Production Standard Convair B-60?

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
Evening gents

I am looking for drawings/art work/profiles of the `proposed' production standard Convair B-60 - had it been selected by the USAF`s SAC as a replacement for its B-36 Peacemaker.
I have read in literature that its cockpit canopy and forward fuselage was to be more refined and aerodynamic!

Thanks in advance
Regards
Pioneer

Check out the book "Magnesium Overcast" by Dennis Jenkins. There are photos in that book that show YB-60 Prototype No. 2, which actually designated B-60A with the production style streamlined nose.

It looks a lot better than the nose that was flown on the prototype.

I modified a drawing of the first prototype to show the second one's nose. No changes to the canopy from what I read in Magnesium Overcast. Now, the production model was supposed to use podded turboprop engines instead of jets.

canisd said:
Now, the production model was supposed to use podded turboprop engines instead of jets.

I'm not sure if that was actually the case or whether the turboprop version was simply a last-ditch effort by Convair to keep interest in theB-60 concept. There was a civilian airliner version of the B-60 proposed and that retained its jets.

Likewise, I don't think final production details such as the disposition of the armament had been decided when the program was axed.

Bill Garvin said:
There was a civilian airliner version of the B-60 proposed and that retained its jets.
That's what it was supposed to look like. Not much left in common with the B-36...

Attachments

• B-60_prod.jpg
    B-60_prod.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 266
Stargazer2006 said:
Bill Garvin said:
There was a civilian airliner version of the B-60 proposed and that retained its jets.
That's what it was supposed to look like. Not much left in common with the B-36...

Actually, that's one of the X-6 designs, using the B-60 airframe instead of the B-36 airframe. Note the pack of engines under the aft fuselage.

That could account for the different cockpit. IIRC, a cockpit similar to the NB-36 was to be used.

This is the picture I had of the transport version of the B-60. Sorry if its inconveniently big

Edit: Picture downsized and attached, the full size version is available on
www.456fis.org/XC-99_B-36.htm

Attachments

• Convair_Model_6_Jet_Airliner_sm.jpg
    Convair_Model_6_Jet_Airliner_sm.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 199
Back
Top Bottom