Yakovlev AIR "Proyekt N°2"

I've seen mention of this project dvigadelem MV-6. What kind of engine was installed in this picture.

ucon said:
AIR project from year 1933

Other pictures of this design, only described as "Proyekt N°2", can be found at http://www.spaceavia.ru/

I must say I'd love to learn more on this superb project! Please note the different engine cowling and air intakes.

Attachments

• Project N°2 color.jpg
    Project N°2 color.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Project N°2 front.jpg
    Project N°2 front.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Project N°2 left.jpg
    Project N°2 left.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Project N°2 top.jpg
    Project N°2 top.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 115
There is mention of this project in the book 'OKB Yakovlev' by Yefim Gordal et al but with no further information other than a breif description and no drawing.
At least you work has given us that. I assume the engine is an MV-6.

There is mention of this project in the book 'OKB Yakovlev' by Yefim Gordal et al but with no further information other than a breif description and no drawing.
At least you work has given us that. I assume the engine is an MV-6.
Specifications for Yakovlev AIR No. 2:

• Length: 21 feet 8 in (6.6 meters)
  • Wingspan: 36 feet 1 in (11 meters)
  • Wing area: 165.35 sq feet (15.36 sq meters)
  • Empty weight: 772 pounds (350 kg)
  • Useful load: 529 pounds (240 kg)
  • Aspect ratio: 8.1
  • Powerplant: one 60 hp Walter 5-cylinder radial engine
The 1933 design by Yakovlev discussed in this thread was a different design than AIR No.2 and had an inline engine (probably a Renault Bengali).

Source:
Gordon, Yefim; Komissarov, Sergey (2013). Unflown wings: Soviet and Russian unrealized aircraft projects 1925-2010. Birmingham: Ian Allan Publishing Ltd. pp. 263-264. ISBN 978-1906537340.

ucon's picture looks like it is powered by an air-cooled, two or three cylinder radial engine. Either an upright V-twin or with a third cylinder hanging straight down.

OTOH Stargazer2006's drawing looks more like a conventional, air-cooled, straight, 4-cylinder, inverted, inline engine.

A central under carriage, but no wingtip supporting wheels, so how did it take off, with one wingtip on the ground? It would only make a ground loop when applying power.

A central under carriage, but no wingtip supporting wheels, so how did it take off, with one wingtip on the ground? It would only make a ground loop when applying power.

Civilian sport gliders routinely have a person steadying a wing tip until they are going fast enough to use ailerons for roll control. Since this Russian race plane is purely intended for racing or record-setting it is okay to depend upon extra ground crew.

OK. On the other hand gliders and motor gliders will be able to use ailerons at very low speed, i.e. some 10 km/hr, the running speed of a tip handler. I hate to think what would happen with a racer, which it apparantly is, on a runway with a spinning 60 hp propeller if the tip handler makes a mistake. Also, it would probably need more than 10 km/hr for the ailerons to be effective in view of the relatively short wingspan.