Military and intelligence leaders watched as coast guard officers showed photos of what the agency said was a military-grade laser that China had pointed at a Philippines ship in disputed waters days earlier.

Oh dear...

Last edited:
Imagine the outrage if the US started hauling anybody it wanted to prison for the crime of sailing in the Gulf of Mexico.
Probably the equivalent claim for the US would be insisting on sovereignty over anything claimed under the Guano Islands Act. Which, in the Caribbean, would look a bit like this, not allowing for median lines etc.

It would put the US in dispute with most of the Caribbean, and its neighbouring states, plus France, the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands. I suspect that China wouldn't give a damn, making it useless as a retaliatory measure

Probably the equivalent claim for the US would be insisting on sovereignty over anything claimed under the Guano Islands Act. Which, in the Caribbean, would look a bit like this, not allowing for median lines etc.

It would put the US in dispute with most of the Caribbean, and its neighbouring states, plus France, the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands. I suspect that China wouldn't give a damn, making it useless as a retaliatory measure
Yes, but no. Once we dropped our lines around the entire West Coast, East Coast, Alaska, Hawaii, Midway, the Johnston Atoll, etc. Well, I think we know what kind of tantrums we'd hear out of China. Especially if we started attacking all comers with water cannon and ramming. Any Chinese fishing vessels would be fair game.

Once we dropped our lines around Alaska, Hawaii, Midway, the Johnston Atoll, etc.
The US already claims territorial waters and an exclusive economic zone based on those territories. Much more aggressive maritime law enforcement in those waters would probably raise eyebrows, but nobody really questions that they're United States territory. If you look at a shipping traffic density map, you'll see a lot of arcs with a radius of about 200 nautical miles. That's the fishing fleets avoiding other people's territory.

The various uninhabited islands once claimed under the Guano Islands Act - list here - are a better analogy for what the Chinese are up to in the South China Sea. Not quite equivalent, but still basically amounts to 'uninhabited island of no real value that we're insisting is ours'.

The way they enforce their position under international law isn't nearly as concerning as the fact that they seem to think anywhere a Chinese foot once stood belongs to them.

The US already claims territorial waters and an exclusive economic zone based on those territories. Much more aggressive maritime law enforcement in those waters would probably raise eyebrows, but nobody really questions that they're United States territory. If you look at a shipping traffic density map, you'll see a lot of arcs with a radius of about 200 nautical miles. That's the fishing fleets avoiding other people's territory.

The various uninhabited islands once claimed under the Guano Islands Act - list here - are a better analogy for what the Chinese are up to in the South China Sea. Not quite equivalent, but still basically amounts to 'uninhabited island of no real value that we're insisting is ours'.

The way they enforce their position under international law isn't nearly as concerning as the fact that they seem to think anywhere a Chinese foot once stood belongs to them.
Need to mirror China and have our own 10-dash line around all of our territory. (We could let everybody, except China, continue business as usual.)

Last edited:
Ah well, they're making the classic mistake of turning of their neighbours against them. Who else made that mistake recently?

Wonder how long before some US folks get picked up?

And I don't mean USN sailors, I mean actual civilian merchant ship crew or captains.

Wonder how long before some US folks get picked up?

And I don't mean USN sailors, I mean actual civilian merchant ship crew or captains.
If they keep this up their neighbours will likely start playing chicken with them using anonymous naval drones packed with high explosive.

Monroe Doctrine to Manchu Doctrine

When was the last time folks got 'pressed at sea in any numbers--Barbary Coast?

Impressment used to be rather common.

I wonder how well the QBZ-191s will compare with Krags against the sons of Moro.

What was left there, outside of Pinatubo ash and lots of women's shoes?

Last edited: