IMPORTANT - Forum Upgrades, current Fundraising challenges

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, exciting news is that Xenforo 2.3 upgrade is now released.

I will be building a new webserver tonight and testing migration over to it in the next few days, and then inviting selected forum members to kick the tires and help check everything works as intended. I have some ideas that will hopefully save some costs due to the large volume of attachments and hence reduce the "burn rate" of the forum funds.

However, logging into Paypal I found that the forum donation fund balance is now $0, and if it wasn't for the generous donation of @GeorgeA several months back this moment would have arrived several months ago.

I used to use the "Donate" function of Paypal to raise money. This allowed users to send one-off payments or create recurring monthly donations to support the forum. Paypal have recently changed their rules, and now "Donate" is only available to official registered charities. This stopped several recurring payments that users had made.

The simplest option is to keep things as donation using Paypal, but use a "Pay Now" button. This still lets you choose the price for the hosting donation you are "buying", but I don't think you can set up a recurring payment. I think that's what I'll do for now.

For the future, I am thinking if there are other ideas worth considering, like Patreon, or paid membership options. Patreon seem to take a lot of your money, if you want to charge low amounts however.

Hi Paul, currently viewing on an old iPhone SE and can’t see a donate button. Tried the link in a previous forum running cost thread but it didn’t work. Should I use your PayPal details from a previous donation?