Energia - Buran Space Transportation System

More from our own Blackstar:

Now, the big mystery is, did the ferry botch things by doing a 360’ and not a 180?

Or did Gorbachev order it done?

There is a photo of him near the pad, with a sour look on his face…the disdain he had.

I haven’t been able to relocate that.

O/T

My favorite photo of all time was Chelomei tearing into Smirnov here:

Sixth picture from the top—on the right.

I have *got* to know the backstory on that.

There was another of him doing a face-palm…years before a certain electronics box was put into his rocket upside down.

He was the Wile E. Coyote of the Space Race…my spirit animal…

Last edited:
More from our own Blackstar:

Now, the big mystery is, did the ferry botch things by doing a 360’ and not a 180?

Or did Gorbachev order it done?

There is a photo of him near the pad, with a sour look on his face…the disdain he had.

I haven’t been able to relocate that.

O/T

My favorite photo of all time was Chelomei tearing into Smirnov here:

Sixth picture from the top—on the right.

I have *got* to know the backstory on that.

There was another of him doing a face-palm…years before a certain electronics box was put into his rocket upside down.

He was the Wile E. Coyote of the Space Race…my spirit animal…

Hi friend, here are some images of Gorbachev visiting the Baikonur Cosmodrome, in 1987:

Just the photo:

1665c42997fd4a67f6a1a5f8648ba61f.jpg

A nice model I couldn't fit in my suitcase during a visit to Samara some time ago:

The building is made of yellow brick, which can be seen behind the layout. This is hostel number 6, where I lived in room 304 in 1983-88. On February 18, 1988, during a drinking session on the occasion of receiving a diploma, we fired a homemade rocket with a small powder engine out of the window. The flight was emergency, and the rocket crashed into the wall of the brand new building of the aviation institute. And a month and a half later I already worked in the design bureau, which participated in the Energy-Buran project.:)

Interesting Buran instrument called “Local Vertical Sensor or PMV” (ПМВ Построителя Местной Вертикали in russian). The PMV was an infrared horizon sensor system used by the Buran's navigation system, and detected the Earth's radiation to re-establish orientation to a point where the radio altimeter could take over. (Bart Hendrickx)

BURAN EHS ANOTACIONES.jpg

BURAN EHS ANOTACIONES 2.jpg

A possible prototype of the PMV:

vlcsnap-2024-03-29-10h36m47s180.jpg

And Vadim Lukashevich editor of the site buran.ru, represented it this way:

vlcsnap-2024-03-29-10h36m47s180-2-enhance-4x.jpg

Would be nice if you provided video credentials

This 3D model was much upgraded fixing unknowns and mistakes including PMV and ZSP configuration since then, but not sure if it was ever posted online
Well it's a pity that those charts are not online (at least I haven't seen them...). I have tried several times to communicate with Vadim, but without any answer from him! The Energia-Buran system is a technological marvel, but it is very difficult to find detailed info about their systems, even in Russian language. There is information, but it is distributed, so you have to do some detective work to put the puzzle together. But hey, it keeps us entertained.

The Energia-Buran system is a technological marvel, but it is very difficult to find detailed info about their systems, even in Russian language.
Not really, the avionics was antiquated. It never showed its maneuvering and docking capabilities. Its local environment was never defined. Hardware occupied the payload bay.

What is that triangular shaped object above the nozzles on the back of the buran?

What is that triangular shaped object above the nozzles on the back of the buran?
Through this element, air and coolant were injected into the Buran, immediately after landing, to cool it for approximately one hour. There was a special circuit of composite piping for this purpose.

bburan24.jpg

They may be the light blue pipes seen in the following image, but I have no way of confirming this:

Panorama_sin_título-1.jpg

Last edited: