General Dynamics E-7

Attachments

• e7.gif
    e7.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,138
  • E-7.JPG
    E-7.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,247
It photographs of the wind tunnel model of the E-7 and outline of the operation of the power plant
(source:popular Mechanics edition Argentinean Nov. 1989)

Attachments

• E7.jpg
    E7.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 1,192
General Dynamics E3 VTOL fighter using ejector lift

Source:

D. Koenig, F. Stoll and K. Aoyagi (NASA Ames Research Center) Application of Thrusting Ejectors to Tactical Aircraft Having Vertical Lift and Short-Field Capability AIAA article 81-2629

Attachments

• GD-E3.jpg
    GD-E3.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 824
This one was called E-7,

Attachments

• NASA E-7A VTOL.jpg
    NASA E-7A VTOL.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 459
Jemiba said:
I once found this photo in the net, unfortunately I haven't
the link anymore. The E-7 seems to be based on a vectored
thrust engine .

The E-7 VTOL concept relied on a thrust deflector at the rear and Thrust Augmented Ejectors near the front.

Air was diverted from the rear of the engine to the front via a long pipe and ejected down - balancing the thrust deflected at the rear.

There are some NASA PDFs on featuring the E-7 on the web:

V/STOL and STOVL Aerodynamic Performance:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840014468_1984014468.pdf

VSTOL Concepts Past, Present and Future:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840014464_1984014464.pdf

Wave-Drag and High Speed Performance of Supersonic Fighter Configurations:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19890000646_1989000646.pdf

Looks like a lot of interesting stuff in them - I just haven't had time for more than a quick browse.

Starviking

E-7 was yet another design intended to use exhaust-driven ejectors for vstol lift. After the fiasco of the XFV-12A, following on the failure of the XV-4A (it had to be rebuilt as the XV-4B with a battery of lift jets to do any vstol ops), you'd think people would finally realize that there's a fatal disconnect as you scale up from wind tunnel to full scale.

E-2, E-3, E-4, E-5, E-6, E-7

Attachments

• GD-E-7-production.jpg
    GD-E-7-production.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 393
  • GD-E-7-demonstrator.jpg
    GD-E-7-demonstrator.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 362
  • GD-E-6.jpg
    GD-E-6.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 322
  • GD-E-5.jpg
    GD-E-5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 292
  • GD-E-4.jpg
    GD-E-4.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 327
  • GD-E-3-RR.jpg
    GD-E-3-RR.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 391
  • GD-E-3-DFE.jpg
    GD-E-3-DFE.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 361
  • GD-E-2.jpg
    GD-E-2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 359
E-7 profiles and warload.

From GD NASA contractor report:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/9840019625_1984019625.pdf

Attachments

• GD-E-7-profiles.jpg
    GD-E-7-profiles.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 533
  • GD-E-7-production-warload.jpg
    GD-E-7-production-warload.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 461
Interesting angle here. Cranked wing suggests maybe E-3/DFE?

Attachments

• E-7.jpg
    E-7.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 432
Hi,

and from Flightglobal;
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1988/1988%20-%200935.html
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1988/1988%20-%200639.html

Attachments

• E-7.JPG
    E-7.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 322
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 285
From http://ails.arc.nasa.gov

Attachments

• AC87-0372-143sm.jpg
    AC87-0372-143sm.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 1,119
  • AC89-0060sm.jpg
    AC89-0060sm.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 681
  • 77917main_AC88-0530-30.jpg
    77917main_AC88-0530-30.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 589
Interesting NASA report: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19900002435_1990002435.pdf

Here are further General Dynamics STOVL fighter designs, which may be related to the above F-16 lookalike:
There appear to be many more reports related to General Dynamics STOVL fighter designs from around the 1980 period.

Thanks for moving my post! I suspected there would be a topic on the subject already, but didn't find it.

NASA model of E-7

http://crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/Additional_Photos_for_30_X_60_Full_Scale_Tunnel:_Other_Tests#E-7A

Attachments

• L-85-5630.jpg
    L-85-5630.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 214
  • L-85-5629.jpg
    L-85-5629.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 213
  • L-85-5628.jpg
    L-85-5628.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 480
  • L-85-5627.jpg
    L-85-5627.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 530
Have these been added?? When I indexed all the pics at CRgis two months ago, I don't recall seeing these...

Hi,

was that from General dynamics E series ?.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 218
it's just very poor artist's representation by David Palmer (Salamander Books 'An illustrated Guide...' series) of one of E-series

Apparently, the E-7 design continued to be studied after Lockheed's takeover of General Dynamics.

Here is a 1995 report describing the "E-7D, an ejector-augmentor powered-lift aircraft designed by Lockheed Fort Worth Company (LFWC)", subcontracting to General Electric Aircraft
Engines (GEAE). The E-7D is said to differ from the earlier E-7A in details of the propulsion system, and having a more complex engine and a DMICS-based flight-control system.

Moving Base Simulation of an Integrated Flight and Propulsion Control System for an Ejector-Augmenter STOVL Aircraft in Hover, June 1995
NASA Technical Memorandum 108867, NASA Ames Research Center

Attachments

• E-7D three views.gif
    E-7D three views.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 295
  • E-7D arrangement of propulsive nozzles and RCS nozzles.gif
    E-7D arrangement of propulsive nozzles and RCS nozzles.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 327

I just read this post. That appears to me to be a modified F-16XL converted into a demonstrator for the program, rather than building an entirely new airframe.

Jemiba said:
I once found this photo in the net, unfortunately I haven't
the link anymore. The E-7 seems to be based on a vectored
thrust engine .

The E-7 VTOL concept relied on a thrust deflector at the rear and Thrust Augmented Ejectors near the front.

Air was diverted from the rear of the engine to the front via a long pipe and ejected down - balancing the thrust deflected at the rear.

There are some NASA PDFs on featuring the E-7 on the web:

V/STOL and STOVL Aerodynamic Performance:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840014468_1984014468.pdf

VSTOL Concepts Past, Present and Future:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19840014464_1984014464.pdf

Wave-Drag and High Speed Performance of Supersonic Fighter Configurations:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19890000646_1989000646.pdf

Looks like a lot of interesting stuff in them - I just haven't had time for more than a quick browse.

Starviking
Somewhat surprised in the past present document, they describe the AV8B, the key feature(to me) is the front nozzles are cold, the rear are hot - doesn't get a mention.

If your job is to summarise different ideas that seems worth mentioning.

This E7 routing hot air forward then down, seems like a lot of work, those ducts look draggy. Appreciate it was POC.

I

I just read this post. That appears to me to be a modified F-16XL converted into a demonstrator for the program, rather than building an entirely new airframe.
Yes seems to be a vestigial feature from the F-16E/"SCAMP" and later the "XL". The E-7A routed cool fan air forwards to the wing root ejectors, while the E-7D used a mixed flow (cool bypass air and hot core air) for the same effect.. nothing. Claims that the ejector could increase the fan flow by 50% seem (I say hesitantly) - overblown.. Sounds too much like a repetition ofthe failings of the XV-12A. The magical "entrainment" effect and getting more from less scuttled many concepts, particulary the Avro Canada efforts of the 1950-60. Even so, a very interesting concept if it could work.

Last edited:
Nice find Hesham! Thanks. All the pictures I have seen of the E-7 have never shown wing twist.
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but what I have found is:

- E-7A: Part of US/Canadian ejector program. With Rolls-Royce "Spey" engine (possibly RB-168-25R Mk-202/3).
- E-7B: Part of US/Canadian ejector program. With General Electric F110 engine. Aft fan nozzle deleted.
- E-7C: Mixed fan and core engine air flow. Axisymmetric gimballed core stream nozzle directly aft of vectoring lift nozzle.
- E-7D: Mixed fan and core engine air flow. 2 dimensional, convergent-divergent vectoring aft nozzle directly aft of vectoring lift nozzle.

