To be fair, as of now, it looks like a pure US propaganda idea - sorta like biolabs in Ukraine, but with nothing even remotely similar to evidence.
Hope you're right but I can't see the purpose of such propaganda, whereas the purpose with the biolabs scam was obvious.

Last edited:
I suspect it is absolutely true. It actually is a logical capability for the Russians to employ (so long as such a system is kept on the ground previous to any conflict). The U.S. is about to swamp LEO with new communications, tracking, and remote sensing satellites. NRO is rumored to have a half dozen launches of a new Starshield produced system starting in a few weeks with NROL 146. SDA has nearly two hundred satellites set to launch on ten scheduled launches inside a little over a year from now, with two hundred more satellites already on order from a half a dozen different contractors. Russia cannot hope to have anything like the ISR and communication capability the U.S. has even now, let alone in several years. Destroying an entire orbital regime with a nuke gives them an escalation step short of using a nuke on a NATO nation’s territory to target an asymmetric capability they will never achieve. It creates a new rung on the escalation ladder for Russia.

I suspect it is absolutely true. It actually is a logical capability for the Russians to employ (so long as such a system is kept on the ground previous to any conflict). The U.S. is about to swamp LEO with new communications, tracking, and remote sensing satellites. NRO is rumored to have a half dozen launches of a new Starshield produced system starting in a few weeks with NROL 146. SDA has nearly two hundred satellites set to launch on ten scheduled launches inside a little over a year from now, with two hundred more satellites already on order from a half a dozen different contractors. Russia cannot hope to have anything like the ISR and communication capability the U.S. has even now, let alone in several years. Destroying an entire orbital regime with a nuke gives them an escalation step short of using a nuke on a NATO nation’s territory to target an asymmetric capability they will never achieve. It creates a new rung on the escalation ladder for Russia.
Only furthers the need for a space-based DEW for boost-phase intercepts to protect the space layer, and destroy any nukes that are sent up there.

Hope you're right but I can't see the purpose of such propaganda, whereas the purpose with the biolabs scam was obvious.

At the current state of affairs, Russia and the US will oppose each other in the UNSC even when the other side will submit a resolution against eating babies. Not because either plans eating them*, but because the other guy submitted it.

*and both will immediately commission research into the hidden effects of it; maybe the opponent is up to something! of course, neither will say anything about that to their diplomats.

In this case, strongest argument for me personally is that as a weapon system it doesn't make any sense.
Like, no one managed to come up with any coherent argumentation why (illegally)placing nukes into belts is better than just launching an (absolutely legal)uninterceptable direct ascent vehicle.

Any ICBM will easily deliver a multi-MT warhead up to 1k km, and if we're content with current warheads - Russia can tickle radiation belts right now, within minutes from launch authorization from Mr. Putin.

No need to develop a radhard heavy hydrogen "orbital mine" for that... and while modern Russia has a mild wunderwaffen syndrome, until now those all made some practical sense upfront.

I think shooting down other countries’s space missions is not going to an acceptable solution, and also one of the biggest problems likely will be positively identifying what objects harbor nuclear weapons. I think it would require a network of satellites with a hefty capacity to charge orbital plains, inspect/detect radiological payloads, and non kinetically disable an opponent satellite hosting one. I’m not sure what form that would take, maybe a gama ray detector and HPM emitter? Most objects are hardened for various forms of radiation and there are gama ray burst from stellar objects so I do not know if those mechanisms would be effective in orbit.

In this case, strongest argument for me personally is that as a weapon system it doesn't make any sense.
Like, no one managed to come up with any coherent argumentation why (illegally)placing nukes into belts is better than just launching an (absolutely legal)uninterceptable direct ascent vehicle.

Any ICBM will easily deliver a multi-MT warhead up to 1k km, and if we're content with current warheads - Russia can tickle radiation belts right now, within minutes from launch authorization from Mr. Putin.

No need to develop a radhard heavy hydrogen "orbital mine" for that... and while modern Russia has a mild wunderwaffen syndrome, until now those all made some practical sense upfront.

