Woman claims strawberry Pop-Tarts don't have enough strawberries, sues for $5 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you had a thing about sensational headlines.

This is a consumer protection class-action suit filed in federal court. The minimum amount in controversy for federal jurisdiction is $5 million due to CAFA - which is a tort reform law passed after intense lobbying by large corporations precisely because it makes consumer protection lawsuits more difficult.

In the unlikely event the class is certified (roughly a quarter are), the case will be settled for some smaller amount. The woman won't get the money, she's just a class representative. Kellogg's will just add a label on the box and mail out coupons or rebates or something.

Last edited:
I am primarily concerned with pastry related matters. For the record...

OK, so if I can link Pop-Tarts to the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers' International Union, the thread will be locked down.

I have learned how to have the power of a god!!!!

In Italy a legal file issue like this would make laugh the Judge.....

I am primarily concerned with pastry related matters. For the record...

I'm more concerned about pastry terror attacks. A Belgian and French speciality, for many years. Also works with flour, and eggs (just ask Macron, he had both this year - plus a slap in the face by a Royalist - yes, we still have them in France, 228 years after Louis XVI head rolled away a cold day of January 1793).
Iraqi prefers throwing shoes, and Femen, bras.

Pastry attack on the odious Eric Zemmour. 10 years ago (2011, hell of a year !)

View: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37d0bk

In Italy a legal file issue like this would make laugh the Judge.....

In America 100% Parmesan cheese can be 10% wood pulp because "100% Parmesan cheese" is "ambiguous."

This case will most likely be dismissed on the pleading based on precedent - plaintiff's attorneys are only slightly better at making ridiculous claims than food labels. It goes both ways.

Last edited:
In America 100% Parmesan cheese can be 10% wood pulp because "100% Parmesan cheese" is "ambiguous."
Obviously in Italy the Parmesan cheese is taken seriously and this claim would be a serious issue, so serious that our "Carabinieri" (Military Police) has entire branch devoted to fight food ambushes, the NAS - Nucleo Anti-Sofisticazioni e Sanità.

Unfortunately the Wikipedia page is only in Italian, but it is easy to understand how Italian government takes care of protection of Italian food.

So the headline should have read: "Class-Action Lawsuit Filed against maker of Pop Tarts"? Who would read that? Instead, the idea of a single person potentially getting millions, now that's a story.

As far as pointless threads, I didn't write that headline. And I think people deserve the occasional laugh.

And how dare anyone write about Parmesan cheese? I watched on TV as a government employee tested various brands of ketchup to make sure it flowed correctly coming out of the bottle. Oh yes, food is monitored and tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
my reaction to this thread and the karen who wanted to sue poptart companies:
images

I wonder what she would think of this

Not only McDonalds has worms inside. Except in this case, it deliberate: part of the cheese tradition.

So it is dangerous to eat and, on top of that, you'd better keep it away from any flame, otherwise bad things happens. All hail the SEVESO cheese !

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rolphi.com%2Fblog%2Fimages%2Fphotos%2FOZ_2010%2Fasterix_corse.jpg&hash=7003bd91d2a1a47b7818fb72b815be2e

In Belgium this legal file issue like this would take 5 years in preparation, then took around 30 year...

In Germany this legal file would be disallow as Prozessbeleidigung or as Produkterpressung

and in some People Republics, the woman would be simply shot...

. . . in some People Republics, the woman would be simply shot...

In those places, Pop Tarts are not available . . . (unless you're one of the ruling elite . . .).

cheers,
Robin.

And how dare anyone write about Parmesan cheese? I watched on TV as a government employee tested various brands of ketchup to make sure it flowed correctly coming out of the bottle. Oh yes, food is monitored and tested.

That's not the issue. Wood pulp is a perfectly legal food additive, and has been since the 70s.

The issue is whether you can put large letters on the front of a package saying something with 5-10% wood pulp is 100% cheese or bread made with cellulose and a smidgen of whole wheat flour is high-fiber whole wheat bread.

Since whether you can or not is mostly enforced by courts using a "reasonable consumer" standard rather than clear guidelines, both plaintiffs and and food manufacturers are constantly looking for absurd technicalities to justify suing or giving their product made of ersatz fillers the illusion of premium quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.