Of course these were all just proposed static research examples.

Last edited:
... E-7A: Part of US/Canadian ejector program. With Rolls-Royce "Spey" engine (possibly RB-168-25R Mk-202/3)...

Under the US/Canada Focused Ejector Technology Program, the de Havilland division of Boeing Canada built a full-scale wind tunnel model of the E-7A. As you say, it was that model which had powered generated by "a Rolls-Royce 'Spey' engine obtained from a previous research program."*

So, the Spey was something that NASA had in stock. Rather than ex-RAF Phantom engines, the powerplant would more likely be the Spey MK 801-SF (Split Flow) - a Spey Mk 611 previously modified by Rolls-Royce (Canada) for NASA's AWJSRA (V/STOL Buffalo) programme. Removing that engine's transition section, colander-plate connector, and bifurcated Pegasus Mk.5 nozzles wouldn't have been difficult.

BTW: the plan for the full-scale powered wind tunnel model was to return it to DHC for a rebuild into a Phase II configuration with an F110 replacing the Spey and a 2D-CD nozzle to represent the E-7D rather than an E-7A.

* Configuration E-7 Supersonic Fighter/Attack Technology Program, John E. Jenista & David S. Bodden, General Dynamics Fort Worth Division, 1988, page 3

... E-7A: Part of US/Canadian ejector program. With Rolls-Royce "Spey" engine (possibly RB-168-25R Mk-202/3)...

Under the US/Canada Focused Ejector Technology Program, the de Havilland division of Boeing Canada built a full-scale wind tunnel model of the E-7A. As you say, it was that model which had powered generated by "a Rolls-Royce 'Spey' engine obtained from a previous research program."*

So, the Spey was something that NASA had in stock. Rather than ex-RAF Phantom engines, the powerplant would more likely be the Spey MK 801-SF (Split Flow) - a Spey Mk 611 previously modified by Rolls-Royce (Canada) for NASA's AWJSRA (V/STOL Buffalo) programme. Removing that engine's transition section, colander-plate connector, and bifurcated Pegasus Mk.5 nozzles wouldn't have been difficult.

BTW: the plan for the full-scale powered wind tunnel model was to return it to DHC for a rebuild into a Phase II configuration with an F110 replacing the Spey and a 2D-CD nozzle to represent the E-7D rather than an E-7A.

* Configuration E-7 Supersonic Fighter/Attack Technology Program, John E. Jenista & David S. Bodden, General Dynamics Fort Worth Division, 1988, page 3
Thanks for clarifying Apophenia.
I wasn't sure about the "Spey" model, but i've concluded that either way the rolls-royce rig wold need modding..
just found it (RR Spey 801-SF) here:

Last edited:
E-7 was yet another design intended to use exhaust-driven ejectors for vstol lift. After the fiasco of the XFV-12A, following on the failure of the XV-4A (it had to be rebuilt as the XV-4B with a battery of lift jets to do any vstol ops), you'd think people would finally realize that there's a fatal disconnect as you scale up from wind tunnel to full scale.
Pardon the ancient response, but I suspect that a lot of the failure with the XFV-12 augmentors was the rough interior of the pipes. For cost reasons the insides of the pipes weren't cleaned up, when the part of the pipes that needed to be smooth to not reduce airflow was the interior, not the exterior!

I get that the prototype was built on the super cheap, but having the thing fail possibly because the builder cheaped out in the wrong place just annoys me to no end.

Pardon the ancient response, but I suspect that a lot of the failure with the XFV-12 augmentors was the rough interior of the pipes. For cost reasons the insides of the pipes weren't cleaned up, when the part of the pipes that needed to be smooth to not reduce airflow was the interior, not the exterior!

I get that the prototype was built on the super cheap, but having the thing fail possibly because the builder cheaped out in the wrong place just annoys me to no end.
Do you have any references? Or is this pure speculation?