Northrop Grumman B-21 Long Range Strike Bomber Name Contest

From this hilarious spoof of the US warplane procurement system (actually about a replacement for the F-22, but it applies pretty well): www.fredoneverything.net/RabidBat.shtml

An early question was what to call the new fighter. By tradition, aircraft were named after aggressive but unintelligent birds (F-15 Eagle, F16 Fighting Falcon), unpleasant animals (AH-1 Cobra, F-18 Hornet) ghosts (F-4 Phantom, AC-130 Spectre) or Stone Age nomads (AH-64 Apache). However, something with more pizzazz was needed to get funding through Congress.

Discussion ensued. Suggestions were solicited from The Building, as the Pentagon calls itself. These ran from “F-40 Screaming Kerblam” to the politically marginal “Horrendous Dyke,” whose author believed that it would depress enemy fliers. Going with zoological tradition, the Air Force wanted to call it the Rabid Bat. A congressional wag weary of military price tags suggested “Priscilla,” because that no pilot would then go near it and the country would be spared the expense of wars. (His idea of painting it in floral patterns was not taken seriously.)

A national transgender- advocacy group favored “Susan B. Anthony,” but this was held to be disrespectful of Ebonics, and in any event Anthony might be Susan. It was hard to tell about these things.

The Air Force prevailed. The Rabid Bat was born.

My favourite names are:

- B-21 Bat
- B-21 Ghost
- B-21 Ninja
- B-21 Raider
- B-21 Shadow

The reason I suggested Boomerang is the B-21's boomerang-like shape and how it's eventual cost will return time and again to haunt the American taxpayer. I thought the USAF had learned its lesson from the B-2 program where delays after delays and rising costs were nothing less than astronomical. -SP

kagemusha said:
My favourite names are:

- B-21 Shadow

Shadow is taken -- RQ-7

http://www.textronsystems.com/products/unmanned/shadow

In the hopes that this bird will prove military aviation procurement projects don't always have to be less cost effective than their predecessors I'd like to nominate:

B-21 Mythbuster

Come to think of it, a pretty suitable and adequately aggressive alternative could be:

B-21 Savage ("I'll reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage)
B-21 Hyneman is clearly out of the question, even if Jamie reputedly always "wants big boom".

Since it will among other things likely have a maritime strike role, what about Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus)?

The Kraken, so when the time comes for a maritime strike the president can exclaim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqC_m3yUDU​

UpForce said:
In the hopes that this bird will prove military aviation procurement projects don't always have to be less cost effective than their predecessors I'd like to nominate:

B-21 Mythbuster

Come to think of it, a pretty suitable and adequately aggressive alternative could be:

B-21 Savage ("I'll reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage)
B-21 Hyneman is clearly out of the question, even if Jamie reputedly always "wants big boom".

I think Adam Savage would cry in his latte if they named a bomber after him. (Still like Tested though. ;) )

B-21 Virtus, Roman Deity of bravery and military strength. I was going to name my idea of the GBSD this but I'll lend it for the new bomber.

B-21 Public-Report-Free DOT&E
B-21 Leak-Free DOT&E

And in the spirit of the 21st amendment, the B-21 Prohibitor

marauder2048 said:
B-21 Public-Report-Free DOT&E
B-21 Leak-Free DOT&E

And in the spirit of the 21st amendment, the B-21 Prohibitor
The 21st Amendment repealed the 18th Amendment (prohibition) so........B-21 Repealer?

Let's just call it "Jaws" because it'll be one other way for NG to take a big bite out of the American taxpayer. -SP

B-21 Jump Street
B-21 Window Maker
B-21 Black Windows II.I
B-21 Spirit Junior
B-21 Darth Zoon (vader = Dutch for "father", zoon = Dutch for "son")
B-21 Catch-Me-If-You-Can
B-21 Freedom Striker
B-21 Vertigo
B-21 Nightmare
B-21 Administrator

A little more serious...

B-21 Ghost
B-21 Spectre
B-21 Haunter
B-21 Sorcerer
B-21 Centurion
B-21 Retaliator
B-21 Liberator II
B-21 Stealth Fortress

archipeppe said:
Like Queen would sing "Another one bites the tax..."

I'm sure if somebody told the .gov where they could get a new bomber for free they'd take a look. Any ideas?

sferrin said:
archipeppe said:
Like Queen would sing "Another one bites the tax..."

I'm sure if somebody told the .gov where they could get a new bomber for free they'd take a look. Any ideas?
Fact of the matter is at the height of B-21 bomber procurement will be what maybe $10B/year when the federal budget will likely be over $6 TRILLION/year? So if you were making $60k/year and a key home security cost to keep your home and family safe cost you $100 bucks.

Iain M. Banks would have had some good ideas. In his Culture stories, war craft had very ironic names. "Frank Exchange of Views" is one of my favourites. If a particularly manly name is called for, how about B-21 Old Spice?

Wraith is a good name but isn't this the nickname of the RQ_170?

I Like "Damocles" (as in sword of) but this is probably politically incorrect so we'll end up with a committee decision based on focus group studies ... ladies and gentlemen, I give you..... "the i-bomber"

Dreamfighter said:
B-21 Jump Street
B-21 Window Maker
B-21 Black Windows II.I
B-21 Spirit Junior
B-21 Darth Zoon (vader = Dutch for "father", zoon = Dutch for "son")
B-21 Catch-Me-If-You-Can
B-21 Freedom Striker
B-21 Vertigo
B-21 Nightmare
B-21 Administrator

A little more serious...

B-21 Ghost
B-21 Spectre
B-21 Haunter
B-21 Sorcerer
B-21 Centurion
B-21 Retaliator
B-21 Liberator II
B-21 Stealth Fortress

I like Retaliator - but you have to say it the right way...

I am the B-21 Re - Ta - Li - A - TOR. I'll Be Back!

;) ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 8.52.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 8.52.25 PM.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 161
Mat Parry said:
Wraith is a good name but isn't this the nickname of the RQ_170?

I used "Wrath" not "Wraith". There is a difference.

It's not all about you

Several other people in this topic suggested wraith which for what it's worth I like.... wrath however is rubbish (in my opinion, which on this topic is as valid as yours)

Distilling some recent suggestions you could call it:

B-21 iRay

Which combines the Jobsian "i" fad with "ray" for the planform shape to phonetically spell the Latin word "irae" which means "wrath"* and thanks to the Requiem Mass and Verdi comes with its own theme song "Dies Irae".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et4doz_Nltc

* "Wraith" sounds similar but comes from the Germanic root "warduz" to defend while "wrath" comes from the Germanic root "wraithaz" for anger.

Mat Parry said:
It's not all about you

I didn't assume it was but as your remark was made immediately after mine, I assumed you were addressing me. I apologise for misreading your meaning.

Several other people in this topic suggested wraith which for what it's worth I like.... wrath however is rubbish (in my opinion, which on this topic is as valid as yours)

As the B-21 would be used primarily as a means of second, rather than first strike, I believe "wrath" is apt. Unless of course the B-21 would be used as a means of first strike?

Well now it's official.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCegaQrCYvI

If you are in the Air Force you can submit your name here:

http://www.afgsc.af.mil/Library/NametheB-21Bomber/NametheB-21SubmissionForm.aspx

GTX said:
I think "Sentinel" would work well.
The Lockheed Martin RQ-170 has already the name "Sentinel", so as a TRANSFORMERS(TM) Fan, the name "Sentinel Prime" would suit in that case. ;)