3D printing technology news

FlexBoard

3D Ceramic printing

Your new pills---
That looks inspired by mandrills used to give solids a good burn grain---same idea I guess....similar to the unilever nozzle

This takes the cake though--look at the tiny structure here:

Phys.org writes of how an "AI driven tool makes it easy to personalize 3D printable models."

Style2Fab

Last edited:
“Ukrainians right as we speak are 3D printing parts and firing pins for the M777s [howitzers] and getting them right back into the fight,” LaPlante said. “And yes, we made sure the Ukrainians had the proper IP. Because it was just mildly interesting to them … about having the proper IP when they were at war. But yes, they’re doing it properly.”

"Technique for 3D printing metals at the nanoscale reveals surprise benefit."

--at phys.org

More

Glass prints

Lunar prints

Down under

recycle

Last edited:
3D printing news

Last edited:
This may indirectly help with prints--- there is a story called:

"AI model instantly generates 3D image from 2D sample"
-------at phys.org

(LRM: Large Reconstruction Model for single image to 3D)--- from Adobe research at ANU.

More on 3D printing

Last edited:
3D print
https://phys.org/news/2023-12-stable-hybrid-laser-3d-micro-optics.html LASER

Perhaps of some use in space applications

Silicone

3D print in vivid colors

Solvent free deposition and lithography

Silicone

Airless basketball

tiny 3D prints

More news

Last edited:
New 3D printing boon

3D art

Colors

Last edited:
3D prints of an airy type

3D scanning--so prints can come later

Plastics

Last edited:
3D print finds

Optics

Last edited:
3D prints go green

This could be printed perhaps

Wood pulp and such

Perhaps the top story this week in terms of building design:

Collapse isolation

3D printing as research

New materials use

3D...machining?

For electronics boxes

Hacks

Last edited:
Phys has a great article called "First 3D printed, defect-free tungsten components withstand extreme temperatures" from ORNL

3D printing

Last edited:
Went to the AM show in Birmingham, and it's all maturing nicely whilst still keeping the new tech buzz. I was interested to see a couple of demo pieces printed in tungsten. JOEL selectively fuse the powder bed with an electron beam, which is what you would expected from an electron microscopy company. Melting tungsten is impressive because of its enormously high melting temperature. Mind you, they use a 6kW beam to do it!

Just in

Don´t know if that has been posted already: 3D printed rocket engine generated from an autogenous 3d model engine (input your para et-voila!):

I have to say that I fail to see what would be the inherent advantages for the industry here. I have looked a bit but it passed way over me. So might be something more DIY.

Last edited:
I have to say that I fail to see what would be the inherent advantages for the industry here. I have looked a bit but it passed way over me. So might be something more DIY.
It's accepted by many that the best value production method, especially in volume, is anything but 3D printing. Having said that, for low volumes the elimination of tooling costs can swing the cost balance, but the real trick is to redesign parts to consolidate many parts into a much smaller number of parts. Some companies are reducing 150 parts down to 20 odd, and the elimination of fastners and welding/glueing yields a lighter part.
The really excitemant comes when you can 3D print something that you just can't make any other way, and top of the list are things with internal cooling passageways. At a 3D printing show two years ago I saw a sectioned rocket nozzle printed in Inconel with the most intricate cooling passageways in the bell where they presumably pump fuel as a coolant to stop the whole thing melting. There's no way you could make that any other way.

Ah yes, 3D printing is a valuable tool. No doubt.
But an Autogenous modeler... Why?

Now there is a little something called
Freeform Multimaterial Assembly Process
-in phys.org

"No assembly required: Innovative 3D printing method streamlines multi-materials manufacturing."

More on plastics and such

You need a good scanner

Last edited:
3D prints that are porous

New method