Soviet Submarine Aircraft Carrier Model

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
If anyone can find the old Eagle Book on Aircraft from the early 60s I am pretty sure they have a submarine aircraft carrier drawn in there, launching jets from its bows, torpedo fashion.

TV 21 the children's comic from 1964 has an excellent submarine carrier vertical launching its jets.

UK 75

Unfortunately only got a 1955 copy of that Eagle book. Any chance of seeing that TV21 carrier - from Thunderbirds or Stingray strip?!?

Regards,
Barry

uk 75 said:
If anyone can find the old Eagle Book on Aircraft from the early 60s I am pretty sure they have a submarine aircraft carrier drawn in there, launching jets from its bows, torpedo fashion.

TV 21 the children's comic from 1964 has an excellent submarine carrier vertical launching its jets.

UK 75

Rick Random?

Attachments

• Escanear.jpg
    Escanear.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 679
Barrington Bond said:
Unfortunately only got a 1955 copy of that Eagle book. Any chance of seeing that TV21 carrier - from Thunderbirds or Stingray strip?!?

Regards,
Barry

http://www.grahambleathman.co.uk/images/subaircraftcarriermed.jpg

Cheers
Paul M

My favourite scene from the TV-series UFO, late '60s, early '70s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNHMz5lSTA
Everything we are looking for, a submarine aircraft carrier from
cold war times, just the enemy was different ... :D

But I never saw the fighter landing and coming back to its carrier ???

AH! U.F.O. a TV show that greatly influenced my taste in design and probably my favourite TV show ever... apart from Dr Hwo and Babylon 5. Not really a topic for discussion in this thread though... :-[

Regards,
Barry

ohh yes the good old times of
Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet..., UFO, Space 1999 and Dr. Who

back to UFO SkyDive http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyDiver
they never explane how the Plane get back to Sub.

most of mecha design in UFO is by Derek Meddings

I think you're forgetting Mike Trim - he designed the Mobile, Moon Mobile, Moonbase, Seagull X-Ray, SID and an unused Interceptor design. Whereas Derek did Skydiver, Interceptor, Lunar-shuttle and carrier and the 6 wheel jeeps inherited from Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun.

Regards,
Barry

Attachments

• scan0004 (2).jpg
    scan0004 (2).jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 938
If you are passionate of anime, also in "Macross Zero" appears a submarine aircraft carrier, and probably the people of "Studio Nue" that make mecha for anime series, know many things about these thinks , including the "Cold war submarine aircraft carrier projects" ;D

airman said:
If you are passionate of anime, also in "Macross Zero" appears a submarine aircraft carrier, and probably the people of "Studio Nue" that make mecha for anime series, know many things about these thinks , including the "Cold war submarine aircraft carrier projects" ;D

And also one in the "Full Metal Panic" animes.

starviking said:
airman said:

And also one in the "Full Metal Panic" animes.

In the so-called "Alternate History" anime "Konpeki no Kantai", Japan the Superhero Nation used three of an improved version of I-400 submarines to sink the Big E (with torpedoes) and destroy the Panama Canal (with attacker floatplanes).

For all those frustrated Skydiver fans who wanted to know how it docked, someone did it for you.... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMN4Ef9JtzI&NR=1

Soon shall the middle kingdom be gleefully avoiding the trespass of the foreign devils whose vexation the wonderful weapon shall cause to be great.

http://wuxinghongqi.blogspot.com/2009/06/chinese-navys-strategic-nuclear.html

Yes boys and girls, It's an aircraft carrying, submarine tending....boomer.

Of course, given how badly I tend to embarrass myself in Japanese ( and English for that matter)I should not make fun of bloggers grammar when he's posting in what to him is a very hard and alien language.....but the concept is a bit silly.

I should add that on the whole, that blog is actually interesting.

And it is the fake, or better to say what-if design of some internet enthusiasts.

http://wuxinghongqi.blogspot.com/2009/06/user-originality-peoples-liberation.html

Probably more a Whiff than a real concept, but I still like this model. IRL it would be quite loud and heard by SOSUS just after leaving Poljarny. ;) B) ;D
arronlee33 said:
Russia Nuclear Aircraft Carrier Submarine Model Unveiled [1080p]

Last edited by a moderator:
Eagle Book of Ships and Boats 1959, but cannot find the pic.
have found some great art from the TV 21 world of 2066.
The Northrop F5 fighters are fun

Attachments

• stingray_submarine_aircraft_carrier_by_arthurtwosheds-d93p15f.png
    stingray_submarine_aircraft_carrier_by_arthurtwosheds-d93p15f.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 764
  • sub-1.jpg
    sub-1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 681
  • TV21 STINGRAY.jpg
    TV21 STINGRAY.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 644
  • sub-2.png
    sub-2.png
    441.1 KB · Views: 310
  • TV21 Summer Special art.jpg
    TV21 Summer Special art.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 411
Being straight out of the Stingray TV show, wouldn't these be better suited for the Theoretical & Speculative Forum or some such? This is from the mind of Gerry Anderson and his crew, not actual aircraft designers or naval architects.

Tom S
So page 4:eek:f this post is fine with you then?

uk 75 said:
Tom S

Hoestly, no, it all seems very out of place in this thread. But I'm not going on a crusade here, just gently suggesting we try to keep things on-topic a bit.

TomS said:
uk 75 said:
Tom S

Hoestly, no, it all seems very out of place in this thread. But I'm not going on a crusade here, just gently suggesting we try to keep things on-topic a bit.

i second that

i propose we keep them for moment here under term "In popular culture"

Cannot really see the problem as none of these things ever
came close to being built. But if you want tighter threads
I would suggest you specify which Cold War projects you have
in mind eg U S Navy or Soviet Navy

I don't want to sound like an Aerospace Projects Review pirate and am only posting on a phone so getting my point across will be rather difficult but...does anyone know much about that really big submarine aircraft carrier with ~40 aircraft (I think?) posted there? Like, I guess the main thing I'm curious about is the displacement and other statistics. I can kinda get what's going on with that image and won't make a big fuss if I receive no other information.

GWrecks said:
I don't want to sound like an Aerospace Projects Review pirate and am only posting on a phone so getting my point across will be rather difficult but...does anyone know much about that really big submarine aircraft carrier with ~40 aircraft (I think?) posted there? Like, I guess the main thing I'm curious about is the displacement and other statistics. I can kinda get what's going on with that image and won't make a big fuss if I receive no other information.

Well, it would be big, very big.

Predicting displacement is kinda difficult tho. But according to Norman Friedmann 's "Hybrid Warship" book. It quotes old Royal Navy Study on harrier carrier. every harrier needs 2000 ton of displacement. Assuming same figure for the aircraft. The hangar alone would equal to 80,000 metric tonne. The submarine carrier itself Thus can easily displace over 100,000 metric tonne.

Also this site might contain some projects:
http://www.combatreform.org/submarineaircraftcarriers.htm

Desafortunadamente, solo obtuve una copia de 1955 de ese libro de Eagle. ¿Alguna posibilidad de ver ese portador de TV21, de Thunderbirds o Stingray strip?

Saludos,
Barry
I
Mi escena favorita de la serie de televisión UFO, finales de los 60, principios de los 70:
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNHMz5lSTA

Todo lo que buscamos, un portaaviones submarino de
En tiempos de guerra fría, solo el enemigo era diferente ... :D

¿Pero nunca vi al caza aterrizar y regresar a su portaaviones?

¿This old fashioned vintage guy?

Attachments

• gerry_andersons_ufo_skydiver_sheet_1_of_3_by_arthurtwosheds_d83iknl-fullview.jpg
    gerry_andersons_ufo_skydiver_sheet_1_of_3_by_arthurtwosheds_d83iknl-fullview.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 165
  • skydiverFrontRear.jpg
    skydiverFrontRear.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 144
  • skydiverTopLeft.jpg
    skydiverTopLeft.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 130
  • skyOneBottom.jpg
    skyOneBottom.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 124
  • skyOneTop.jpg
    skyOneTop.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 130
Good Lord, Gerry Anderson's stuff was more realistic.
Gerry Anderson was a pro, making a living from his work rather than being employed to produce flights of fancy aimed at bamboozling politicians into parting with government funds.
Reminds me of a Ghostsbusters quote "You've never worked for private industry. They expect results.

