Really, I'd missed the new build.

Assuming that it works out more or less as planned I'm happy with the aukus deal. We're getting some desperately needed long range weapons in the short term.
The "two refitted moderately-new + one new-build" has been in almost every press release about the contents of the agreement since it was signed.

Ok, but a DSTO rrsearch manager told me that only a couple of years ago.

I agree that they could be a game changer. A sub with them could go twice as fast for twice as long, making them much more productive.
Japan has found them enough of a game changer that they ripped out the AIP systems from the last couple of Soryu class boats and replaced that space with more lithium batteries, in addition to replacing all the lead-acid batteries with lithium. I believe that they are using a spaced cell system with individual cell temperature monitoring and at least mass cell cooling.

Faster to recharge, and potentially traveling farther between charges as well.

But for under ice operations like Canada needs, I'd require some flavor of AIP if not nuke power. I personally prefer Stirling engines over hydrogen fuel cells even though the Stirling engines aren't as quiet. I hate working with hydrogen.

Japan has found them enough of a game changer that they ripped out the AIP systems from the last couple of Soryu class boats and replaced that space with more lithium batteries, in addition to replacing all the lead-acid batteries with lithium. I believe that they are using a spaced cell system with individual cell temperature monitoring and at least mass cell cooling.

Faster to recharge, and potentially traveling farther between charges as well.

But for under ice operations like Canada needs, I'd require some flavor of AIP if not nuke power. I personally prefer Stirling engines over hydrogen fuel cells even though the Stirling engines aren't as quiet. I hate working with hydrogen.
Most of the hydrogen enthusiasts that I have run across usually haven't worked around hydrogen.
Funny that. ....