That makes sense, they give the old but still viable stock to Ukraine saving the UK MoD the time and money required to de-mill time-expired

To be honest there won't be any close to time expired. I'd expect most of the current stockpile to be <5 years old...if not younger...

Why UK purchases LMM as a MANPADS and not Starstreak?

Buying LMM doesn't exclude future Starstreak purchases, as the launchers support both missiles, but I suspect LMM is priority as it is cheaper and is sufficiently capable against UAVs, which are the volume threat at present.

Mach 1.5 is more than adequate against a Shaheed, no need for Mach 3+.

LMM is a cheaper more versatile weapon albeit it slower, whereas Starstreak is optimised as an aircraft killer. It’s unclear as to if more Starstreaks have been produced/purchased, in 2022 the line was said to be near closure, but I don’t believe it has been.

Last edited:
Cheaper yes, not necessarily more flexible. Starstreak has a very handy indeed secondary anti-tank capability, for example.
Depends how much the threat your facing needs a contact/prox fuse Armour Piercing/frag warhead compared to a direct hit with a small high KE body, albeit with a small contact detonated charge. I like the interoperability of launcher so long as both missiles are available.

LMM is supplementary to Starstreak. Better for dealing with targets that need a proximity fused warhead, and for slower targets. Starstreak will continue to be used against fast air and AH.

There will be a new order for Starstreak 2/3 in the near future...