were very keen to sell CAMM and CAMM ER missiles to Poland. According to military journalists, at this stage it was proposed that if Poland joins the CAMM missile family, it will be possible to conduct joint R&D on the LCI missile sought by Poland. Therefore, I assume that FCM is in fact the LCI missile originally expected by Poland for the Wisła program.

Oh, it is known that, just as in the case of CAMM ER, the owner of the rights to the rocket engine is the Italian side, in the case of the CAMM MR rocket engine, the owner of the rights will be the Polish side. The Polish side has technological input in the form of ~230mm and ~300mm rocket engines. Therefore, the use and possibly further development of one of these structures seems quite probable. My favorite is the ~300mm caliber also because the PAC-3 MSE missile has a 305mm caliber, and ultimately the Polish side may seek the possibility of adding FCM to the Patriot system.

And one last piece of information. There is an opinion in Poland that the missile that our anti-aircraft forces liked the most at the market analysis stage was the Barak-8 missile, among other things due to its relatively large warhead. I also once read that the British Navy wanted their versions of CAMM missiles to have larger and heavier warheads. Ultimately, nothing came of it and "interoperability" and cost cutting won, but there were such ideas. And since both Poles and the British Navy like heavier warheads than those used in CAMM and CAMM ER missiles, in my opinion it can be assumed that the CAMM MR/FCM missile will have a heavier warhead than its smaller sibling.

Last edited:
Oh, it is known that, just as in the case of CAMM ER, the owner of the rights to the rocket engine is the Italian side, in the case of the CAMM MR rocket engine, the owner of the rights will be the Polish side. The Polish side has technological input in the form of ~230mm and ~300mm rocket engines. Therefore, the use and possibly further development of one of these structures seems quite probable. My favorite is the ~300mm caliber also because the PAC-3 MSE missile has a 305mm caliber, and ultimately the Polish side may seek the possibility of adding FCM to the Patriot system.
I think the PAC-3 MSE is actually 290mm, and 255mm for the CRI. PAAC-4 (aka David Sling) is 305mm at base.

I think the PAC-3 MSE is actually 290mm, and 255mm for the CRI. PAAC-4 (aka David Sling) is 305mm at base.
Yes you are right. I thought I once read that the caliber of the PAC-3 MSE was 12 inches, but now I checked again and it is actually 11.5 inches - 292mm. Interestingly, however, it turns out that the Mk. 41 can accommodate two SM-2 IIIB missiles. SM-2 IIIB are 13.5 inches - 343mm. So it seems that my idea about the possibility of putting two missiles with a caliber of about 300 mm into one container is still valid.

Yes you are right. I thought I once read that the caliber of the PAC-3 MSE was 12 inches, but now I checked again and it is actually 11.5 inches - 292mm. Interestingly, however, it turns out that the Mk. 41 can accommodate two SM-2 IIIB missiles. SM-2 IIIB are 13.5 inches - 343mm. So it seems that my idea about the possibility of putting two missiles with a caliber of about 300 mm into one container is still valid.
I think only Mk57s can dual-pack SM-2s. Mk41s can probably dual-pack ESSMs (not sure whether they actually have though), whereas Mk57s can quad-pack them.

I think only Mk57s can dual-pack SM-2s. Mk41s can probably dual-pack ESSMs (not sure whether they actually have though), whereas Mk57s can quad-pack them.
We distinguish between "can" and "is". Currently, there are "no" such dual-pack containers for the Mk. 41. But they can be. And they will be. If I remember correctly, MBDA UK is responsible for finalizing this topic - probably as part of arrangements with BAE Systems.

Even the illustrative visualization shows that two tubes with missiles can fit under one flap of the Mk. 41 launcher. General Marciniak - this is the head of Polish air-defense programs - clearly said that the Mk. 41 will carry containers, and each container will carry two CAMM MR missiles. These containers will have to be designed.

POLMISS-2_MBDA.jpg

ESSM quad-packs in the form of the Mk 25 canister are the norm in the Mk 41. (I don't think there even is a single-round ESSM canister for the Mk 41.)

1714594858913.png

1714594898659.png

As mentioned a couple of times in this thread, there was a patent that shows a way to dual-pack a modified SM-2 MR (minus strakes and fins) into Mk 41.

As it stands right now, Mk 57 carries the same canisters as the MK 41, just with adapters. There are no known canisters specific to Mk 57.

