Forum Feedback

Since the outbreak of war between the Russian Federation and Ukraine the forum has been suffering a degree of subordination to it.
One of the effects is loosing the differentiation between project, development and operational categories.

The core sections are for projects that never progressed to operational status (projects and developments) or, at the date of posting are either in project or development.
Operational hardware goes always outside the core sections: aerospace/military/bar

Thus hardware deployed in Ruso-Ukraine war should be outside the core sections.

To enjoy a performant forum it's capital to keep it organised. This is a responsibility should be considered before every post.

I have a technical question. Is there a buton that removes formatting of the text in the editing box in the bottom of each thread’s page? I can’t find it. Sometimes, when pasting text from other sources, the formatting goes nuts and it’s difficult to keep control over it.

Last edited:
When pasting text in Chrome, the easiest starting point is using right click - "paste as plain text". This gets rid of all formatting from the source.

If you want to try to fix up formatting, press the [ ] button and it will show the BBCODE markup of the page. You can delete tags you don't want. You will need a basic understanding of BBCODE though.

Another day, another half dozen of older posts deleted related to French made hardware.
And as usual, any indication of what is being deleted is absent: no post contents, not even the reference.

Do you guys realize how utterly arbitrary this sounds?
In this case, some old offtopic posts were removed. Why do you care so much?

Removed posts were either:

Actively bad, in which case you may well get a warning of some kind or

Offtopic, and not worth preserving by moving to a different topic.

In the second case, it would be easier on moderators to not notify people, but then you'd get snippy about not being notified.

The forum has always been presented as a combination of discussion and database of information. If your off-topic or joke post from 6 months ago is removed from the forum, that's just the natural process of cleaning up.

Last edited:
To get back to Forum Software Feedback - I would like to adjust a couple of settings on my account (add another page to the two only that are displayed when I click on "what's new", etc) - but nothing happens when I click on it.

The word "settings" is in a larger font than all of the other items listed on the left side of my "Account Details" page, and all of the others work.

When several posts in a thread are deleted in one step, there‘s only one comment possible. And in the latest case of in the Exocet thread, nine posts from May 25th, reported today, I wrote, that they were deleted, because being OT, as the thread is about the development of the Exocet, and not about its potential delivery to and use by Ukraine.
Sorry, when it didn‘t got through…

Would it be an idea to have a ‘bin’ or holding forum for posts that would normally be just deleted?

Users could still see the posts, there’d be some idea of why they ended up in the bin/holder, and after a set period of time these messages could be deleted.

When several posts in a thread are deleted in one step, there‘s only one comment possible. And in the latest case of in the Exocet thread, nine posts from May 25th, reported today, I wrote, that they were deleted, because being OT, as the thread is about the development of the Exocet, and not about its potential delivery to and use by Ukraine.
Do you realize that we can´t have this discussion while the content of those post flagged, as it seems, by an individual, are unknown to us all. I also very much doubt that the content I wrote ranks in the category of being political or inappropriate.

Then having a discussion around the possible usage of Exocet as fitted on a fighter jet that would ultimately be the object of a handover to Ukraine is highly not OT or irrelevant to a news thread.

You are mixing up two threads, but I'm sure, you know ...

- The posts in the „Exocet Missile Developments“ thread (not only from you) were deleted, because they were about potential delivery and use by the Ukraine. That has nothing to do with its development.

- And the posts in the „Dassault Rafale NEWS ONLY“ thread were deleted, because they weren‘t only news, but comments…

No I don´t know and I would appreciate you are not portraying me with this kind of negative image.

The "Exocet Missile Developments" topic is in "Secret Missile, Bomb and Gun Projects" and is intended for discussion of projects of Exocet derivatives, launchers etc. To fit this section, these should be unbuilt projects or prototypes.

You would need an Exocet topic in "Military" section for discussion of Exocet usage. I don't think that exists currently.

Do you realize that we can´t have this discussion while the content of those post flagged, as it seems, by an individual, are unknown to us all. I also very much doubt that the content I wrote ranks in the category of being political or inappropriate.

Then having a discussion around the possible usage of Exocet as fitted on a fighter jet that would ultimately be the object of a handover to Ukraine is highly not OT or irrelevant to a news thread.
These posts were

1) Two years old
2) In the wrong topic

I have moved them to an operational use topic on Exocet along with half the posts from the Exocet topic which had been thoroughly hijacked from its original topic.

Thank you for the explanation.
If I may suggest, just including "nine posts from May 25th, reported today, they were deleted, because being OT" would have clearly explained what the deletions was about. Maybe I'm sensitive, but being caught in a collective cleanup feels much different than subjected to individual censoring.

And btw I agree than periodic cleanup is important. It could also include all the off-color "jokes" along with the off-topic.
That permanent drizzle of off-color does much worse damage to the quality of SPF as a reference than anything else, IMO.

And, lest we forget, thanks to all for this endless work!

Thank you for the explanation.
If I may suggest, just including "nine posts from May 25th, reported today, they were deleted, because being OT" would have clearly explained what the deletions was about. …

Seems to be a good idea, will try it next time

I don't understand what you mean by "no way to display more than 2 pages of posts"
When I select "new posts" it only puts up two pages of thread titles.

If I miss a day or two of looking at the forum, then threads which have had new posts since my last visit exceed two pages - but I still can only access the first two pages. No option to check further back is available, even though there are threads with new posts on a third (or fourth, etc) page.

See the part I outlined in red:

Untitled.jpg