McDonnell-Douglas Model Numbers

Hi All

Model 98R = F4H-1 Block 2
Model 98AM = F4H-1 Block 3

Model 75

Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/2017/08/mcdonnell-model-8181a-helicopter.html

Attachments

• McDonnell-Nr. 75.jpg
    McDonnell-Nr. 75.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 177
Does anyone have any idea what the Model number was for the MA-31 supersonic target? For those unfamiliar with this missile, prior to it's merger with Boeing, McD received a contract from the United States Navy to evaluate the Russian Zvezda-Strela M31 (the supersonic aerial target variant of the Kh-31A [AS-17 Krypton] AShM) for potential use by the USN as a threat simulator. This involved McDonnell Douglas modifying a number of M31s bought directly from Zvezda-Strela into the MA-31 standard to meet navy needs, with a view as to then mass producing MA-31s under licence in the United States if the evaluation was successful (subject to a competion involving at least one competing domestic US design). The conversions and new build missiles included US designed tracking beacon, telemetry and self-termination systems. A small initial batch was ordered from Boeing post-merger, with the company proposing the improved MA-31PG as the main production version for the Navy's SSST (Supersonic Sea-Skimming Target) requirement. However, the MA-31PG ultimately lost out to Orbital Sciences' GQM-163 Coyote which was a late comer to the SSST program.

Note that McDonnell Douglas received a number of M31s, and tested with the USN at least two completed MA-31 conversions (one as part of a MITRE Corporation study into the acoustic detection of cruise missiles), prior to the merger with Boeing being finalised.

Last edited:
I don't believe that the project has a "pure" St Louis (McAir) project designation.

ISTR that the project was run out of McDonnell Douglas Missile Systems; a separate organization. I have no insight as to what they did for numbers (if anything).

It's just my speculation, but is the McDonnell Douglas Model 196 the right name for the T.45 "Goshawk"?

It would likely be in the 4-digit D-series (possibly D-3138) as VTXTS/T-45 was initially a DAC Long Beach project (and program win) before it was transferred to MAC St. Louis in the early 90s.