Current US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)

Non-paywalled press-release:

EDiT: nevermind, I misread the post.

I have long suspected HACM would have a capability against multi engine aircraft given the relative flexibility of modern active radar seekers in engaging air or sea targets (eg SM-6). Unsurprising HALO would as well, though this is the first time I’ve seen anyone actually state that a hypersonic would have an A2A role. But they would be the ultimate LREW in terms of range and total flight time, since they would be powered almost all the way to the target. That makes for a much higher average speed.

ETA: I cannot imagine what is meant by “subsurface” though, unless they mean buried hard targets.

Last edited:
I have long suspected HACM would have a capability against multi engine aircraft given the relative flexibility of modern active radar seekers in engaging air or sea targets (eg SM-6). Unsurprising HALO would as well, though this is the first time I’ve seen anyone actually state that a hypersonic would have an A2A role. But they would be the ultimate LREW in terms of range and total flight time, since they would be powered almost all the way to the target. That makes for a much higher average speed..
it is multiplatform launch, not multi target. Currently, HALO supposed to be air launched but later on maybe possible to launch from surface destroyer or submarine (might need much bigger booster though)

it is multiplatform launch, not multi target. Currently, HALO supposed to be air launched but later on maybe possible to launch from surface destroyer or submarine (might need much bigger booster though)

Ah misread the post. That I’m surprised by; I would not think subsurface launch would be especially easy or something they would design for given the importance and other carrier specific requirements they have to manage.

Ah misread the post. That I’m surprised by; I would not think subsurface launch would be especially easy or something they would design for given the importance and other carrier specific requirements they have to manage.
Subsurface launch of HALO probably done the same way SLBM is launched

So Fast Hawk is back, or maybe Fast Hawk was ASALM coming back. At least this should tell DoD procurement that the requirement will keep coming back unless they finish it off.

I can't help but wonder what the dimensions will be.

I suppose diameter *could* be larger than 21” given the Blk 5 VPM. But probably not much more - mk41 sets a hard limit if it is going to be surface launched. Length is under 15 feet - I would assume not much under that, given how hard it will be to package range and speed into such a small payload.

Not aware of such, and to the extent it did if that was a thing, I suspect it was nuclear. SRAM was anti AWACS too if you fired it down the right bearing.
SWERVE was the ancestor of today's CHGB, launched on a ballistic trajectory and guided to high-value air targets by the LORAINE radar.

SWERVE was the ancestor of today's CHGB, launched on a ballistic trajectory and guided to high-value air targets by the LORAINE radar.
It must have needed a mid-course update too surely? Ideal for anti-ship too.

Last edited:
Yes, SWERVE was air to air. Air Force had their own separate program they put a lot of money into that was not likely to work.

Interesting. Always thought it was and RV for land attack (at least that's how I remembered it being portrayed in the 80s.). Made sense to me that it would be used for LRHW and IRCPS.

Interesting. Always thought it was and RV for land attack (at least that's how I remembered it being portrayed in the 80s.). Made sense to me that it would be used for LRHW and IRCPS.

SWERVE’s direct predecessor at Sandia was a land attack subsonic glide weapon that could maneuver and evade.

It’s ironic that today many Air Force weapons rely on the miniature GPS and GPS/INS technology developed in this program. The same program the Air Force desperately tried to kill

I expect B-21 could fit this weapon in his weapon bay.

Probably, but I suspect integration will not happen anytime soon. The whole point of penetration bombers is that they can use smaller, cheaper weapons compared to cruise missile carriers.

I don’t think current AARGM-ER have programmable warhead either

CM-400AKG allegedly have both active radar seeker, passive radar seeker and IIR/TV sensor, so to be honest in that sense, it seem to be better tha AARGM-ER

I don’t think CM-400AKG can do that, but neither is AARGM-ER, the two way datalink on AARGM-ER is only for final stage BDA
When I was asking if CM-400AKG had all these capabilities, i was speaking of SiAW's requirements...
No sh*t AARGM-ER can't attack moving ships at sea.... WTF?
My whole point was that the SiAW is an extreme high tech next generation high-speed low-observable AI teaming and swarming etc weapon, and you come along and randomly say some BS about "China having that for decades with the CM-400AKG"..?
LOL

ARRW is dead.
Debatable. Even though Dark Eagle was already in service at the time and HAWC had undergone several successful flights, one senior insider stated that ARRW was the most mature hypersonic weapon they had. Ground crews have also received training on this supposedly cancelled weapon.

No sh*t AARGM-ER can't attack moving ships at sea.... WTF?
It definitely can.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCBs1IEk9Fc&t=286s