M1126 Stryker - Projects, Variants & Prototypes

Hopefully it will be sorted out quickly. There are some aspects of the selected Oshkosh turret that I am not very fond of. The profile seems unnecessarily high compared to the Kongsberg turret that was fielded on the initial Stryker 'Dragoon' vehicles. Yes, I know a taller turret can sometimes buy you more gun depression and elevation, but I don't think that was a particular problem on the previous turret.

Regardless of the specifics, the 30mm chain gun is a very good thing for Stryker units to have in quantity, especially with the prevalence of drones around.

Is anyone aware if there has been any news about donating off the now-retired M1128 Stryker MGS to Ukraine? It seems pointless to have them sitting around in some warehouses, especially since the Ukrainians area already are using Strykers in some capacity.

Is anyone aware if there has been any news about donating off the now-retired M1128 Stryker MGS to Ukraine? It seems pointless to have them sitting around in some warehouses, especially since the Ukrainians area already are using Strykers in some capacity
As far as Im aware it was looked at and dismissed due to the MGS issues.

With the big one being the major overhaul all Strykers BUT MGS got around a Decade ago resulting in the MGS not having parts commonity with the rest of the fleet.

Hell back in 2020 half my units MGS was on LITERAL cinderblocks, as in the unit went out and bought some, so to keep the other half running.

They didn't upgrade them and as such they stop working. Then you have the 18 plus 1 ammo limit which went fast in Iraq cant imagine them lasting longer in actual war.

As far as Im aware it was looked at and dismissed due to the MGS issues.

With the big one being the major overhaul all Strykers BUT MGS got around a Decade ago resulting in the MGS not having parts commonity with the rest of the fleet.

Hell back in 2020 half my units MGS was on LITERAL cinderblocks, as in the unit went out and bought some, so to keep the other half running.

They didn't upgrade them and as such they stop working. Then you have the 18 plus 1 ammo limit which went fast in Iraq cant imagine them lasting longer in actual war.
That's rather unfortunate. Flaws aside it would still have been a stabilized 105mm gun with modern optics and fire control systems for them. I know those vehicles never got the double V-hull, but I would have thought they'd been fitted with newer automotive parts and other components representing what's being made back at the General Dynamics factory. Just so they didn't run into the problem you describe where vehicles are cannibalized to keep others running due to a lack of parts. I guess they must have given up on the Stryker MGS long ago, before its intended replacement was anywhere near.

I guess they must have given up on the Stryker MGS long ago, before its intended replacement was anywhere near.
Alternatively, the bureaucrats involved may have been far too busy with CYA to bother worrying about keeping the MGS viable, despite the fact it was a major keystone (which has never really been replaced) of the entire Stryker Brigade Combat Team concept.

Alternatively, the bureaucrats involved may have been far too busy with CYA to bother worrying about keeping the MGS viable, despite the fact it was a major keystone (which has never really been replaced) of the entire Stryker Brigade Combat Team concept.
Nah it the MGS had issues since day one.

It worked and was liked but...

It was missing stuff that was no brainer deals even at the time. The things had no environmental controls for the love of good, which became a major issue in Iraq and Alaska.

Then you have cuts to the recoil system to "simplify" it making the gun too much for the frame, and the lack of the addition commo gear that the other version got made them the odd unit out. And it was fitted for that shit but the units never got it.

The MGS just got screwed over.