Modern Racing Engines

Huh, the mods seem to have left out a lot of my replies...

The 2019 Unlimited rules specify a 4500lb empty weight. Piston engine, propeller driven, +-7 gees, and a few details about where exactly your radio controls are (on the throttle or stick, because you're flying HOTAS).

Ironically, I think the best way to get there is a twin engine design, more or less like the Dornier Do335 Arrow. The Pond Racer, no matter how much I find it aesthetically pleasing, has a lot more frontal area assuming the same size engines. Also, the Pond Racer is 3500lbs empty, so would need to find a way to add 1000lbs (scaling that airframe up 10% in every dimension should get you there).

Sticking a pair of those monster Mercury Racing engines in your airframe will probably give you 2000lbs of engines and props.

All -

Howdy ,

FWIW -
On this website under the main heading of “ research projects “ and the under sub- heading “ patent pending “….. if you scroll down to the post “ Daimler - Benz strange aircraft “ dated 20 May 2015….you can find a drawing for a notional air racer.

Fairly compact design, with aft pilot position which obliquely reminds of “ Tsunami “,
“ Gee Bee Model R “; XP-37 et al.

With regards,
357Mag

We can dream up a variety of low-drag configurations for a two-engined Sport Class racer drawn on a clean sheet of paper.
If we want to minimize frontal area, then we need only two nacelles/booms or even only one.
If your goal is reducing frontal area, the consider some radical configurations.
A push-me-pull-you - like a Dornier is out because of hassles with long drive shafts and high-G turns. Balance is a big problem with pusher propeller. But what about an up-sized Rutan Defiant twin-engines canard? We know that canards can be tailored for impressive range, but how well would they handle in turbulent formation flying?

Something like a Twin Mustang would have less frontal area than a Pond Racer or conventional twin.
Perhaps something asymmetrical - Raymer’s proposed light twin - with one tractor and one pusher engine. You could mount all the radiators, oil-coolers, etc. in the long, right-hand boom. If you mount the cockpit in the front of the same nacelle as the pusher engine, then the pilot gets better visibility. If he/she only has to turn left, then mount the cockpit in the left nacelle. This configuration favours propellers that turn counter-clockwise.

I was more thinking at a mini- Mixmaster (with a dual set in teh fuselage):

iu

Last edited: