New North Korean ballistic missiles

North Korea launched a Hwasong-17 intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on March 24.

See:

Here is the KCNA video of the launch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3UbH4HErt0

This usually happens when our attention is somewhere else. It's their way
of saying I'm still here.

Ukraine and Libya give up nuclear weapons and get their countries trashed by countries that have them. So Mr Kim is the one who is crazy?

Here is the KCNA video of the launch.

Don't know if it's noted here but strong suspicions abound that only the initial spectacularly failed launch was a Hwasong-17 and the subsequent "success" was in fact a (perhaps somehow "souped up") Hwasong-15. Don't know whether there's further clarity on that but the "action movie" (with all its strong vainglorious and increasingly kadyrovite undertones) is almost certainly of the failed launch per open source researchers.

South Korea has incentive to downplay and has done so whenever they were outdone by North Korea. Hwasong-15 can not match thrust to weight ratio of Hwasong-17 even if former did not have warhead simulation payload unlike latter.

LINEAGE
Hwasong-12 > Hwasong-14 > Hwasong-15 > Hwasong-17

Hwasong-17 is more complex, but still safe bet design as it utilizes critical components used in older designs from 4 or 5 years ago.

My speculation about Hwasong-17
Drawing based on photos and videos from KCNA and KCTV.
Great, thank you.

Whenever North Korea starts transition to solid fuel ICBMs, I wonder if they repurpose Hwasong-15 and 17 as Space Launch Vehicles.
In fact, there are indications that they are planning to do so.

In two of the test launches, they installed satellite test loads on it.

With regard to the optical reconnaissance satellite that may appear in the future, I have speculated some data based on the reported photos and contents:

Working on ~600km SSO
Resolution ~2m
Swath width ~13km
Configuration may similar to Kompsat-3/3A

II think 38N's attitude of ignoring North Korea's military satellites is wrong. It seems that they always think that the new satellite test is still an excuse for missile test.

My speculation about Hwasong-17
Drawing based on photos and videos from KCNA and KCTV.
Great, thank you.

Whenever North Korea starts transition to solid fuel ICBMs, I wonder if they repurpose Hwasong-15 and 17 as Space Launch Vehicles.
In fact, there are indications that they are planning to do so.

In two of the test launches, they installed satellite test loads on it.

With regard to the optical reconnaissance satellite that may appear in the future, I have speculated some data based on the reported photos and contents:

Working on ~600km SSO
Resolution ~2m
Swath width ~13km
Configuration may similar to Kompsat-3/3A

II think 38N's attitude of ignoring North Korea's military satellites is wrong. It seems that they always think that the new satellite test is still an excuse for missile test.
Hwasong-15 has potential to match Unha-3 space launch vehicle.
While being around 15% lighter and only having two stages.

http://kcna.kp/en/article/q/b99a0b7ec8b44d08af33e5402ebf5d6c.kcmsf

In order to cope with the unstable situation of the Korean Peninsula, the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea adopted a decision to send more powerful and clear warning to the enemies on October 4 and took a measure to hit the set water area in the Pacific 4 500 kilometers across the Japanese Islands with new-type ground-to-ground intermediate-range ballistic missile.
A New-type of missile which maybe based on Hwasong-12.
There is only one main engine and different shape designs.
But at the same time, there are many characteristics that show that it is mainly designed based on hwasong-12.
And its range is longer than hwasong-12(~3700).
6(F~LO4826~@W7~OH~6Y)54.png

Last edited:
Range of Hwasong-12 is 3700 and this revision is 4500 kilometers.
Having no verniers and missile thrust vector controlled by single gimbaled nozzle.
Means better lower specific fuel consumption and longer burn time of the engine.
It may well be North Korea could pursue a single stage revision of the Hwasong-14.
Perhaps then second stage and payload combined into a MaRV type warhead.

Having no verniers and missile thrust vector controlled by single gimbaled nozzle.
Means better lower specific fuel consumption and longer burn time of the engine.
It may well be North Korea could pursue a single stage revision of the Hwasong-14.
I'm curious about their design purpose, which is to place the nozzle almost completely inside the missile.
It didn't soak the engine in fuel, but only contained the engine nozzle in the shell.