Last edited:
Can't link it here. But unfortunately one of the UK supplied HMT/Asraam Frankensam systems has been hit and destroyed in Donetsk by a Russian Lancet. Definitely not a dummy system either. System was parked up with a damaged tyre and, given the time delay between detection and lancet strike (position of sun and shadows in the video) is likely to not have been manned at the time.

Can't link it here. But unfortunately one of the UK supplied HMT/Asraam Frankensam systems has been hit and destroyed in Donetsk by a Russian Lancet. Definitely not a dummy system either. System was parked up with a damaged tyre and, given the time delay between detection and lancet strike (position of sun and shadows in the video) is likely to not have been manned at the time.
How much electronics does that Supacat actually carry, though? A FLIR to point the ASRAAMs in the right direction?

So it's a relatively cheap loss?

How much electronics does that Supacat actually carry, though? A FLIR to point the ASRAAMs in the right direction?

So it's a relatively cheap loss?

The HMT600 was surplus from the Soothsayer programme
The Asraam are all Block V or lower so were going to be retired anyway
The EO/IR kit is surplus from the Mastiff Protected Eyes from the Talisman Mine Clearance system, now retired post Afghanistan
Surplus Tornado launcher rails.

So all surplus gear...apart from we don't know about the fire control system. God knows what that is....or how complex it is. Can't be big though...

The real cost is that there is only a handful of these made and its unlikely we'll make any more.

Last edited:
Below I am posting the translation of a Polish article about the agreement concluded half a year ago at the MSPO fair regarding cooperation in the development of the FCM missile.

"MBDA and PGZ concluded a cooperation agreement during MSPO 2023 in Kielce to develop a new, low-cost CAMM interceptor missile. The CAMM-MR missile will be designed for advanced land and sea air defense systems that combat threats at medium distances.

The letter of intent signed by representatives of PGZ and MBDA is a consequence of the consent expressed by the governments of Great Britain and Poland for development work on a future joint missile based on the CAMM family of anti-aircraft missiles as part of the 2030 Partnership - a strategic document signed by Great Britain and Poland.

The concept of developing CAMM-MR results from an agreement with the Polish Ministry of National Defense. The missile is intended to complement CAMM and CAMM-ER in the potential of the integrated air and missile defense system (IAMD), combining the Miecznik, Pilica+, Narew and Wisła programs.

Eric Béranger, president of MBDA, said: Joint work on a new missile is a historic event for our companies and the development of European systems for the defense of Europe. MBDA was established to support the cross-border development of missile systems in Europe, so we are proud to collaborate with PGZ and Poland on this important new project.

Poland's involvement in the future development of the CAMM missile family comes after the successful British-Italian cooperation, which resulted in the creation of CAMM-ER. Currently, MBDA is working with PGZ to expand the missile production potential in Poland, including under the Pilica+, Narew, Miecznik and Ottokar Brzoza programs, supported by the transfer of knowledge and technology from MBDA to the Polish defense industry. This cooperation provides Poland with significant military capabilities, offering good value for money and stimulating the domestic economy and creating high-skilled jobs.
"

Quote from: https://www.altair.com.pl/e-report/view?article_id=1430

In the tweets below we see pages 8 and 9 of the presentation, probably from the last Defence24 Days.

Page 8 is titled "New Technologies".

We see 4 categories of components of the CAMM ER missile. The first is: "radiolocation seeker", the second is: "missile engine", the third is: "final assembly and tests of missile", and the fourth is: "missile launcher - final assembly and tests".

In the "radiolocation seeker" category we read: "Serial production of selected components, assembly, tests of systems and ready-made tracking and guidance heads in an anechoic chamber."

In the "missile engine" category we read: "Serial production of missile engines with a carbon fiber composite body, high-energy solid missile fuel, test stands."

In the "final assembly and tests of missiles" category we read: "Serial production of complete missiles, final tests, specialized measurement equipment."

In the "missile launcher - final assembly and tests" category we read: "Integration with the chassis, installation of navigation, system communications, system tests of ready-made launchers including Up/Down link".

Page 9 is called "Main areas of ToT and ToK (Transfer of Technology, Transfer of Knowledge)".

We see three areas there, the first is: "radiolocation seeker", the second is: "missile engine", the third is: "warhead". The slide also shows that these three areas are "planned areas of technology acquisition and development by PGZ companies". (PGZ is Polska Grupa Zbrojeniowa, a group of Polish arms companies owned by the Polish state.) From the slide and the description of this tweet it follows that the development versions of these three technologies will go to FCM, i.e. CAMM MR.

One more thing, the information contained in tweet no. 2 shows that, according to PGZ representatives, the development of the FCM missile is a 10-year horizon.