Probably more a Whiff than a real concept, but I still like this model. IRL it would be quite loud and heard by SOSUS just after leaving Poljarny. ;) B) ;D
arronlee33 said:
Russia Nuclear Aircraft Carrier Submarine Model Unveiled [1080p]
A very unrealistic design but a cool What-if nonetheless.

UK 75
hesham found it in a German magazine here.
Post in thread 'Aviation, Imagination of the Future from the Past' https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...-of-the-future-from-the-past.2504/post-277484

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    574.3 KB · Views: 107
Does anyone know the origin of this model ? An amateur modeller ?
Or could it be a real Soviet project ?!!! :eek:
View attachment 728668
I want to say it's an amateur model.

That flight deck would be hideously noisy, and as you can see there's a limited number of planes it can carry. Also, this would require a massive rebuild of the Typhoon hull it started out as.

This might say but I can't read Cryllic, and it has several more views of the model, too,

And thanks to Google Translate,
Submarine aircraft-carrying cruiser pr. 949UA
Many have seen impressive photographs of large Soviet submarine cruisers - both carriers of ballistic missiles (project 667, 941 - "Akula"), and "aircraft carrier fighters" (project 949A - "Anthea"). However, not everyone knows that “Anteev” also had a sequel, which, due to great geopolitics at the turn of the 80s and 90s, did not have time to come to life. We are talking about Project 949UA - a three-hull aircraft-carrying submarine cruiser, with many unique technologies that have no analogues in the world.

Now these formidable ships remain in the museum of the Rubin Central Design Bureau only in the form of models, but if history had turned out differently, then already in the third quarter of 1992 the first of a series of 4 aircraft carrier cruisers would have been laid down in Severodvinsk. They even gave it a name - “Dnepropetrovsk”. But alas, it didn't work out...
Let's take a closer look at what kind of cruiser it was.
This unique project existed in the late 1980s.
August 21, 1992 acting Chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation E.T. Gaidar signed a decree to close the project and dismantle the slipway equipment in Severodvinsk for its construction. Only mock-ups remain for history...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this is a work of fiction. There are several versions of this narrative online and it just doesn't pass the smell test.

I'm pretty sure this is a work of fiction. There are several versions of this narrative online and it just doesn't pass the smell test.

Yeah, I am NOT buying that. The US would have been able to track that sub on SOSUS, even in the Arctic Ocean.

All I know about this beast is:

- the article and photos found via using Tin Eye reverse image search and taking a few minutes to sort out the chaff
- the Rubin Design Bureau is a real place which has done some interesting stuff & still exists.
- for instance,

In 1981 a techno-working project 667AK ("Axon-1") (chief designer - O.Ya. Margolin) was developed to re-equip one of the 667A submarines withdrawn from combat operation into a submarine laboratory for advanced marine development of advanced sonar complexes (GAK), and a number of other prototypes of acoustic and non-acoustic radio electronic armament. Work on the ship was completed in 1983. This made it possible to carry out important stages in the commissioning and offshore development of both individual SAC subsystems, including the towed antenna, and the SAC as a whole before the start of the serial delivery of the complexes to ships under construction. In 1982, for the first time in the shipbuilding industry, I.D.Spassky and S.N.Kovalev were was awarded the title of General Designer. A technical project was developed for the conversion of the strategic 667A missile submarine of the strategic designation project 667AN into a large nuclear submarine for research works on the study of the World Ocean, the physical fields of the Earth and the sea bottom. The project envisaged the insertion of a new middle block to replace the cut-out missile compartments, in which research equipment and equipment were to be placed, as well as cabins and living rooms for the crew and researchers. Given the purpose of the submarine, the autonomy of navigation was significantly increased, which required not only the deployment of more reserves, but also the creation of comfortable living conditions for the crew and researchers. The refurbishment was carried out by MP "Zvezdochka" in cooperation with the PO "Sevmashpredpriyatie". In 1985 a technical project was developed for the re-equipment of the strategic submarine cruiser of the 667A project for project 09780 (Axon-2) (chief designer - O.Ya. Margolin, since 1987 - Ye.A. Subsequently, at the suggestion of CDB MT “Rubin”, in order to reduce financial costs and refurbishment periods, it was decided to re-equip the project 667AK (“Axon-1”) subproject 09780 after completing the test program. The revised technical pr. 09780 for this submarine was developed in 1988.

Have a couple Rubin references for fun,

March 30, 2017

Scientists with the Central Design Bureau for Marine Engineering Rubin are brushing dust of old ideas for civilian use of nuclear powered submarines.

Speaking at the Arctic Forum conference in Arkhangelsk, head of Rubin’s project team, Viktor Litvinenko, said such a nuclear powered submarine will help future generations to solve the serious problems of developing the Arctic shelf.

«This is a civilian nuclear submarine. Instead of [missiles] launchers it will have robotic systems and autonomous subsea vehicles for seismic exploration, search for any kinds of mineral resources,» Litvinenko said in his presentation, RIA Novosti reports.
50 years history of nuclear submarine design

Rubin knows how to create nuclear powered submarines. The design bureau has all Russia’s ballistic missile submarines in its portfolio, from the first Hotel-class subs in the 60ies, via the giant Typhoon class to the current Borei-class. The engineers with Rubin also designed the Echo-class and Oscar-class cruise missile submarines.

Litvinenko said the new design will be the world’s first nuclear powered submarine designed for civilian purposes. It will be 135 meters long, have a crew of 40 and ability to dive to 400 meters depth.

Both the Barents Sea and Kara Sea have depth shallower than 400 meters. So has the shelf along the Northern Sea Route north of Siberia.

SKB Rubin​

Rubin Central Marine Designs Bureau
SKB-18 Central Marine Designs Bureau
Central Design Bureau for Marine Engineering
Ulista Marata 90
St. Petersburg 191126
Russia

rubin.gif
The history of Central Design Bureau for Marine Engineering Rubin, being inseparably linked with the history of the Russian underwater shipbuilding, began on 04 January 1901, when the Construction Commission for Submarines was established. Since then, having passed through a number of transformations, the Construction Commission has become the biggest Design Bureau for Marine Engineering in Russia to which designs about 950 submarines have been built.
Years of experience enabled CDB ME "Rubin" to create three generations of nuclear and diesel submarines (more than 20 projects) armed with new strategic and tactical weapons - ballistic and cruise missiles. The deepest-diving combat nuclear submarine "Komsomolets" ("Mike"), the world's largest submarine "Akula" ("Typhoon"), the world's most efficient nuclear attack submarine "Granit" ("Oscar"), the world's most silent diesel-electric submarine of project 636 ("Kilo") have been designed by CDB ME "Rubin". The submarines built to the designs of the Bureau serve in the Navies of 14 countries.

The changed economic situation in the country have necessitated new strategic decisions to be taken for long-term development of the Bureau. Now CDB ME "Rubin" is a diversified company which is not only holding the leading position in marine engineering but is successfully mastering a number of conversion activities. Because of recent conversion efforts, approximately 40 percent of the work is defense related, with major thrusts in the past several years concentrating on high-speed train development, nonmilitary submarines, and tourist submersibles.

Does anyone know the origin of this model ? An amateur modeller ?
Or could it be a real Soviet project ?!!! :eek:

This one looks like a model building exercise, or maybe a "sea story". (and we all know the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale.....) I suspect that someone with a NYT subscription could easily verify that the December 5 2015 issue does not show such a submarine. It should be pretty obvious that there's not enough space to launch or land a MiG-29.