This is a good point that I have been thinking about. There are several reasons I can think of, no one of them absolutely convincing. First, launching a civilian rocket would be far less likely to provoke a nuclear or even conventional response. Second, placing such an object in orbit but not immediately detonating it might be see as a desirable escalation rung in a conflict. Third, such a deployment could be clandestine and deniable - the U.S. may know such a payload is in orbit, but would have little way of convincingly proving that on the world stage. So any attempt to engage said satellite can be spun as the U.S. militarizing space and initiating a conflict.

At the current state of affairs, Russia and the US will oppose each other in the UNSC even when the other side will submit a resolution against eating babies. Not because either plans eating them*, but because the other guy submitted it.
How about a resolution against kidnapping them?
Because it gives immediate effect with no warning and could be detonated above another country, causing electrical problems on the ground. May even be something else, like a Casaba howitzer masquerading as a ASAT device. Why would you need a dedicated DA ASAT missile just to bust a nuke in space.

Exactly, so what are they developing?

This is a good point that I have been thinking about. There are several reasons I can think of, no one of them absolutely convincing. First, launching a civilian rocket would be far less likely to provoke a nuclear or even conventional response. Second, placing such an object in orbit but not immediately detonating it might be see as a desirable escalation rung in a conflict. Third, such a deployment could be clandestine and deniable - the U.S. may know such a payload is in orbit, but would have little way of convincingly proving that on the world stage. So any attempt to engage said satellite can be spun as the U.S. militarizing space and initiating a conflict.
Ask for an inspection by IAEA. If it's refused it gets shot down.

I like the theory I saw on twitter: it's not a weapon, but a test vehicle for the weapon, where they are putting test electronics/nuclear material in component form into the belts to see what happens. It's an escalation, but not actually a weapon.

I like the theory I saw on twitter: it's not a weapon, but a test vehicle for the weapon, where they are putting test electronics/nuclear material in component form into the belts to see what happens. It's an escalation, but not actually a weapon.

There is a current satellite that is apparently operating in a unique orbit that is suspected of being a test bed for a future system, but the U.S. has been pretty adamant that a nuclear ASAT is currently an undeployed capability. We do not however know what information these assessments are based on.

I see lots of people saying crazy ruskies or whatever. My question is this. If our leaders are right, what are we doing to spook Russian leadership so badly? Instead of assuming Russian leaders are crazy, maybe we should try to see what tit for tat games are being played by Russia, China, and us? If Russia felt compelled to put something this serious in orbit, it would not happen in a bubble.

Then it turns into whether you think American power cliques are evil hypocrite hegemons or you think Russia is full of corrupted elitist and out of touch oligarchs. Or you could realize it is all of the above and all one can do is watch in quiet desperation.

I think the problem for Russia is that the U.S. is about to orbit a brand new space architecture that gives it a huge information overmatch, on top of its existing superior ISR and communication capabilities. The U.S. has launches for ~200 Tracking and Transport layer satellites in the next ~15 months on the books, and the NRO likely will add 100-200 of its Starshield based platforms in the same timeframe. The capability that brings, along with the resilience of such a large constellation, required an asymmetrical response.

Honestly, just the existence of Starlink probably was enough to motivate some kind of counter to LEO mega constellations. There have been opinion pieces in Chinese military outlets that stated the PRC needed a mechanism to destroy that network as well.

The purpose is quite obvious; US military wanted to extend its military space capabilities while they have significant launch advantages, but as usual wanted to pretend "we are just responding on the other guy doing it, honestly". US government would most likely heistate to make a first step in such escalatory and unpredictable area, so US military set the situation in such way that they would not be acting, but reacting.

Of course you realize, that any other space-capable nation would then be able to demand inspection of any USA military satellite, claiming that it MAY be carrying WMD, and if USA would refuse such inspection for any reason - then this satellite would be de-jure legal target?

