Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon Developments

Interesting video, if you haven't followed the F-16 in US Navy service before. ;) :)
The War Zone said:
Live Fast, Die Young: The Story of the U.S. Navy's Hot-Rod F-16N
When you think of the F-16, the U.S. Navy probably isn't what pops into your head, but the truth is that the Air Force's mainstay fighter has a very colorful past serving with the seagoing service in the hands of highly-trained Topgun instructors and fleet adversary pilots. It all started with a purpose-built, stripped-down, hotrod of a Fighting Falcon, the F-16N. This is its fascinating story.
Video:
View: https://youtu.be/0j7Z7Qnu7no?si=fJW8eNWQmylwnu6H

Alex Hollings from Sandboxx has just uploaded this interesting video concerning the AI-controlled F-16:

Earlier this month, Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall made history, riding in the cockpit of an AI-piloted F-16 Fighting Falcon through a series of simulated close-quarters air-to-air engagements, more commonly known as good old-fashioned dogfights.
According to Kendall, the AI in control of his aircraft was evenly matched with the human F-16 pilot it was squaring off against, and we're not talking about any ordinary pilot... We're talking about an Air Force Test Pilot with thousands of hours logged in that specific fighter.
This has spurred a great deal of discussion about the implications of AI in combat, much of which has centered around concerns that the systems we devise to wage war for us, may ultimately wage war on us instead.
So in Part 1 of our dive into this topic, let's talk about what AI really is, including what it's capable of, and what it isn't.

Detailed investigations by the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) and Lockheed Martin (LM) have determined the cause of the accident. The flight data recorder recovered from the crashed F-16 showed that its pitch rate gyroscopes gave erroneous inputs to the flight control computer. This led to the pilot being unable to control the plane at take-off.

All F-16 fighter jets are fitted with four such gyroscopes and simultaneous failure of the gyroscopes is a very rare occurrence. As such, LM does not stipulate any maintenance for the pitch rate gyroscopes in the F-16 aircraft. This is the first such simultaneous malfunction of the pitch rate gyroscopes for the RSAF's entire F-16 fleet that has operated over 35 years. The RSAF, with LM, will undertake further studies to determine the specific cause/s for the gyroscope malfunction that resulted in this crash.

As the cause of the F-16 crash has been elucidated, the RSAF F-16 fleet will resume flying. But as an added precaution, each F-16 pitch rate gyroscope will be checked and cleared before resumption of flights.

I am unfamiliar with the F-16 FCS.... does it has 4 accelerometers in each axis, and 4 rate gyros in each axis, giving it 12 accelerometers and 12 rate gyros ? I presumed they are not MEMS based ......

Alex Hollings from Sandboxx has just uploaded his part two video concerning the AI-controlled F-16:

Last week, we discussed the reality of current-state artificial intelligence technologies, dispelling some of the most pervasive myths surrounding the topic. This week, we're diving into the ongoing U.S. Air Force effort to develop, mature, and field AI fighter pilots to operate some of the most advanced combat aircraft ever devised — a program known collectively as SKYBORG.
Let's explore how this AI has matured, and where it's going, because according to the Air Force, these systems will be in service by the close of this very decade.

Aimee P. Burnett, Vice President of Aircraft Strategy and Business Development at Lockheed Martin, made statements about Turkey's procurement of 40 new F-16 Viper aircraft.

Burnett said the factory is in the final stages of achieving its goal of increasing the production rate to four aircraft per month, and currently has a “queue” of 122 aircraft for a total of six countries. It will take three years to complete delivery of these 122 aircraft.

If the contract is further delayed and new orders are placed in the meantime, the delivery time for the first Turkish F-16 Viper will be further delayed.

Although a final decision has not yet been made, the F-16 Viper fighter jets requested by Türkiye are expected to be produced at Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) facilities in Türkiye..
-----------

View: https://x.com/turdefcom/status/1795141299462422816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1795141299462422816%7Ctwgr%5E53d47f4fa1073110d1e54e479a1737b3d2b02c88%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdefencehub.live%2Fthreads%2Fturkish-air-forces-news-discussion.2740%2Fpage-170&mx=2

Last edited:
I'm gonna ask a very straightforward question... does anybody knows how many F-16s have been pledged to Ukraine so far ? I have four countries and 95 aircraft, as per the following:

-The Netherlands has pledged to provide 24 units
- Norway: 22
- Denmark 19
- and Belgium a (no longer unspecified) number: 30.

I had this feeling there were more countries than this four (and moar F-16s in the pipeline), for example Romania: but I may be wrong.
Somebody help ?

I'm gonna ask a very straightforward question... does anybody knows how many F-16s have been pledged to Ukraine so far ? I have four countries and 95 aircraft, as per the following:

-The Netherlands has pledged to provide 24 units
- Norway: 22
- Denmark 19
- and Belgium a (no longer unspecified) number: 30.

I had this feeling there were more countries than this four (and moar F-16s in the pipeline), for example Romania: but I may be wrong.
Somebody help ?
That seems to be the current figure, though the 95 aircraft will take quite a while to be completely delivered, if I remember correctly, the initial delivery scheduled for before the summer is less than 10. I think this number is unlikely to change for quite a while, unless the US pitches in (which is unlikely given the political antics going on) or if they are procured from third parties (unlikely at this point because of EU political antics)

Alex Hollings from Sandboxx concerning the F-16's survivability in Ukrainian airspace:

With the first batch of Ukrainian F-16s expected to enter the fight this year, questions remain about just how survivable these 4th generation fighters will be in the contested airspaces of this conflict.
But if the performance of Major Emmet Tullia during the Package Q Strike of Desert Storm is any indicator, Ukraine's F-16s have a solid shot at playing a big role in this fight.

Recently Russia has been claiming that the F-16s that will be donated to Ukraine are nuclear capable (As in wired for special-stores), well Alex Hollings from Sandboxx has made a video addressing the issue:

In recent months, Russia has repeatedly claimed that providing Ukraine with F-16s well be seen as a clear "nuclear provocation" from the West — citing the fact that some F-16s can be equipped to carry and deploy nuclear bombs. This narrative has since been picked up by bot farms and Pro-Russian media outlets, but is there any truth it? Let's dive into what aircraft can deliver nukes, and why Russia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs is trying to mislead you.