Grumman A-6 TRAM

A photo and some drawings... the PDF is the Navair (USN & USMC) FLIR/Laser Technician school manual on Infrared and Laser systems. The next-to-last last section (pages 2-36 - 2-43) covers the AN/AAS-33A DRS system in light detail.

a-6e-DN-SN-90-06268.jpg DRS nose layout.gif

Receiver Group.gif

slewstick.gif

IR indicator.gif DRS control.gif

DRS list.gif

Attachments

• 14028_ch2.pdf
    788.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
One other item of avionics in the A-6E that works directly with the FLIR system that was only mentioned obliquely in the video, and which only appears in the PDF in the "associated assemblies" list is the Mission Recorder.

This used USN-standard (at that time) 1/4" video tape to record any of the following:
pilot's terrain-following radar display;
Bombardier-Navigator's attack radar display;
FLIR video;
TV-guidance video from AGM-62 Walleye TV-guided glide-bomb (used 1967-1991) & AGM-53 Condor TV-guided missile (first flight 1970, canceled 1976)

The video recorder was installed in the "birdcage" - the assembly you see below the aft fuselage below - it also carried the radar altimeter (the dome of the antenna) and some other electronics. In the KA-6D tanker version that was replaced by the fairing for the fuel hose and receptacle (the "tail feathers").

VMA(AW)-121 A-6E.jpg

A-6E Marietta - Dobbins ARB (Atlanta NAS).jpg

The Condor capability is due to the AN/AAS-33 system being developed in the early-mid 1970s, with the early AN/AAS-33 version seeing service test etc in 1976-78 (the first version of the WRA/LRA troubleshooting software for the DRS test bench [AN/AAM-60(V)4 & AN/AAM-60(V)6] was issued in 1978 - it was what the TRAM systems school in NAS Whidbey Island, WA used in late 1982 when I attended).

The first TRAM-equipped A-6E was delivered to the USN in 1978. The modified AN/AAS-33A system entered production in 1979, with first units being delivered 1980+.

The Grumman TC-4C (Gulfstream I) was used as a B/N in-flight trainer for A-6 crew from 1967, by 1980 they had been upgraded with an instrumented A-6A "cockpit" built in rear of Gulfstream cabin. Repeater DVRI radar and navigational displays were provided at each of four student consoles (located further forward in cabin) so that five B /N trainees could learn how to operate the DIANE /DVRI radar system from experienced instructors while in flight. The four trainee B /N's, seated at the repeater consoles, could follow the attack procedure being worked at the A-6A simulated cockpit by the supervised fifth trainee.

USN TC-4C 155729 from VA-42 NAS Oceana VA late 1980s.jpg

Last edited:
In March 1980 Mt. St. Helens, an active volcano in Washington State began showing signs of potential eruption... the US Geological Survey started trying to make a thermal map, but were moving very slowly.
The USN stepped in, with great results. Here is the story from the USN aviator who arranged the partnership.

Story of a Mt St. Helens by Steve Loranger –
As a Lieutenant, I was flying the TC-4C in VA-128 from 1979 until 1982 and was the TC-4C Division officer at that time. As an avid mountain climber with a degree in Geology, I was fascinated by the Mount St. Helens activity. After learning that the US Geological Survey was using just a handheld infrared photo camera to map the thermal conditions, I worked to get the Admiral’s approval to help them out. We had the newest classified technology which was the Hughes Target Recognition Attack Multi-sensor, or TRAM installed on our TC-4C, for early testing prior to putting it on the A-6 fleet. It was a complete high-resolution thermal imaging and infrared/laser weapon delivery system, including gyro stabilization, zoom capable, thermally calibrated, and was recordable. We were using it for the early laser-guided bombs and BDA recon. No question it was a thousand times more capable than what the USGS had.

I called the USGS to offer them a flight. Much to my amazement, the USGS said they had all they needed so they declined the ride. ride. I finally had to say….. “ ….with all due respect, sir, we have the most advanced technology in the world and you can’t even imagine how good it is until you see it in action”. So they finally agreed to take a flight and of course they were blown away by the resolution and stabilization of the system. One flight led to another and for the next two or three months, we flew regular missions over the Volcano, providing the world with real-time data as to the pending eruption. I personally flew most of the missions, which began at 3:30 AM and ended at 5 AM which were necessary since we needed to get the thermal images of the volcano after a night of cooling off and before the sun came up.

One day we got the bright idea that we should have a big Photo Shoot of our A-6s flying formation over the volcano. After getting organized, we launched with me in the lead with a photographer on board and four A-6s on the port wing in the echelon. We began orbiting the volcano about a half-mile from the rim. It was really turbulent, as the volcano was spewing ash up to about 50-60,000 feet…..oddly dark and portentous……and very dramatic and beautiful. I couldn’t hold altitude within plus or minus a thousand feet and airspeed was cycling up and back 40-50 knots. It was ridiculously rough and the A-6s were all over the place trying to hold formation. (All I could think about is the ribbing I would get from the fleet guys about my bad airmanship!) After several failed attempts, we finally got a few pictures and then, in one of life’s unforgettable moments, I saw some boulders trailing steam fly out in front of my plane. Several were the size of trash cans, and two were the size of a Volkswagen Bugs! At that point I screamed “break right, break right” and we all scattered and flew back to NAS Whidbey Island like scalded cats. Once safely on the ground, I called the FAA and they closed the airspace permanently.

A week later the volcano erupted. The airspace was closed for a couple of weeks after the eruption, but the USGS wanted me to fly them in again to do some after-action thermal mapping. After negotiating with the FAA, we made the first fixed-wing flight into the region.

Words cannot describe how totally overwhelmed I was with what I saw. Not only was the earth completely covered with a foot of thick beautiful brown ivory ash, but most impressive were the millions of trees that were blown over like blades of grass for dozens of miles. When I saw the dramatic expanse of the blast damage, I began to comprehend how significant the explosion was.

After the ash settled, and with safety back in the air, we made many more flights doing after-eruption mapping.
This was truly an interesting and rewarding time for all of us in VA-128 as we were using the latest military technology for such a good purpose.