Some Automotive Fun...

It keeps getting stopped:

Prejudiced cops…

Driving while grey…

I am the night!
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olmtDGylNNI

Last edited:
Nobody’s home: Phoenix cop left talking to customer support after pulling over driverless taxi
The unmanned vehicle was pulled over after allegedly driving in ‘opposing lanes of traffic’, according to a Phoenix police officer

After connecting to a support rep, the officer said: “Your car here drove into oncoming lanes of traffic.”

The self-driving car went into “opposing lanes of traffic” in a construction area, “which is real bad,” the officer explained.

A passerby then approached the pulled-over vehicle and tells the officer: “I couldn’t help but come over here just out of morbid curiosity. I thought maybe there was a passenger.”

The officer replied, “You know the construction here? It was going eastbound in the westbound lanes, which is real bad. So I light it up and it takes off in the intersection.” The officer then laughed.

The Waymo support representative then said he would review video footage of the alleged incident.

Waymo told The Independent in a statement that the driverless vehicle “encountered inconsistent construction signage and briefly entered an unoccupied oncoming lane of traffic.” The car was then “blocked from navigating back into the correct lane” for about 30 seconds.

Police Pull Over Car for Driving on Wrong Side of Road, Startled to Discover It Has No Driver
"So your car here drove into oncoming lanes of traffic."
Phoenix PD

A video making the rounds on social media shows a police officer in Phoenix, Arizona pulling over a vehicle after it drove down a busy road in the opposing lane.

But as the body cam footage, which was shared by AZCentral last week, quickly reveals, there's no human driver behind the wheel. It's a driverless taxi operated by self-driving car company Waymo — leading to an unusual and incredibly awkward interaction.

"There's no driver," the officer told dispatch over his radio. "Hi!" he added cheerfully once the window was automatically rolled down.

"Connected to rider support," a robotic voice answered unperturbed. "This call may be recorded for quality assurance."

"So your car here drove into oncoming lanes of traffic," the cop told the Waymo support team member.

"Okay, I will go ahead and take a look at that right now," the disembodied voice replied.

and

The police officer hits their lights, pulling over the vehicle in front of them, walks up to the driver's window, and ... there's no one inside.

It prompts a question that can only be asked in the handful of U.S. cities that allow autonomous vehicles: What happens when an officer stops a car and there's no driver?

That question, accompanied by a photograph of a Waymo autonomous vehicle that had been pulled over in central Phoenix on June 19, was posted on the social media website Reddit last month. Phoenix police and Waymo officials confirmed the vehicle was driving in an oncoming traffic lane near Seventh Avenue and Osborn Road. There was no passenger, and no other cars involved.

Here's what happened in Phoenix, and what you need to know.

I have to love Waymo's optimism.
"Sure, we can use our driverless taxi in traffic. Hmmm? Test it before we put it there? That is soooo not Agile"
proxy-image.gif

Those aren't so much cylinders as pile drivers.
Theres just something about massive cylinder sizes
I can remember a couple of crazy v-twin powered motor cycles of around 5 liters displacement built from aero engine components
This one used a couple of cylinders sliced off of a rolls royce merlin
main-qimg-5a11b4a5ed5e75a4c3f65e5f11280470

merlinvtwin.jpg

And you had the flying mallard which had a 5lt v-twin using heads and cylinders from a Pratt and Whitney 1340 radial
flying-millyard-06.jpg

Flying-Millyard-Motorcycle-is-Powered-by-a-5000-cc-V-twin-Engine-05.jpg

A road not taken, until now. I'd shudder to think how much lift it generates at speed but it's certainly a beauty. It's on show at the Goodwood Festival of Speed now.

Attachments

• 815_auto_union_t52_121a.jpg
    815_auto_union_t52_121a.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 3
  • A243393_large-2048x1366.jpg
    A243393_large-2048x1366.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 800_auto_union_typ_52_083.jpg
    800_auto_union_typ_52_083.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A243387_large-2048x1366.jpg
    A243387_large-2048x1366.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 4
  • A243386_large-2048x1070.jpg
    A243386_large-2048x1070.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 831_t52_031.jpg
    831_t52_031.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 4
In 2000, Audi showed the Rosemeyer concept car, obviously inspired by the Type 52.

Attachments

• 2000-audi-rosemeyer-concept-2.jpg
    2000-audi-rosemeyer-concept-2.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 2000-audi-rosemeyer-concept-1.jpg
    2000-audi-rosemeyer-concept-1.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 3
  • car-audi-rosemeyer-concept-03.jpg
    car-audi-rosemeyer-concept-03.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 3
  • smcars_003_moblur.jpg
    smcars_003_moblur.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 4
Some more on the Auto Union Type 52 recreation. O'Rourke Coachtrimmers & Supplies fitted the interior. Watch through to the end, it's beautiful, and you get a history lesson on 1930s techniques.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfdb9AgGrN4

The engineering company that built the car is Crosthwaite and Gardiner, which has had an association with Audi for years, recreating the famous Auto Union racing cars. Their website and YouTube channel are rather sparse and have nothing about this project yet but something may be loaded soon.

Nobody’s home: Phoenix cop left talking to customer support after pulling over driverless taxi.
Did you know how—
“33.52 mph”
…could you walk a…no that won’t work
“You want me to put a breathilizer where?”

E-mail citation—DWUBSOD
DRIVING UNDER BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

“Your pull-over is very important to us…please stay on hold…”

Last edited:
Did you know how—
“33.52 mph”
…could you walk a…no that won’t work
“You want me to put a breathilizer where?”

E-mail citation—DWUBSOD
DRIVING UNDER BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

“Your pull-over is very important to us…please stay on hold…”
Now wheres Tom Selleck and the runaway division when you really need them...?
95eceb4d7b61a5bde70ae6c04cdb459b7a930ca5.jpg

Life imitating hollywood and it only took 40 years-ish

The old ways are best….so, wolfsbane does what to the LIDAR?

I know garlic overloads the catalytic converter…

“Even a man who is pure in heart
and says his prayers at night
may become a road rager when
the slow-poke/straggler looms
and makes him miss the light.”

Say it with me now—“antipasto”

Last edited:
The old ways are best….so, wolfsbane does what to the LIDAR?

I know garlic overloads the catalytic converter…

“Even a man who is pure in heart
and says his prayers at night
may become a road rager when
the slow-poke/straggler looms
and makes him miss the light.”

Say it with me now—“antipasto”
Antipasto, what did pasto do to them? Just use your noodle. Could be a Linguiniest.