Tier 3 the 15 Fremantle Class patrol boats (that had been designed for but never fitted with Oto Melara 76mm Compato and antiship missiles)
Tell me more...
Ok this is really frustrating as, although I have previously found references to the proposed six additional missile armed FAC versions of the Fremanatles and I know that there were structural provisions for the Oto Melara with space reserved ( I believe is was purposed as a gym) below the 40mm, I cannot lay my hands on them.

Oman formerly operated 76mm armed Brooke marine built PB/FACs with the Oto Melara forward but as they retired in the 90s, can't even find a photo of one on line now. The instalation would have been the same as that as the two designs were related, I believe the Fremantles were basically striped down versions of the Oman vessels.

I know Wikipedia is not a preferred source but it does relate what was my understanding that the original contract was for 15 plus 5 patrol boats to be followed by six or more missile armed FAC versions with plans for a total of up to 30 all together. My cousin was on the build at NQEA and confirmed to me, as did a retired RAN CPO Greenie (Weapons Electrical Technician), that all Fremantles had provision for the 76mm.

During the 70s and 80s many navies were greatly enamored with FACs and the concept that missile armed FACs would be "battleship killers", the RAN was no exception but proposals and PBs playing the role of FACs in exercises was as far as it got.

Tier 3 the 15 Fremantle Class patrol boats (that had been designed for but never fitted with Oto Melara 76mm Compato and antiship missiles)
Tell me more...
Ok this is really frustrating as, although I have previously found references to the proposed six additional missile armed FAC versions of the Fremanatles and I know that there were structural provisions for the Oto Melara with space reserved ( I believe is was purposed as a gym) below the 40mm, I cannot lay my hands on them.

Oman formerly operated 76mm armed Brooke marine built PB/FACs with the Oto Melara forward but as they retired in the 90s, can't even find a photo of one on line now. The instalation would have been the same as that as the two designs were related, I believe the Fremantles were basically striped down versions of the Oman vessels.

I know Wikipedia is not a preferred source but it does relate what was my understanding that the original contract was for 15 plus 5 patrol boats to be followed by six or more missile armed FAC versions with plans for a total of up to 30 all together. My cousin was on the build at NQEA and confirmed to me, as did a retired RAN CPO Greenie (Weapons Electrical Technician), that all Fremantles had provision for the 76mm.

During the 70s and 80s many navies were greatly enamored with FACs and the concept that missile armed FACs would be "battleship killers", the RAN was no exception but proposals and PBs playing the role of FACs in exercises was as far as it got.
On reflection I recall photographs of models and artists impressions of the Brooke Marine and Luerssen offerings to the RAN in books and periodicals I found in the uni library in the late 80s early 90s. There was a lot of public domain information out there in that period that may well be lost now.

Are you referring to the Dhofar Class?

Attachments

• Province_class_oman_3.jpg
    Province_class_oman_3.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Province_class_oman-960x400.jpg
    Province_class_oman-960x400.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 26

No but playing with my search parameters I finally found it.

Ah ok. It would appear that the Fremantles were slightly larger than these though interesting that the main armament was reduced. Though given the RAN's main use of them that is hardly surprising. I must admit a version with the 76mm gun and missiles would be interesting.

but to be honest, its probably better for my sanity to see out my career in my new field instead. Shipbuilding is just too political to ever allow the experts to just do their jobs.
That is a sad commentary on human nature and how that nature has a relationship with power & a reminder of something Dad said toward end of his USN career from which he retired as Commander, O-5; it was that he had no problems with being passed over for promotion to Captain, O-6, because he signed up to drive ships not to play politics.

This one?

om_cf_37.gif

This one?

om_cf_37.gif
yes

This one?

om_cf_37.gif
yes
Although it looks impressive, I think the OTO 76mm would have still been somewhat over the top for the RAN and the role that the actual Fremantle's played..... now saying this, I've found:

"The main weapon was originally to be two 30-mm guns on a twin-mount, but the reconditioned Bofors were selected to keep costs down; provision was made to install an updated weapon later in the class' service life, but this did not eventuate."

As a side note, do we know what type of anti-ship missiles the planned additional six Fremantle's that never happened were meant to have had?

Regards
Pioneer

This one?

om_cf_37.gif
yes
Although it looks impressive, I think the OTO 76mm would have still been somewhat over the top for the RAN and the role that the actual Fremantle's played..... now saying this, I've found:

"The main weapon was originally to be two 30-mm guns on a twin-mount, but the reconditioned Bofors were selected to keep costs down; provision was made to install an updated weapon later in the class' service life, but this did not eventuate."

As a side note, do we know what type of anti-ship missiles the planned additional six Fremantle's that never happened were meant to have had?

Regards
Pioneer
I'm wondering, for the era, this twin 30mm gun mount might have been the EMERLEC twin 30mm gun system???

Regards
Pioneer

I believe the EMERLEC was specified for the DDL, as was the Exocet. Nothing source wise but I think Exocet, although Harpoon had been acquired with the FFGs and the USN had incorporated them in the Pegasus Class PHM in an arrangement that may have worked on the Fremantle.

I believe the EMERLEC was specified for the DDL, as was the Exocet. Nothing source wise but I think Exocet, although Harpoon had been acquired with the FFGs and the USN had incorporated them in the Pegasus Class PHM in an arrangement that may have worked on the Fremantle.
Thanks Volkodav
You're undoubtedly correct in your analogy - especially in terms of standardisation of a given missile type by the RAN would make sense.
Saying this both the Exocet & Harpoon were large and heavy missile for a patrol boat like the Fremantle class....I had in my mind perhaps the smaller and lighter Sea Skua...say two twin launchers on the afterdeck....

Regards
Pioneer

The DDL article in Warships 2017 gives the DDL 30 mms in twin BMARC mountings.

The DDL article in Warships 2017 gives the DDL 30 mms in twin BMARC mountings.
I have a mid 70s janes in the bookcase in N° 1 sons bed room, when I'm brave enough to run the gauntlet of his attack cat I'll pull it out and have a read to see if it specifies the mount. I have also seen suggestion of a twin 35mm.

Ah ok. It would appear that the Fremantles were slightly larger than these though interesting that the main armament was reduced. Though given the RAN's main use of them that is hardly surprising. I must admit a version with the 76mm gun and missiles would be interesting.
Just stumbled across this CG rendition of Fremantle class equipped with Bofors 57mm gun mount.
In hindsight, probably a more suited calibre for the designs use IMO

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• CG RAN Fremantle with 57mm (digitalexplorations).jpg
    CG RAN Fremantle with 57mm (digitalexplorations).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 11