I don't speak Russian either, but deepl.com does:

Submarine aircraft carrier cruiser pr. 949UA
Many people have seen impressive pictures of large Soviet submarine cruisers - both ballistic missile carriers (Project 667, Project 941 - “Akula”) and “aircraft carrier fighters” (Pr. 949A - “Anteyes”). However, not everyone knows that the Anteyes had a continuation, which due to the great geopolitics at the turn of the 80's and 90's did not have time to materialize. It is about the project 949UA - a three-hull aircraft-carrying submarine cruiser with a lot of unique technologies that have no analogues in the world.

Now these formidable ships remain in the museum of the Rubin Central Design Bureau only in the form of mock-ups, but if history had turned otherwise, the first of a series of 4 aircraft carrier cruisers would have been laid down in Severodvinsk in the third quarter of 1992. It was even given a name - “Dnepropetrovsk”. But alas, it didn't work out.....
Let's take a little closer look at what kind of cruiser it was.

1. In general terms, it was a submarine based on pr. 949, but three-hulled. 949, but with three hulls. The central strong hull by diameter of hull structures was fully unified with “Antey”, which greatly accelerated the development, only longer - and the side two were noticeably smaller and shorter. The underwater displacement was approximately equal to pr. 941 - ca. 47000 т.

2. The hull was equipped with a 147 m long and 43 m wide flight deck with a unique system of rapid surface drying after surfacing. On the starboard side was allocated a zone for aircraft takeoff, with a full-fledged steam catapult, allowing to do without a springboard and other tricks. The power required for this was provided by 4 nuclear reactors with thermal capacity of 190 MW each, also unified with pr. 949. 949 - but only twice as many as the Anteyes. Two landing zones could be used for aircraft landing, on the starboard and port sides, with landing lugs running across the entire flight deck.

3. submarine cruiser aviation group - 10 units, including 8 MiG-29K(P) airplanes and 2 search and rescue helicopters. One more helicopter was stored as a reserve, in mothballed form.

4. The underwater aircraft carrier cruiser was equipped with a precision water positioning system and several thrusters.

5. The concept of using TARPCs envisioned a sudden seizure of air dominance on the seas and oceans following an exchange of nuclear strikes by the superpowers. In the course of a nuclear conflict, large ships of both sides, including aircraft carriers, were destroyed, so that a power vacuum was created - and the subsequent surfacing of such a cruiser and its combat use meant obtaining effective air cover for the remaining fleet groups, and in some cases - and seizing complete air supremacy. Therefore, even 6-12 airplanes were enough, in the absence of full-size aircraft carriers on the seas. Two TARPCs solved this problem.

6. Only 19 minutes were allotted to release the first airplane from the hangar after surfacing and prepare for takeoff, of which 6 minutes were spent draining the flight deck. The other airplanes could be lifted onto the deck in 4 minutes each. This, of course, does not mean that the TARPC carried only an air group on board - it was also armed with P-700 Granit cruise missiles. That is, it was not only a submarine aircraft carrier, but also a fighter of competing aircraft carriers.

7. But the most important know-how of this unique submarine cruiser was that in some cases it was practically invisible to the then hydroacoustic observation means and could not be detected in principle. The thing is that its flight deck with rubber-osmium coating simultaneously played the role of a radiation absorber in the underwater position - if it was on the boundary of water layers of different density and salinity. For example, at the junction of a cold current and a layer of “ordinary” sea water without strong circulation. Thus, for the means of detection of the enemy cruiser had the appearance of an ordinary school of fish about 200 * 70 meters - say, mackerel or mackerel. Or saury. And try to figure out what it really is.

Such a unique project existed in the late 1980s.
On August 21, 1992 E.T. Gaidar, Acting Chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation, signed a decree to close the project and dismantle the slipway equipment in Severodvinsk for its construction. Only mock-ups were left for history...

With a strong catapult and RATO I think you could launch a MiG-29 sized aircraft from a short runway, and Why should the sub have the ability to recover the aircraft? After launch the planee could strike the target and return home l, aircraft carrier or on a friendly airbase. The sub allows the launch the aircraft closer to the target thus saving fuel for the planes to actually don't have to fly there. The WW2 RN MAC ships too operated on the same concept though on air defence role.

Back
Top Bottom