(I hope that you realize that, of course. Americans tended to struggle with the notion that they aren't ubermench destined to rule the world)

The purpose is quite obvious; US military wanted to extend its military space capabilities while they have significant launch advantages, but as usual wanted to pretend "we are just responding on the other guy doing it, honestly". US government would most likely heistate to make a first step in such escalatory and unpredictable area, so US military set the situation in such way that they would not be acting, but reacting.

I do not see how the claims of a Russian nuclear system, real or imagined, would be necessary to justify US communication and ISR satellites. Furthermore if any justification was required, the PRC launching 200 military satellites in 2022-2023 is probably a more concrete, verifiable claim with a lot more justification for a U.S. response.

And Keyhole or something similarly expensive gets shot down in return on its very next overflight.
Hold your horses - if you want to start a space shooting war with possible earthly continuation, there are more advantageous ways of doing that compared to shooting down *something*.

I see lots of people saying crazy ruskies or whatever. My question is this. If our leaders are right, what are we doing to spook Russian leadership so badly? Instead of assuming Russian leaders are crazy, maybe we should try to see what tit for tat games are being played by Russia, China, and us? If Russia felt compelled to put something this serious in orbit, it would not happen in a bubble.

Then it turns into whether you think American power cliques are evil hypocrite hegemons or you think Russia is full of corrupted elitist and out of touch oligarchs. Or you could realize it is all of the above and all one can do is watch in quiet desperation.
Is it really hard for people? The Russians are mad at us because we're conducting a cost-effective proxy war in Ukraine, and our general history of dislking each other!

The expansion in satellites is because 1) the "pivot-to-the-pacific" requires over-the-horizon targeting data and 2) the US recognizes we have a significant asymmetric advantage in low-cost-to-orbit thanks to spacex.

The Russians look at this see "holy shit NATO could absolutely wreck our now-decimated army with this" and thus pursue an asymmetric counter-space capability, in their attempt to preserve "deterrence".

Last edited:
There is a current satellite that is apparently operating in a unique orbit that is suspected of being a test bed for a future system, but the U.S. has been pretty adamant that a nuclear ASAT is currently an undeployed capability. We do not however know what information these assessments are based on.
I think you and I are in violent agreement. I suspect the assessments are good - it's people spinning the facts into whatever narrative they want.

My read is that this stuff screams people playing politics. The administration is saying "nothing to see here, please disperse" about a new significant effort while reporting the truth to the congressional committees who are then leaking this stuff like sieve, which the think-tanks then parallel-reconstruct quite-accurately so their funders can say "weak administration is letting our adversaries ahead!"

A permanent on-orbit nuclear space mine is a bit over the top though. It would not affect many satellites, it would be immensely vulnerable to Starshield for a single use, and it would require numerous rocket launches to achieve meaningful orbital coverage against a ABM system.

OTOH a DEW microwave jammer satellite powered by a nuclear reactor would make sense, and be in line with the nuclear US-A and US-P satellites of the 1970's, as well as something that Russia has been vaguely working towards anyway.

Both are possible and likely, as the journalists may simply be conflating two similar programs, which would explain media confusion.

I see lots of people saying crazy ruskies or whatever. My question is this. If our leaders are right, what are we doing to spook Russian leadership so badly?

It's complicated because it requires talking about a dinner table conversation that happened in 1990 between Gorbachev and Bush...

1714858344884.png

This is a relevant map.

The short of it is, RuMOD fears a Third Patriotic War and America has done little to alleviate this. This, coming hot off the heels of the relatively peaceful, dentente focused 1980's between Reagan and Gorbachev, is the crux of the issue. I had a whole spiel here but this isn't really the forum for such things.

Suffice to say when "the West"/United States screams about "red lines" and "rules-based international order", it's an act. The Dept. of State (and explicitly it tbh) is really just screaming that people are doing what America has done to weaker countries for the past 30 years since the end of the Cold War and being a crybully about it.

If Russia felt compelled to put something this serious in orbit, it would not happen in a bubble.

The most serious discussions I've read is "nuclear powered death bomb" is some bizarre game of telephone describing a Arsenal Design Bureau developed anti-satellite...satellite, incorporating a high powered microwave emitter and a nuclear reactor on some Russian bus. It flies up to a Starlink, zaps it, and moves onto the next target, zapping them in succession with a high energy radar. It also has a nuclear power plant because nothing else is decent.

Ekipazh may be the actual system goal, and Cosmos-2553 might just be a test of some sort of subcomponent, like the SDI neutral particle beam compared to BEAR. A nuclear space mine might be on the menu, but it would be kept in a silo, and is less important than a maneuvering reuseable system against a large LEO constellation.

The mine would also be nothing new considering the first U.S. anti-satellite systems were Thor and Nike Zeus with nuclear warheads.

Starlink is a very hard system by virtue of being big. The amount of atom bombs you'd need to disable it is mind boggling (and the speed SpaceX could simply replace them is equally mind boggling). A few bag equivalents of sand and ball bearings to induce Kessler syndrome in specific orbital bands would be more useful honestly.

But somehow I doubt that RuMOD are looking to persistently deny LEO, just temporarily make breaks in coverage that can be leveraged for battlefield success, or for orbital injection of nuclear RVs through an ABM shield, and that sort of thing. A moving HPM would do this.

Last edited:
TEM could be one hell of an NEP space tug…which is why I doubt Putin would support it.

Being KGB, he may have had no love of anything orbit related, outside of FOBS.

Except for the EMP effects on earth... See also Starfish Prime.

TEM could be one hell of an NEP space tug…which is why I doubt Putin would support it.

Being KGB, he may have had no love of anything orbit related, outside of FOBS.

...what?

I don't think a REC platform designed to fry satellites with high energy microwaves is a "space tug" but it may have originated as one.

The nuclear powerplant is probably just to generate the megawatt class HPM pulses needed to kill satellite electronics. Modern electronics are "ultra hard", compared to 1980's ones, especially against X-rays. NASA shot a old Intel Nehalem architecture CPU back in 2008 with a X-ray gun for several weeks and nothing happened besides a temperature sensor stopped working.

Because of that, it's doubtful any nuclear explosion in space would do much against a Starlink satellite tbh, and this hardness of modern microelectronics is another mark against the idea of the "space mine". An HPM is an active weapon system, in Europe and America, and has the proven capacity to zap modern nanometer-scale electronics though.

The other alternative is a neutral particle beam, which is likely beyond Russia's economic capacities, as it is beyond America's too.

These are the only real options for confronting a Starlink-type constellation, besides an order of magnitude increase in operational ICBMs and nuclear warheads, which ain't happening.

Last edited:
And Keyhole or something similarly expensive gets shot down in return on its very next overflight.
Hold your horses - if you want to start a space shooting war with possible earthly continuation, there are more advantageous ways of doing that compared to shooting down *something*.
Then the tit for tat continues with Russia forces in Ukraine in a very vulnerable position, with a strike easily justified under international law even without the shootdown. A nuke in space isn't going to be allowed regardless of the knock-on consequences, Russia needs to be aware of that before it escalates.

Of course you realize, that any other space-capable nation would then be able to demand inspection of any USA military satellite, claiming that it MAY be carrying WMD, and if USA would refuse such inspection for any reason - then this satellite would be de-jure legal target?
A closely supervised purely radiological inspection is fine as long as then pay for it.

(I hope that you realize that, of course. Americans tended to struggle with the notion that they aren't ubermench destined to rule the world)
I hope you realise that it's Russia breaking International Law (1967 Outer Space Treaty), that even the Soviets were willing to adhere to.

Space capabilities (surveillance and tracking) were expanding long before the accusation of a nuke in space was, and it was no secret, nor was it illegal.

I see lots of people saying crazy ruskies or whatever. My question is this. If our leaders are right, what are we doing to spook Russian leadership so badly?
Not agreeing to their annexation of Ukraine and because Russia can't keep up with the space technology of their adversaries because their economy is crap (hence why Ukraine wants away from them) and they're spending what money they do have on war in Ukraine.

Last edited:
Not agreeing to their annexation of Ukraine and because Russia can't keep up with the space technology of their adversaries because their economy is crap (hence why Ukraine wants away from them) and they're spending what money they do have on war in Ukraine.
May I suggest you do not talk about matters you have absolutely zero idea of? Our economy may not be in best shape, but there is a significant increase in real production, prices for consumers are generally stable and stores are filled with goods. Seriously, you, Americans, seems to lack even elementary reistance to your own propaganda.

A closely supervised purely radiological inspection is fine as long as then pay for it.
Yeah, and what it would say about possible bioweapon onboard? Or chemical weapon? Nothing.

I hope you realise that it's Russia breaking International Law (1967 Outer Space Treaty), that even the Soviets were willing to adhere to.
You clearly do not realize, that blabbering of American military is NOT a proof of violation?

May I suggest you do not talk about matters you have absolutely zero idea of? Our economy may not be in best shape, but there is a significant increase in real production
Yeah, because you're replacing all the equipment destroyed in Ukraine. Producing stuff to blow up and get destroyed still counts as GDP, but it's not exactly beneficial wrt revenue.

prices for consumers are generally stable and stores are filled with goods. Seriously, you, Americans, seems to lack even elementary reistance to your own propaganda.
Lots of empty pages in Russia's financial accounting. If a FTSE 100 or S&P 500 company released books like that, nobody would invest in them.

Yeah, and what it would say about possible bioweapon onboard? Or chemical weapon? Nothing.
Biological weapon on a space asset? What for, giving other satellites AIDS? :D Now who has zero resistance to their own propaganda?:D

You clearly do not realize, that blabbering of American military is NOT a proof of violation?
So why veto an a simple confirmation of the 1967 Outer Space Treater?

I see the scrabbling for crap excuses has began already.

Yeah, because you're replacing all the equipment destroyed in Ukraine. Producing stuff to blow up and get destroyed still counts as GDP, but it's not exactly beneficial wrt revenue.
No, because industrial sector is increasing due to A - lack of competitors (yeah, sanctions), and B - government willing to give money to industry.

Lots of empty pages in Russia's financial accounting. If a FTSE 100 or S&P 500 company released books like that, nobody would invest in them
Which indicates the simple truth; modern financial theory is hopelessly distant from economical practice.

That map isn't even slightly up to date. Where are all the Wagner bases in Africa (Libya, Mali, Niger, Burkino Faso, CAR etc.)? Spy base in Cuba? Nicaragua base also not noted.

The point is no one cares about those because they don't literally surround Russia with potential JSF stealth bombers and their nuclear weapons, which is the point I was making. RuMOD sees this little spat Russia has with the U.S. State Department (literally no one else cares besides them and the Treasury) as a Barbarossa-by-stealth.

It'd probably be true if the DOS could think that far ahead, but it's mostly just being a vindictive gadfly, because of complicated reasons...

Russia is agitated because, since about 2007 which is when Putin finally figured out how America works, he is deathly afraid America will turn Russia into its next international relations thesis project. If Iraq was an attempt to bring democracy by B-52, Russia may be an attempt to bring democracy by B61, and this is why the Strategic Rocket Forces have been successively winning in every major procurement round since Putin started running Russia.

The starting point for the tit-for-tat of the present situation is 1990, 1993, or 1997, because that is when America either promised something, changed the deal to an emasculated Yeltsin, or broke that promise outright, and all when Russia was too weak to do anything besides acquiesce. Which timeframe you get depends on who you ask and whether they work for the Russian government or the U.S. State Department.

The U.S. State Department would say that it never violated the letter of the informal agreements because Warren Christopher wanted to be "cool" like George Kennan and figured nuking Russian relations would make him (finally) "cool", while Gorbachev would say America violated the spirit of the agreements, because Gorbachev is sad he got couped by Yeltsin or something, and the main disagreement is if the "spirit" or "letter" of the agreement was most important.

Since all the above people mentioned are dead we'll never get their words on the subject again, but that's the start of it.

