Not the first time Arianespace/ESA calls a dubious demonstration launch a success, 2nd ariane 5/ 502 famously undershot the GTO orbit (with dummy satellites, although with some real experiments on them) by 10,000 km, but was considered as a success for qualification purposes anyway. Arianespace and CNES and ESA didn't acknowledge it as a a failure, CNES called it "a success despite a few anomalies", and it was widely reported as such (I remember seeing some Aviation Week issue calling it a success)

The investigation, and return to flight program after the "failure" were relatively cheap (a couple dozen millions €, vs a few hundred millions for 501, and over half a billion for 517), and since the next launch (ARD) wasn't a commercial one they probably shrugged it

At the end of the day it's a qualification launch and not a commercial/operational launch, so the criteria for success can be different, objectively it was a succesful launch of all the orbital payloads, which was probably enough to start the operational life of the launcher.

Ariane 5 first six years were pretty miserable... only from 2004 did it matured for good. Failures in 96 97 July 2001 and 12/2002. The latter a major setback, first ESC-A gone wrong. Rosetta had to find itself a new comet.

There are reports it has been passivated, i.e. all propellants have been vented. It won't have attitude control after that.

The reason why I was asking is if it still had positive attitude-control then then the second-stage could've been oriented engine first so that the propellants could then be vented through the rocket-motor dropping its' apogee a bit to reduce orbit lifetime.

Stretching it for them to call this success when they’ve left a 2 tonne upper stage plus the stuff still attached to it in a 580KM to re-enter in an uncontrolled way at some unspecified later date.

As opposed to Chinese launchers which have no controlled reentry capability at all? They made a choice to omit disposal entirely due to the hit on payload capacity a controlled re-entry entails.

Last edited:
The reason why I was asking is if it still had positive attitude-control then then the second-stage could've been oriented engine first so that the propellants could then be vented through the rocket-motor dropping its' apogee a bit to reduce orbit lifetime.
Tank venting is not always done through the engines.

I'm aware that some venting is done non-propulsively, what I was referring to is if the second-stage still had positive attitude-control then it could've been reoriented engine first. So that if the remaining LOX and LH2 were vented through the engine it would produce some retrograde thrust to lower the orbit thereby reducing the lifetime of the orbit.

I'm aware that some venting is done non-propulsively, what I was referring to is if the second-stage still had positive attitude-control then it could've been reoriented engine first. So that if the remaining LOX and LH2 were vented through the engine it would produce some retrograde thrust to lower the orbit thereby reducing the lifetime of the orbit.
Not done, meaning can't be done. Some vehicles are not set up to vent through the engines.
Plus, launch vehicles are autonomous and can't be commanded. Standard process is to try a second time to ignite the engines, failing that the stage is passivated. If the stage could vent through the engines, it would not be done in a contingency since the impulse would be unknown and risk putting the stage in a worse state.

View: https://twitter.com/esa/status/1811376976919232828

Europe’s new #Ariane6 rocket powered into space on 9 July 2024 from its launch pad in French Guiana. Check out our launch highlights video!
https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Videos/2024/07/Ariane_6_first_flight_highlights

I so wish that Ariane 6 could share information about the deorbit burn

View: https://twitter.com/esa/status/1811378512642670833

More info will follow as soon as the teams have collected and analysed their data.

Scott Manley has just put out a video about the first Ariane 6 flight:

Arianespace had expected Ariane 6 to begin flying in 2020, allowing a few years for launches to transition to the new rocket. Not only was this late for all sorts of project management reasons, but Europe lost access to the Soyuz launcher and had problems with Vega-C.So even though the second stage had some problems Europe is no doubt happy to have made this launch happen.

It would appear that customers scheduled to launch satellites on the Ariane 6 are switching to the Falcon 9, from the Space Bucket:

Only days ago the Ariane 6 rocket lifted off for the first time ever. With this vehicle now ready, Europe again has access to its own heavy-lift launch vehicle. However, in one very recent instance, a company set to launch its payload on the Ariane 6’s 3rd flight, made the decision to instead launch with SpaceX and the Falcon 9.
While this is just a single example, a few officials at various European agencies have expressed their disappointment and confusion with the decision. Here I will go more in-depth into the change in launch providers, the competition between the two, the future flight manifest, and more.
Chapters:
0:00 - Intro
0:31 - Losing Customers
4:44 - Ariane 6's Future

seems Europa has Rocket, but not european customers for it
(video removed do dubble posting)

Last edited:
That is sad for Europa Michel Van, pity it is not the Ariane 6 but that arrived too late.

Echt Jetzt ?
The European Space Agency has awarded Arianespace a contract
to explore potential options for enabling crewed missions to be launched aboard the Ariane 6 rocket.
to launch what ?
The ESA Minister council always refuse budget for ESA manned spacecraft since 1992.

Source

Ariane 6’s backlog - 29 launches - is fine, truly, but it’s also not sustainable, the 18 launches Kuiper contract is almost certainly going to be a one off since by the time it’s honoured, Blue Origin will have its quasi-super heavy New Glenn launch regularly, and Arianespace has been regularly losing GTO/GSO contracts (Its historical mainstay) which have been replaced with institutional contract.

At least the Kuiper launches convinced ESA to fund the Upgraded Block 2 version, whose capabilities will probably be useful for ESA’s lunar and interplanetary missions.

Last edited:
Echt Jetzt ?

to launch what ?
The ESA Minister council always refuse budget for ESA manned spacecraft since 1992.

Source
I suppose that they show a generic-looking shroud over a capsule to avoid prejudging any outcome.

SUSIE has been illustrated atop an Ariane 64 and a hypothetical reusable follow-on.

This is the most recent news I've seen. Does anyone know any more?

Attachments

• Fc8ztQVakAIvNIz.jpg
    Fc8ztQVakAIvNIz.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 4

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom