Next Chinese aircraft carrier - Type 002 'Shandong' and Type 003 'Fujian'

It would not surprise me that the Fujisan's weapons elevators would be electromagnetically driven that would mean faster times up to the flight deck than using the old system.

It would not surprise me that the Fujisan's weapons elevators would be electromagnetically driven that would mean faster times up to the flight deck than using the old system.

Well my understanding is the advantage of electromagnetic elevators was the lack of cabling which allows deck hatches to be closed above or below the elevators as they rise. This is primarily a survivability feature. The placement of the weapon elevators does make me think this technology was used.

Don't know about that NMaude, that deadline does not leave room to develop a nuclear carrier.

True, however 2027 is the 100th anniversary of the CCP's founding and Xi is communicated that he really, REALLY wants Taiwan to be forced into the CCP at all costs.
You know, I don't get their fascination with Taiwan, the section of Manchuria Russia stole from them is 30x the size and has vastly more natural resources.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjDjnhOzqIU&t=960s

I've not heard of any plans for Taiwan to claim independence either (and God knows, all it would do is add a label in front of a seat at the UNGA), so is there actually a reason for the current hostile atmosphere beyond the need of Communists to control everything and be threateny all the time?

Last edited:
The obsession dates back to Mao back in the 50s, that being said the CCP Hasn't forgot about Outer Manchuria.
The "obsession" is greatly about not allowing an independent Chinese nation to continue to exist... especially one that has, in its founding documents, the declaration that it is the only legitimate government of ALL China and that the Communist government of mainland China is an illegitimate usurper body, and that the Republic of China (Taiwan) intends to one day reclaim control of all China.

Likewise, the Communist government of mainland China considers itself to be the only legitimate Chinese government and that the remnants of the Nationalist Chinese government that sought refuge in Taiwan in 1949 is an illegal band of thugs.

Yes, the Chinese Civil War did NOT end in October 1949 - at least not for the Chinese governments.

Last edited:
You know, I don't get their fascination with Taiwan,
It's the last holdouts of the losers of the Chinese Civil War, the Kuomintang/Republic of China/Nationalist China.

Also, back in 1949, the US told Mao to finish the civil war and invade. But by the time that all the troops and ships had been moved to position this Stalin-backed Useful Idiot launched an invasion below the 38th parallel and the US said "Mao will take the island of Formosa over the burning wreckage of 7th Fleet."

the section of Manchuria Russia stole from them is 30x the size and has vastly more natural resources.
Oh, believe me, that's on the list to be dealt with.

The new Chinese carrier is looking impressive.
It will be interesting to see her trial her airgroup. Last such new deal moment was Kiev trialing her Yak 38s in the 70s.
I wonder how close US subs will be able to get to her.

When I see how the Communists conveniently spread down from the Manchuria territory that Russia stole a century earlier, I found myself asking whether it was really a civil war at all?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWqVzZnwnOk&t=400s
The history of the Chinese Communists and the Chinese Civil War starts long before that... in 1921 to be specific.

That was the year the Chinese Communist Party was formed within China, and even (in the 1920s) worked WITH the Nationalist government to suppress warlords that were tearing northern China apart.

Once most of them were gone , the Nationalists turned on the Communists in April 1927 and tried to eliminate them.

After 7 years of fighting, the Communists were forced to withdraw from most of China to the Gansu area in western China from October 1934 - October 1936 (the Long March).

Fighting continued intermittently until early 1937, when an anti-Japanese pact was formed. While not formally ended until 1945, the Nationalist government resumed combat against the Communists in 1940 and continued diverting forces from anti-Japanese operations to anti-Communist warfare until their final defeat in 1949, to the great annoyance and frustration of the US.

In June 1946 the Communists moved into and conquered the formerly Japanese-held parts of Manchuria (with the aid of the USSR), then turned south to take the rest of the mainland.

So while there WAS aid from the USSR, it was truly a native Chinese Civil War.

In June 1946 the Communists moved into and conquered the formerly Japanese-held parts of Manchuria (with the aid of the USSR), then turned south to take the rest of the mainland.

So while there WAS aid from the USSR, it was truly a native Chinese Civil War.
Thanks for the detailed insight, but that last statement contradicts itself somewhat. It was also not just aid, but orders and land too.

Manchuria, the part of China that the CCP moved into was occupied by the USSR after the war, they gave it to the CCP.

In the last month of World War II in East Asia, Soviet forces launched the huge Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation against the Japanese Kwantung Army in Manchuria and along the Chinese-Mongolian border.[48] This operation destroyed the Kwantung Army in just three weeks and left the USSR occupying all of Manchuria by the end of the war in a total power vacuum of local Chinese forces. Consequently, the 700,000 Japanese troops stationed in the region surrendered. Later in the year Chiang Kai-shek realized that he lacked the resources to prevent a CCP takeover of Manchuria following the scheduled Soviet departure.[49] He therefore made a deal with the Soviets to delay their withdrawal until he had moved enough of his best-trained men and modern materiel into the region. However, the Soviets refused permission for the Nationalist troops to traverse its territory and spent the extra time systematically dismantling the extensive Manchurian industrial base (worth up to $2 billion) and shipping it back to their war-ravaged country.
In the winter of 1945–46, Joseph Stalin commanded Marshal Rodion Malinovsky to give Mao Zedong most Imperial Japanese Army weapons that were captured.[52]
Moreover, the Soviet Union turned over all of its captured Japanese weapons and a substantial amount of their own supplies to the Communists, who received Northeastern China from the Soviets as well.[54]

Evidence of training too:

In 1923, Sun sent Chiang Kai-shek, one of his lieutenants, for several months of military and political study in Moscow.[18] Chiang then became the head of the Whampoa Military Academy that trained the next generation of military leaders. The Soviets provided the academy with teaching material, organization, and equipment, including munitions.[18] They also provided education in many of the techniques for mass mobilization. With this aid, Sun raised a dedicated "army of the party", with which he hoped to defeat the warlords militarily. CCP members were also present in the academy, and many of them became instructors, including Zhou Enlai, who was made a political instructor.

Last edited: