Notional Fighter Projects from NASA

is this the first and only mismatched caption in the archive? way no...
otherwise, Martin could be responsoble for MiG-21 model testing and reporting its calculated performance data

Hi,

anther fighter I can't ID it.

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/File:1990-03_Variable_Sweep_Fighter.jpg

Attachments

• 759px-1990-03_Variable_Sweep_Fighter.jpg
    759px-1990-03_Variable_Sweep_Fighter.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 201
hesham said:
here is a V/STOL Notional fighter,I think it was from NASA

Very unlikely considering the caption which says "shown in a company brochure"...

Looks very F-16-ish to me, so my bet would be on a General Dynamics design.

It is clearly somewhere in the BAe P.1216 family.

My dears Skyblazer and Tom,

I check out about this fighter,it was from McDonnell Douglas chapter 15,may be associated
with BAe.

Since the picture is credited from Rolls-Royce, I suspect it's a not completely accurate rendering of P.1216 illustrating the RB.422 engine. That engine is discussed a few pages after the drawing.

From the File; Mason’s Perspective on the X-29

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    387.4 KB · Views: 514
Hi,

here is a NASA VTOL fighter design.

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/abs/10.2514/3.59870?journalCode=ja

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 335
  • b.png
    b.png
    33 KB · Views: 327
Hi,

a strange NASA canard fighter,called advanced control configured aircraft.

Flygvapennytt 2-1973

Attachments

• NASA   2-1973.png
    NASA 2-1973.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 172
NASA tested models of all known Soviet designs during the Cold War. They also reused models a lot. It might not have a deeper meaning.

Indeed. NASA and other wind tunnel operators might often be presented with the need to test some sort of generic concept... how does such and such sort of configuration deal with side-slip or wingtip vortices or downdrafts or store separation or who knows what, and if the precise configuration isn't terribly important then any model they have on hand that more or less fits the bill... go ahead and slap it into the test rig.

it could also be as simple as test instrumentation calibration... new instruments with an old and well understood model.