I'm curious about their design purpose, which is to place the nozzle almost completely inside the missile.
It didn't soak the engine in fuel, but only contained the engine nozzle in the shell.
They extended frame of the missile, to point where verniers ended.
Thus such space can be used to house nozzle steering mechanism.
Such is perhaps maybe more complex than one on Hwasong-15.

G
华城十二号射程为3700,本次改版为4500公里。
无游标,导弹推力矢量由单万向节喷管控制。
意味着更好的更低的特定燃料消耗和更长的发动机燃烧时间。
很可能朝鲜可以对 Hwasong-14 进行单阶段修改。
也许然后第二阶段和有效载荷组合成一个MarV型弹头。
我很好奇他们的设计目的,就是将喷嘴几乎完全放在导弹内部。
它没有将发动机浸泡在燃料中,而只是将发动机喷嘴包含在外壳中。
他们延长了导弹的框架,指向游标结束的地方。
因此,这样的空间可用于容纳喷嘴转向机构。
这可能比 Hwasong-15 上的更复杂。
Yes, I drew a simple imaginary diagram.

Don't tell me it's another AShBM?

Don't tell me it's another AShBM?
North Korea does not have any AShBM nor we know if they are developing any.
Though they have long range cruise missiles that could provide area denial.
To the point that aircraft group could run out of jet fuel before bombs.

Today's new photo show another new-type……
It is much shorter than hwasong-15 and has a larger warhead.
It maybe designed as a new medium-range ballistic missile.
View attachment 686827
This?

View attachment 686833
No.

Today's new photo show another new-type……
It is much shorter than hwasong-15 and has a larger warhead.
It maybe designed as a new medium-range ballistic missile.
View attachment 686827
This?

View attachment 686833
No.
True, just looked at the length. It has the same shape as the Pukguksong-1 however. Size is closest to the Hwasong-14 but that is thinner. Could be a Hwasong-15 minus a stage and with a different head based on dimensions.

Last edited:
New 140t solid fuel rocket engine.

If the configuration of the building is still 4m high, the cylinder diameter of the engine is about 1.5 to 1.6m.

At the same time, however, it was pointed out that the diameter of the engine should be 2.1 meters if the height of a person is 1.75 meters.
固体.jpg

Last edited:

If the configuration of the building is still 4m high, the cylinder diameter of the engine is about 1.5 to 1.6m.

At the same time, however, it was pointed out that the diameter of the engine should be 2.1 meters if the height of a person is 1.75 meters.
View attachment 689335
Before you made this I eyeballed in ballpark of 2.4 meter diameter.

Edit: Smaller than 2 meters?

FkFZGyFVUAASIE-.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 689335

View attachment 689342
Great photos! Is it from KCTV?
I think the picture from this angle shows that my guess of 1.6 meters should be closer.

View attachment 689335

View attachment 689342
Update:
According to his height, it is speculated that the height of the building may reach 6 meters, so it can be inferred that the diameter of the rocket engine may reach 2.3-2.4 meters (as you speculate).

2.jpg

I forgot to consider the size change caused by perspective when I saw the photos earlier.

View attachment 689335
To my knowledge, Kim Jong-un's height is significantly less than 1.75 metres (1.64 metres, if I remember South Korean intelligence services publicly released information correctly).

View attachment 689335
To my knowledge, Kim Jong-un's height is significantly less than 1.75 metres (1.64 metres, if I remember South Korean intelligence services publicly released information correctly).
I don't think 1.64 is correct, which doesn't match the photo of him and TEL of hwasong-17. If I didn't make an estimation error, then his height is close to the TEL's wheel height (1800mm), and 1.64m is quite short from 1.8m. But the actual specific height is difficult to confirm.

30 new 600mm MLRS systems have been officially handed over in a ceremony in Pyongyang:

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/4637585.html

this thing is outright gigantic for MLRS.
Which is exactly the reason the ROKUS CFC classifies those 600mm "MRL"s as SRBMs.
Accuracy of KN-25 is 80 to 90 meter circular error probable.
For KN-23 and KN-24 it is 35m CEP and basically as accurate as Paveway laser guided bomb that was used against Ira.
North Korea has very accurate ballistic missiles and guided rockets.