Some Aerospace Fun and Humor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say "Spirit Airlines," but I'd need to hear audio of some low-IQ high-calorie passengers fighting to be sure.
Nah, Christo airline- ;)

Or alternatively, Single Mom airline, reflecting how everything that is broken got "fixed" with duct tape (if you have been one of these kids, you´ll understand)...

Last edited:
Nah, Christo airline- ;)
Ugh. Christo.

Gather round, kids, storytime. I got my AeroE degree from Iowa State U in '95. Like any self respecting U with an Aero department, we had a wind tunnel. So, in 89 or so (a few years before I got there) Christo came to ISU to test a scale model of the "Umbrellas" art installation. A good idea, as the umbrellas were giant heavy metal structures. The tunnel tests showed that it was safe. But then... they built the thing, the wind picked up, yoinked one of the umbrellas out of the ground and yeeted at some woman and killed her dead. Whoopsie.

The Aero E department found the whole thing darkly hilarious. Why? Because the Aero E department wasn't consulted. It was the Civil E's who ran the project, and apparently did it wrong. The thing people just refuse to understand: Aero E's build weapons. Civil E's build targets.

Unrelated storytime: before I got to ISU, they'd had a Nuke E department, but for various reasons - including dumbass anti-nuke protests doubtless shadow-backed by the Soviets - the Nuke E department was shut down. The anti-nuke luddites were thrilled. But about the time I got there they were freaking out because even though the department had split... they left the GD *reactor* behind. Left unattended in the basement with no subject matter experts to deal with it. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just the thing to put in nacelles of my model Enterprise—no need for LEDs

Ayup. They lost the tanks, then they got squished at a roadside scrap metal plant. Womp womp.
Hmmh - so two tanks necessary to power the fourth stage (really - four ELV stages needed just to get to a low orbit in this day and age - guess this is the prime example of a launch vehicle designed by a "political" committee???) of the so billed final Vega flight produced by the Italian manufacturer Avio located in Colleferro not far from so-called eternal Rome were trashed - well, I, for one, am completely, totally, nay utterly convinced that there were absolutely no Mafia related corruption shenanigans whatsoever involved in this ... regrettable incident, no siree bob...

Last edited:
It's really a B-36 with tracks.

The idea was to replace giant tyres with system that use Tracks.
in order to land on unsurfaced land,
They abandon the idea and used tyres on a runway.

Reactions: Nik
€200m lost with the mission. Hope they at least kept the receipts from the scrapyard.
I'd hope so too, but something tells me there won't be too much usable information left behind for Italian forensic auditors to dig through...

Last edited:
I call BS - this design has the sidecar on the left instead of the right, but Brits haven't designed and built an airliner since the BAe 146/RJ!
Ah, it must be Japanese then. They're the ones that wanted a fixed-gear 747 to maximise passenger capacity, after all.

Post WW2, the US Army experimented with a Piper L-4 with a similar track revolving around a pair of motorcycle wheels. The initial goal was to allow it the land on rough, plowed fields. The long term goal was to allow very heavy SAC bombers to land on thin asphalt runways without cracking the asphalt.

Last edited:
"Propeller" propulsion is an abomination. Any aeronautical propulsion method that cannot at least achieve firmly supersonic speed should just curl up, whimper, and lonely die in a corner. I'd be happy to provide any further extremely opinionated details on this, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
It's Christmas Tree, but by Strategic Air Command !
GBFIlAaXcAE5m68

Status
Not open for further replies.