overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, our new security manager was talking about bringing in Crowdstrike where I work. Hopefully this idea will now be kiboshed after Crowdstrike deployed an update which

1) made Windows servers and desktops crash
2) rendered Windows servers and desktops unable to boot

The only fix is to boot the affected device to safe mode, log on with an admin account and delete a driver file. Most corporate computers affected will probably use Bitlocker, so you'll also need to obtain and enter a 48 digit key. Fun.

Some companies have thousands of servers and tens of thousands of laptops affected.

Last edited:
I've had to break open my 'piggie-bank' and 'slit open the matress' to get some cash out as I've heard that point-of-sale equipment has been affected by this. And people present a 'cashless' society as being the inevitable wave of the future...:mad:

A cloud based financial application which is vital to our business was unavailable for 10 hours,

Just wait till this happens *on* *purpose.*

"Remember when you'd walk into a room and flick a switch and lights would come on?"

The fact that half of the Fortune 500 all use the same system is pretty terrifying when you think about it.

This "channel file" was apparently just a configuration update, not code, but the load and parsing of this file is done by the driver running at kernel level, and loading this bad configuration file caused the driver to completely crash Windows.

This is garbage programming. Presumably there is no validation that the configuration file was valid, it's just applied, which allowed this to occur. No error handling.

The "fix" only replaces the bad channel update with a good one, it does not fix the bad code in the driver. If Crowdstrike make the same mistake with another bad channel file update today, or tomorrow, everything will crash again.

Skynet is Genesis is Crowdstrike.
Skynet was *competent.*

That seems to be the main difference between Sci-Fi AI threats and reality: real world code is jam packed with flaws and vulnerabilities. The real world is looking more and more like Star Trek: TOS: by the time we can actually literally communicate with AI by having a conversation with it, some dude with smarts and charisma will be able to talk the AI into killing itself.

Due to the nature of cloud computing based systems, that's not really an option. The situation has been made even worse by the remote working/WFH fad that was all the rage in recent times.

Here are a couple of more articles in passing from the Register yesterday:

Now imagine we were all dependent on crypto currency.
Or using some form of "social credit score" in order to access not just purchasing, but transport, medical care, etc. Bad as that would be in normal operations, when the system goes down nobody can do anything.

Some people want to get rid of private vehicles in favor of public transport and rideshares. A system glitch or hack could easily cause all the vehicles to just stop, if not suddenly decide to merge with walls at 100 MPH.

The real world is looking more and more like Star Trek: TOS: by the time we can actually literally communicate with AI by having a conversation with it, some dude with smarts and charisma will be able to talk the AI into killing itself.
I'd pay to watch that.

Or using some form of "social credit score" in order to access not just purchasing, but transport, medical care, etc. Bad as that would be in normal operations, when the system goes down nobody can do anything.

Some people want to get rid of private vehicles in favor of public transport and rideshares. A system glitch or hack could easily cause all the vehicles to just stop, if not suddenly decide to merge with walls at 100 MPH.
True, but I would mandate all businesses have the old mechanical credit card clunk-chink deals and at least one mechanical cash register.

The Real Life part: two actors following a script. Shatner and the actor who had the thankless job of voicing the prop that represented an AI-driven machine.
What the clip doesn't show, is an AI driven to suicide.
The real world is looking more and more like Star Trek: TOS: by the time we can actually literally communicate with AI by having a conversation with it, some dude with smarts and charisma will be able to talk the AI into killing itself.

You didn't deliver, there was no AI involved.

Cash is fine when the ATM or the computer system in one of the few bank branches remaining, works. Other than that we are back to barter.

How much cash do we actually carry on an average day and how long would that last in an average week?

How much is the average week grocery bill at the average stupor market?

Can you get to the average stupor market on the average week?

I have to have mine delivered, it is not fun.

Here is an expert analysis and succinct explanation on what happened:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzEJxOo1ts
It's so easy, even a rocket surgeon could understand it.

A most cogent comment was "If we don't sugar coat it, it's a kernel-level remote backdoor running unsigned code. You can't make it any worse. CrowdStrike is not the only one. Ubuntu live patch at least betatests patches on free users first. Then we have Intel ME. WiFi cards running unaudited binary blobs (which is why you often can't boot from it). You are not in control and this will repeat."