Ironically, DOD wanted to incorporate Russia into multinational planning at the time, but SECDEF Perry was overruled by SECSTATE Christopher, because the DOS has a hate boner for slapping Russia around and everyone in America who wants to appear smart (but is actually incompetent) looks at the DOS as a paragon organization.

If SECDEF Perry's preference for trying to integrate Russia into NATO planning apparatus (and stalling much of the eastwards expansion semi-indefinitely) had been done, the U.S. would have had Su-25TMs to call on in the Afghanistan invasion to fight the Taliban with, but alas...

Point being that what you see as "Russia trying to build an empire in Europe" (a common Eastern European propaganda line which is mostly rooted in pro-Austro-Hungarian imperial revisionism [I'm not joking]) is actually "Russia reacting to decades of shadow warfare by the U.S. State Department against its sovereignty" in a very literal sense. The DOS is extremely good at sub-kinetic methods of warfare, and often has the CIA and NED on its side, but the CIA may be siding with DOD in the current Civil Service: Civil War spat over whether RuFed or PRC are the bigger backyard bully.

As to why it did all this, well the U.S. Department of State probably feels cheated out of the Cold War, because it doesn't understand how it won. Or maybe it does, because I'd imagine if it realized it won without doing anything noteworthy, and the Soviets just noped out of the Great Game, it would make a lot of bureaucrats mad. The U.S. Defense Department's support for the Partnership for Peace is likely what soured it completely on the idea back in 1994.

NATO expansion, and thus a deliberate friction with Russia rather than friendship, was the inevitable result of this DOS meddling.

Dr. M.E. Sarotte's Not One Inch: America, Russia, and the Making of Post-Cold War Stalemate is an excellent introductory text for the subject of modern Russian-American relations. It's quite cheaply available from Yale University Press.

Last edited:
No, because industrial sector is increasing due to A - lack of competitors (yeah, sanctions), and B - government willing to give money to industry.
Industrial sector is catching fire as businesses make insurance claims and military sector is producing more weapons and vehicles to blow up or get destroyed. Oil and gas sector is down:

Which indicates the simple truth; modern financial theory is hopelessly distant from economical practice.
No, it indicates that when there are blank pages in financial accounting it's usually because something is being hidden and that something is unlikely to be good.

No one cares about those because they don't literally surround Russia with potential JSF stealth bombers and their nuclear weapons.

Russia is simply agitated because, since about 2007 which is when Putin finally figured out how America works, he is deathly afraid America will turn Russia into its next international relations thesis project. If Iraq was an attempt to bring democracy by B-52, Russia may be an attempt to bring democracy by B61. This is why the Strategic Rocket Forces have been successively winning in every major procurement round since Putin started running Russia.
Ridiculous paranoia. Nobody was going to start nuking Russia just because Ukraine joined the EU.

The starting point for the tit-for-tat of the present situation is 1990, 1993, or 1997, because that is when America either promised something, changed the deal to an emasculated Yeltsin, or broke that promise outright, and all when Russia was too weak to do anything besides acquiesce. Which timeframe you get depends on who you ask and whether they work for the Russian government or the U.S. State Department.

About the only thing they agree on was that there was an agreement and if the "spirit" or "letter" of the agreement was most important.
I don't think Russia's early '90s separatists wars in Moldova and Georgia were very spirit of the letter. They happened long before NATO expanded.

Last edited:
Industrial sector is catching fire as businesses make insurance claims and military sector is producing more weapons and vehicles to blow up or get destroyed. Oil and gas sector is down:
And still budget worked) One advantage of NOT having any government debts to speak about)

No, it indicates that when there are blank pages in financial accounting it's usually because something is being hidden and that something is unlikely to be good.
You should really understood the difference between wishful thinking and reality. Basically you are trying to somehow fit the facts - that Russian economy is working, and even improving - into the flawed theory of "ECONOMICAL SANCTIONS WILL KRUSH! KILL! DESTROY!"

Ridiculous paranoia. Nobody was going to start nuking Russia just because Ukraine joined the EU.
Maybe. But if you know that someone is paranoidal about some particular things, provoking him by deliberatedly doing exactly that, is rather dumb idea.