Detection of Submarines

Chinese researchers find novel method to track US submarines

"Researcher Zou Shengnan and her team were looking at the possibility of detecting almost imperceptible bubbles made by the submarine as it cruises through water and has now successfully generated a computer model to demonstrate that it could potentially work.

Submarines cannot avoid these bubbles as their motion causes the water around the hull to move faster, reducing its potential energy. The potential energy is expressed as pressure and as it decreases, some of the water vaporizes to maintain the energy equilibrium.

This process occurs more in areas of sharp curvature or where the surface is rough, and as water flows around the hull, the bubbles get bigger and move away from the surface. Here the higher pressure causes them to collapse violently, resulting in an electromagnetic signature, a phenomenon known as the magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) effect."

See:

How the Navy Tried to Turn Bioluminescence Against the Soviets

"For decades, during the Cold War, both the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. had a military interest in bioluminescent organisms, which use a chemical reaction to produce a brief glow when they’re stimulated. The light of tiny ocean creatures had revealed on occasion the locations of submarines in World War I, and both militaries imagined that they might be able to use this natural phenomenon more systematically in anti-submarine warfare."

See:

&

Chinese researchers find novel method to track US submarines

"Researcher Zou Shengnan and her team were looking at the possibility of detecting almost imperceptible bubbles made by the submarine as it cruises through water and has now successfully generated a computer model to demonstrate that it could potentially work.

Submarines cannot avoid these bubbles as their motion causes the water around the hull to move faster, reducing its potential energy. The potential energy is expressed as pressure and as it decreases, some of the water vaporizes to maintain the energy equilibrium.

This process occurs more in areas of sharp curvature or where the surface is rough, and as water flows around the hull, the bubbles get bigger and move away from the surface. Here the higher pressure causes them to collapse violently, resulting in an electromagnetic signature, a phenomenon known as the magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) effect."

See:

Tiny bubbles, In the wine
Make me happy, Make me feel fine
Tiny bubbles, Make me warm all over

Back
Top Bottom