R.I. P. - Gerald H. Balzer

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I received a message from Gerald Balzer's daughter this morning that Gerry passed away early this moring, a week shy of his 98th birthday. I was down to see Gerry a week ago as he had asked for us to come collect his personal libary and bring it back to St. Louis to add to our Museum archives. Last Fall, we brought back the photos, drawings and documents and those added up to 80+ legal boxes. He had fallen in his home about 6 week earlier and had laid there for 2+ days before being found which led to a week in the hospital and three weeks in rehab. He decided to move in with his daughter who lived nearby and sold his home almost immediately. We ended up bring back 100+ legal boxes along with a wide variety of other material. I spoke with him the following day to check in on him as we were all exhausted from the previous day's efforts. He was in good spirits and thankful that his personal collection was all together and would be taken care of. Didi not imagine that would be the last I would speak with him and I had planned to go see him to celebrate his birthday. Alas, that is not to be. I met Gerry some 20+ years ago and thoroughly enjoyed his friendship and time with him and his generosity sharing his collection and his time - many weekend's at his place scanning photos and talking aircraft and the past few years simply talking about life are something I'll cherish for as long as I will remember.

Prayers for him and his family.... Mark

A full life of purpose. Few would ask for, or receive more.
Clear sky and a following wind honored Sir.

I was very fortunate to be in contact by email with Gerald Balzer about ten years ago. He was a very friendly, generous and accessible person. We agreed on a small exchange protocol. I sent him aviation books, and he sent me scans of photos from his fabulous collection. He had in fact scanned a large part of his collection of prints, negatives, positive transparencies and contributed to numerous reference books, notably at Specialty Press (his own book on the XP-54/55/56 is exceptional in every respect. My favorite book). In this Spring 2017 AAHS newsletter (https://www.aahs-online.org/pubs/flightline/fl_194.pdf), you will find on page 9 a little biography of Mr Balzer, and the incredible and exciting way he had saved from the destruction thousands of negatives (flying wings and so on...) from Northrop. I also join a screenshot of the article. Although I never met Mr. Balzer personally (which I greatly regret), his passing leaves me with a feeling of emptiness because he is something of a role model for me. R.I.P. Mr. Balzer. Gerald Balzer.png

Last edited: