What is the ideal MBT

I know. I was pointing out that it doesn't have to be independently moveable. Even still, things as light as Humvees and Jeeps can still use RCWS and probably the same as would be on a tank because of things like CROWS (Common Remote Weapons System). A RCWS of some type seems like a no brainer for new tanks, I was disappointed when the M10 didn't have one as one of the people it was named after died while manning the MG.
This is one of the Things M10 is supposed to get later like the aps.
Well the same would apply to having multiple vehicles
Yes but what i mean are 2 or more vehicle to Cover the whole range of Jobs. Both optemised against there "disadvantage" so you can Cover the whole spectrum. Both are able to full fill all Missions Independent but can work as a unit to be even better.
. At the end of the day compromises have to be made and the thing that finally kills the enemy tank could be a ATGM mounted on the same platform as the small gun.
And if the vehicle is lighter meaning more strategically and tactically mobile as well as more mostest firstestness, then that has to be adapted to as well. In addition, I have never supported cutting out 120mm, so that has to still be thought about.
(Here the two vehicles or more)
Hmm. Could a high elevation 105mm be made? I know that one problem tanks had in Afghanistan was insufficient elevation to engage ATGM and RPG teams. I know autocannons have higher elevation than 120mm so could a 90 or 105mm be made to match that of a 30-50mm range auto cannon? I think that heavier autocannons are the route to go as 20 and 25mm doesn't have much use for smart rounds.
Yes. 0eda29d8d23204b3db23449f8a1de7385b32cc81.jpeg
images (9).jpeg
But if we went really heavily armoured, that's always going to be a losing bet as they can make a bigger gun!
Thats why i propose we splitt it. The light (probaly more medium weight) and the heavy class.
Some ATGMs have warheads as big as 5in. If we add good APS then they can make kinetic energy missiles, use saturation attacks, mines, and tank traps to work around the armour. Artillery is getting ever more precise and AP or HEAT/EFP non cluster artillery is seeming less and less absurd.
Yes and If they Hit you direct even without an AP warhead of any kind its gonna look Bad for you.
To me, it seems logical to use armour for near invulnerability against smaller weapons like autocannons and outdated AT weapons like RPG-7s from all or some angles, and not try to stop modern AT weapons.
Yeah but what happens when you come to a point were heavy Armor is needed? Its like AsVal said that the needs dedicsted your Design.

This is one of the Things M10 is supposed to get later like the aps.
Thanks! It seemed quite underwhelming at first, but with RCWS and APS, it seems like it would be very well protected against insurgents and other low level threats. I hope its weight doesn't bloat like the Abrams has though.
Yes but what i mean are 2 or more vehicle to Cover the whole range of Jobs. Both optemised against there "disadvantage" so you can Cover the whole spectrum. Both are able to full fill all Missions Independent but can work as a unit to be even better.
Okay, that is an interesting idea. What would those vehicles look like.

Thank you again, it is hard for me to do research as my main internet access is through my school computer and they hire a poor quality AI to block sites. (google got blocked once!) How well could a gun like this work as indirect fire support if given some indirect fire computers? The fixed charge size would give it a minimum range to my understanding.
Yes and If they Hit you direct even without an AP warhead of any kind its gonna look Bad for you.
How much can tanks be hardened against the effects of artillery I wonder. Against cluster AT artillery like DPICM and Skeet (is the skeet the AT part of DPICM?) thicker roof and turret decks are the obvious, maybe spaced armour, though I don't know how effective that would be against EFPs. Most damage I've seen to tanks from HE and other anti infantry (huh, that abbreviates to AI) is thrown tracks - could the suspension be modified or side skirts thickened to help with this?
Yeah but what happens when you come to a point were heavy Armor is needed? Its like AsVal said that the needs dedicsted your Design.
Since pretty early on in this thread I have been promoting scaled armour like on the Japanese Type 10, which can vary from 40 to 48 tones in weight. Without as strict weight limitations in weight as the Type 10 has weight could vary 15 or more tones from armour probably. Keep in mind, as autocannons get bigger "autocannon protected" can mean protected from 50-60mm high velocity APFSDS with some multi hit capacity, which is definitely more than light armour. Like with the 120mm cannon, discarding the capability would be a waste, but it still is not necessary all the time. Their is an argument that to prepare for a near peer adversary we should make everything have excessive capabilities for its intended role as the enemy will disrupt our ability to deploy. I don't think this line of logic is wrong per se, but I find it hard to see how sufficient volume could be produced and deployed following it to win against a peer.

Okay, that is an interesting idea. What would those vehicles look like.
Wheeled and tracked. One tracked for the heavy armor role and the other as light one.
Best case they have as mutch as possible similiar.
Thank you again, it is hard for me to do research as my main internet access is through my school computer and they hire a poor quality AI to block sites. (google got blocked once!) How well could a gun like this work as indirect fire support if given some indirect fire computers? The fixed charge size would give it a minimum range to my understanding.
Yes but with your "large" range of Motion you can make it small for BLOS and then switch to LOS.
How much can tanks be hardened against the effects of artillery I wonder. Against cluster AT artillery like DPICM and Skeet (is the skeet the AT part of DPICM?) thicker roof and turret decks are the obvious, maybe spaced armour, though I don't know how effective that would be against EFPs. Most damage I've seen to tanks from HE and other anti infantry (huh, that abbreviates to AI) is thrown tracks - could the suspension be modified or side skirts thickened to help with this?
EFP are like Shaped charges for the most part. Both are possible but there allways things that are destructive for it. Fragmentation against Sensors and direkt hits are hart to protect for. Direct hits are probaly like HESH but the fragmentation is dangerous.
Since pretty early on in this thread I have been promoting scaled armour like on the Japanese Type 10, which can vary from 40 to 48 tones in weight.
But that has a price. It eats more Volume.
Without as strict weight limitations in weight as the Type 10 has weight could vary 15 or more tones from armour probably.
Hard to say but atleast to ~45t. More could be to mutch for the suspension as example.
Keep in mind, as autocannons get bigger "autocannon protected" can mean protected from 50-60mm high velocity APFSDS with some multi hit capacity, which is definitely more than light armour. Like with the 120mm cannon, discarding the capability would be a waste, but it still is not necessary all the time.
Yes but sometimes there is no better asset available for the Job. Fun fact modern 120mm HE which most of the time aren't even that heavier then 120mm mortar shells (around 25-30% as far as i know) but 3-4 times as fast. Makes them good for B-LOS fire If you get high enough.
Their is an argument that to prepare for a near peer adversary we should make everything have excessive capabilities for its intended role as the enemy will disrupt our ability to deploy. I don't think this line of logic is wrong per se, but I find it hard to see how sufficient volume could be produced and deployed following it to win against a peer.
But it can put constrains on the enemy If he doesnt want to be vulnerable to it. Those can be more heavier, larger vehicles as they need more protection.

In my opinion the role of the main battle tank requires it to have firepower that can defeat all types of AFVs which at the minimum means a 120mm gun. Having to rely on other assets to do that job isn't acceptable when the MBT will inevitably be at the front of an attack or counterattack and come up directly against enemy MBTs and other targets that will be missed by air, drones, and PGMs.

If anything the increasing use of APS means that APFSDS ammunition will remain the MBT's best option for destroying enemy armor at typical line-of-sight combat ranges. It may be useful having some gun-launched guided munitions capable of B-LOS targeting but that and indirect artillery support should be the primary focus of other assets and not the MBT itself.

As a blueprint I am fond of what the Abrams X technology demonstrator has to offer. Prior to the war in Ukraine I might have thought other options for the secondary armament would be a better choice but the proliferation of small drones ranging from the annoying to dangerous has me thinking an independent commanders weapon station with the M230LW chain gun is a good idea. With airburst ammunition it should be quite useful at dispatching drones although MBT platoons will still need to operate closely with short-range air defense vehicles in the future. There are specific details I would change for sure and I am still not sure what is ideal as far as turret configuration, total crew size, and other factors go, but it's a good basis to start from I think.

Unfortunately the end result is going to be an expensive vehicle no matter how you do the accounting. That alone is probably going to mean an increased reliance on UGVs supporting the manned vehicles, though I wonder just how much cheaper those UGVs can really be if you need to provide them with APS and the latest and greatest sensors.

Wheeled vehicles are still less mobile than tracked and support vehicles rather than MBT so no dual role. Fire support vehicles based on an IFV to support the PBI and an MBT for what the MBT does best.

To bastardise the two into one means extra cost and less in the way of liklihood the project will complete.

Wheeled vehicles are still less mobile than tracked and support vehicles rather than MBT so no dual role. Fire support vehicles based on an IFV to support the PBI and an MBT for what the MBT does best.

To bastardise the two into one means extra cost and less in the way of liklihood the project will complete.
There's a reason that despite planning on 8x150hp wheel hub electric motors early on for a wheeled variant, the FCS went tracked instead.

Wheeled and tracked. One tracked for the heavy armor role and the other as light one.
Best case they have as mutch as possible similiar.
Ok so a medium weight wheeled chassis and a heavy tracked one. Something like a Centauro and a Abrams X?
Yes but with your "large" range of Motion you can make it small for BLOS and then switch to LOS.
I think you are referring to the propellant size and saying that it could be smaller for BLOS specific ammunition and larger for LOS. A smaller charge on a BLOS round would reduce the necessary hardening which would be useful if it has electronics in it, then regain the lost range by firing it in an arc like artillery. The lower velocity would make it less accurate, but BLOS rounds are usually guided in some way anyhow.
EFP are like Shaped charges for the most part.
Not quite, they have better behind armour damage (I love that that abbreviates to BAD), lower penetration, lose less penetrating power over distance, and often use denser tantalum instead of copper in high end ones. (Side question, but I've never heard of tantalum being used in HEAT warheads, why so - it seems like it would significantly increase performance against ERA and NERA)
Both are possible but there allways things that are destructive for it. Fragmentation against Sensors and direkt hits are hart to protect for. Direct hits are probaly like HESH but the fragmentation is dangerous.
Ok well that seems significantly more specific than the conversation has been going in, nothing that is to artillery as V-hull is to mines.
But that has a price. It eats more Volume.

Hard to say but atleast to ~45t. More could be to mutch for the suspension as example.

Yes but sometimes there is no better asset available for the Job. Fun fact modern 120mm HE which most of the time aren't even that heavier then 120mm mortar shells (around 25-30% as far as i know) but 3-4 times as fast. Makes them good for B-LOS fire If you get high enough.
Mortar shells are designed to be low velocity as mortars want to have maximum angle of attack to land where howitzers can't. In addition the low velocity allows them to have more explosive payload and can use cheaper metals in the rounds construction that create superior fragmentation patterns against infantries.
But it can put constrains on the enemy If he doesnt want to be vulnerable to it. Those can be more heavier, larger vehicles as they need more protection.
But armour isn't the only thing that can do that. Rapid deployment, volume, acceptable attrition levels, and many other things can do that.

In my opinion the role of the main battle tank requires it to have firepower that can defeat all types of AFVs which at the minimum means a 120mm gun. Having to rely on other assets to do that job isn't acceptable when the MBT will inevitably be at the front of an attack or counterattack and come up directly against enemy MBTs and other targets that will be missed by air, drones, and PGMs.
Certainly a valid opinion, but tanks are getting heavy and there is less and less mass to support the infantry. I think what I am suggesting is less an MBT and more a family of systems like ALE that includes a MBT and other vehicles that could perhaps be described as LMBTs (Light Main Battle Tank), TDs, and Infantry Tanks. I know, I made the thread and I called it "what is the ideal MBT", but the family is still built around performing the role of an MBT, just adapted to the situation.
If anything the increasing use of APS means that APFSDS ammunition will remain the MBT's best option for destroying enemy armor at typical line-of-sight combat ranges. It may be useful having some gun-launched guided munitions capable of B-LOS targeting but that and indirect artillery support should be the primary focus of other assets and not the MBT itself.
I totally agree that 120mm APFSDS is the cheapest, most reliable, and possibly most universal NATO aligned AT weapons. I also think that tank on tank combat is a very small part of what a tank dose. Additionally, some new APS systems claim to be partially effective against APFSDS and SY simulations on youtube has done good modeling of this. If we need to give troops an anti APS ATGM, then something like CKEM is an option (who could have guessed I like CKEM) which to my understanding also seemed like it would be cheaper, more compact, and of similar weight. Now that I think about it CKEM or a similar system might be worth reviving anyways just to add more AT volume as we would probably burn through Javelins very quickly in a near pear fight.
As a blueprint I am fond of what the Abrams X technology demonstrator has to offer. Prior to the war in Ukraine I might have thought other options for the secondary armament would be a better choice but the proliferation of small drones ranging from the annoying to dangerous has me thinking an independent commanders weapon station with the M230LW chain gun is a good idea. With airburst ammunition it should be quite useful at dispatching drones although MBT platoons will still need to operate closely with short-range air defense vehicles in the future. There are specific details I would change for sure and I am still not sure what is ideal as far as turret configuration, total crew size, and other factors go, but it's a good basis to start from I think.
Tank designers around the world seem to be trying to reduce the weight of their tanks (Abrams X, Type 10, K2 Black Panther, ect) and with the likelihood of proxy wars increasing high strategic mobility sounds like a priority for NATO countries. Adding an autocannon on top of the turret is counter to this goal. Not to say that is a bad thing, like you say there are a lot of upsides to it, but it will add more weight and maintenance. A smaller main gun makes it easier to justify a 30mm autocannon on top. Overall I also do like the Abrams X with its lighter weight and hybrid engine.
Unfortunately the end result is going to be an expensive vehicle no matter how you do the accounting. That alone is probably going to mean an increased reliance on UGVs supporting the manned vehicles, though I wonder just how much cheaper those UGVs can really be if you need to provide them with APS and the latest and greatest sensors.
Expensive yes, but every little bit counts when your making a lot of them. Look at what the Air Force calls Attritable Mass! With UGVs one important thing to remember is that when an UGV dies you lose no crew which is a big deal both practically and politically. As for APS yes it costs a lot, but so do the ATGMs it will knock out. As for sensors, yeah that's a problem especially since they, and the computers use a lot of components mainly sourced from countries like Taiwan or South Korea that are likely to be invaded or China, who we are likely to fight a proxy war with. They also need maintenance, and many "shove it into the infantry/armour" plans don't account for this.
Tacitly yes, but they have better top speeds, fuel efficiency, and lower maintenance. I think that the French add wheeled scouts to their tanks to help alleviate the maintenance required to keep tanks running.
I don't think that was what Kqcke for you was recommending. As for me, I don't see how hard it would be to have them share a engine, applique armour, and turret ring size/load capability.

There's a reason that despite planning on 8x150hp wheel hub electric motors early on for a wheeled variant, the FCS went tracked instead.
That is really interesting, I will look into FCS more. Still I think that saying wheeled vehicles are not good at providing direct fire support to infantry and maneuvering where the infantry can't whether that be because of enemy fire, terrain, or top speed is not true. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but I got some of that sentiment from your and Foo Fighters posts. I would agree that once you are in the fight tracks are usually preferable, but wheels are probably better for getting to that fight.

(Side question, but I've never heard of tantalum being used in HEAT warheads, why so - it seems like it would significantly increase performance against ERA and NERA)
Think I've seen tantalum listed in some of the Russian HEAT rounds.

Not sure why the US or others haven't, unless the Russians are producing most of the world's tantalum.

That is really interesting, I will look into FCS more. Still I think that saying wheeled vehicles are not good at providing direct fire support to infantry and maneuvering where the infantry can't whether that be because of enemy fire, terrain, or top speed is not true. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but I got some of that sentiment from your and Foo Fighters posts. I would agree that once you are in the fight tracks are usually preferable, but wheels are probably better for getting to that fight.
I'm definitely saying that wheels do not have the offroad performance that tracks do. So if getting to that fight involves driving off road any significant distance (more than a couple of miles), tracks are it.

Some places, that doesn't matter. Big chunks of Africa, for example, that dirt is hard enough to be wheel friendly. See the South African vehicles.

But as a general rule, any place there are lots of people the ground is going to be too soft for wheels to go far or fast offroad.

Ok so a medium weight wheeled chassis and a heavy tracked one. Something like a Centauro and a Abrams X?
Boxer instead. Configurable track/wheel drive.
but the family is still built around performing the role of an MBT, just adapted to the situation.
A MBT is one singular vehicle designed to fill multiple roles. Hence the universal tank. What you are suggesting is building tanks that can do infantry support, armour killing and other jobs separately. The problem is you are increasing attrition on your own forces for very little return. An infantry support tank stills needs armour to support infantry, of course. It also needs a medium velocity gun to destroy structures, troops advance. Which will neccesitate a FCS. You still needs expensive comms, electronics, armour and a hull, in other words 2/3 the cost of a normal MBT to do 1/5 of its roles. UGV this and that but in the end you still needs a forward controller which will be the command MBT.
CKEM is an option (who could have guessed I like CKEM) which to my understanding also seemed like it would be cheaper, more compact, and of similar weight. Now that I think about it CKEM or a similar system might be worth reviving anyways just to add more AT volume as we would probably burn through Javelins very quickly in a near pear fight.
KEMs are in so shape or form cheaper and lighter than shoulder fired MPATGMs like NLAW or HJ-12. It's a very expensive, relatively speaking, system designed to fill a verh niche role. Tank killing. A Javelin is inferior at that, obviously, but you can use the LWCLU to fire top attack ATGMs or straight running multipurpose rounds. It's substantially more versatile. The only applicatiob for KEMs that I could see is as a large TUA style system on a tracked UGV chassis. And if you are running out of a small rocket powered subsonic lofted rocket with a cheap IIR nose you would probably be deprived of hypersonic missile faster.
proxy wars increasing high strategic mobility sounds like a priority for NATO countries
Proxy wars demand large stores of MBTs that can be reliable accessed and operated. You arent flying flocks of C-17s carrying Abrams when the other side has trigger happy S300s. Ukraine is demanding more tanks yet NATO seems to have trouble giving them enough. Now if their fleet of Oplots and T-64s is 2-3 times larger they could have a large surplus of tanks that needs no bureacratic mess or cross country railways.
Now, look at Taiwan and decide if you want a couple battalions worth of M1A2Ts in base or 40ton MMBTs that would be transported while constantly being scanned and intercepted by J-20s and Type 055s. Weight class is a problem of tactical and logistical mobility not strategic.

Proxy wars demand large stores of MBTs that can be reliable accessed and operated. You arent flying flocks of C-17s carrying Abrams when the other side has trigger happy S300s. Ukraine is demanding more tanks yet NATO seems to have trouble giving them enough. Now if their fleet of Oplots and T-64s is 2-3 times larger they could have a large surplus of tanks that needs no bureacratic mess or cross country railways.
Now, look at Taiwan and decide if you want a couple battalions worth of M1A2Ts in base or 40ton MMBTs that would be transported while constantly being scanned and intercepted by J-20s and Type 055s. Weight class is a problem of tactical and logistical mobility not strategic.
It took almost 6 months for the first Abrams to arrive in Saudi in 1990.

That's because Abrams are basically a 1/plane load, whether a C5, C-17, or 747Cargo. All the invasion forces armor went by ship, except for those ancient M551s the 82nd Airborne flew in with.

That's strategic mobility.

It took almost 6 months for the first Abrams to arrive in Saudi in 1990.

That's because Abrams are basically a 1/plane load, whether a C5, C-17, or 747Cargo. All the invasion forces armor went by ship, except for those ancient M551s the 82nd Airborne flew in with.

That's strategic mobility.
This is strategic mobility.
Historically large quantity of armour has only been delivered through either ground vehicles or ships. Only through these pathways can an army deliver a worthwhile amount of armour. Time is of little relevance to strategic mobility, quantity is. Operations often requires multiple months to plan before even deploying. If you can bring to battle a couple divisions in that time along with the neccesary logistics you are strategically mobile. Thats why the US has so many bases around the globe: it's an expeditionary forces fighting wars often thousands of kilometres away. It needs to be strategically mobile and it delivers that through high force density in every region.

Don't you dare bully AHED he was adorable.

The "best" MBT is whatever is available, can be built in large numbers, and works. Even a T-55A, M48A5, or a Centurion Mk. 5/2 can still pack a punch, with fairly modest upgrades by modern standards, tbh.

Yes kinda.
I think you are referring to the propellant size and saying that it could be smaller for BLOS specific ammunition and larger for LOS. A smaller charge on a BLOS round would reduce the necessary hardening which would be useful if it has electronics in it, then regain the lost range by firing it in an arc like artillery. The lower velocity would make it less accurate, but BLOS rounds are usually guided in some way anyhow.
Question is how large is the distance where blos and los are spaced apart. If we Talk about 0,5-1km distance then there is really no need for it as we are talking about using normal 120mm He. Any guided blos round can be designed to close that gap if needed.
Not quite, they have better behind armour damage (I love that that abbreviates to BAD), lower penetration, lose less penetrating power over distance, and often use denser tantalum instead of copper in high end ones. (Side question, but I've never heard of tantalum being used in HEAT warheads, why so - it seems like it would significantly increase performance against ERA and NERA)
Still both are quite similiar parts of the shaped charge family.
Ok well that seems significantly more specific than the conversation has been going in, nothing that is to artillery as V-hull is to mines.
V-hulls still dont safe your tracks or wheels. You also need distance from the ground for the V-hull to be really effectiv.
Mortar shells are designed to be low velocity as mortars want to have maximum angle of attack to land where howitzers can't. In addition the low velocity allows them to have more explosive payload and can use cheaper metals in the rounds construction that create superior fragmentation patterns against infantries.
Yes and this was more for the artillery Part that offen Happens. If tanks could shoot higher than now then they can shoot over a long distance.
But armour isn't the only thing that can do that. Rapid deployment, volume, acceptable attrition levels, and many other things can do that.
Thats why im proposing 2 or more vehicles. One heavy with the big Armor and the other the lighter more mobile solution. If you can buy enough of both you can also win the Mass.
Certainly a valid opinion, but tanks are getting heavy and there is less and less mass to support the infantry.
Thats the Problem of single vehicle for the job.
I think what I am suggesting is less an MBT and more a family of systems like ALE that includes a MBT and other vehicles that could perhaps be described as LMBTs (Light Main Battle Tank), TDs, and Infantry Tanks. I know, I made the thread and I called it "what is the ideal MBT", but the family is still built around performing the role of an MBT, just adapted to the situation.
I try to make it "only" 2 vehicles for now as less means more of both.
I totally agree that 120mm APFSDS is the cheapest, most reliable, and possibly most universal NATO aligned AT weapons. I also think that tank on tank combat is a very small part of what a tank dose. Additionally, some new APS systems claim to be partially effective against APFSDS and SY simulations on youtube has done good modeling of this.
Yes and i WE have even test for them in real Life. Mostly older rounds but it doesnt matter.
If we need to give troops an anti APS ATGM, then something like CKEM is an option (who could have guessed I like Cem) which to my understanding also seemed like it would be cheaper, more compact, and of similar weight. Now that I think about it CKEM or a similar system might be worth reviving anyways just to add more AT volume as we would probably burn through Javelins very quickly in a near pear fight.
Now make CKEM fligh like a Javelin and you won.
Tank designers around the world seem to be trying to reduce the weight of their tanks (Abrams X, Type 10, K2 Black Panther, ect) and with the likelihood of proxy wars increasing high strategic mobility sounds like a priority for NATO countries.
Lighter also gives your more weight for the Future against new Threads. Thats the big Problem for many of todays Tanks as they can't even get more weight on them.
Adding an autocannon on top of the turret is counter to this goal. Not to say that is a bad thing, like you say there are a lot of upsides to it, but it will add more weight and maintenance. A smaller main gun makes it easier to justify a 30mm autocannon on top. Overall I also do like the Abrams X with its lighter weight and hybrid engine.
Expensive yes, but every little bit counts when your making a lot of them. Look at what the Air Force calls Attritable Mass! With UGVs one important thing to remember is that when an UGV dies you lose no crew which is a big deal both practically and politically. As for APS yes it costs a lot, but so do the ATGMs it will knock out. As for sensors, yeah that's a problem especially since they, and the computers use a lot of components mainly sourced from countries like Taiwan or South Korea that are likely to be invaded or China, who we are likely to fight a proxy war with.
Needs lots of energy too.
They also need maintenance, and many "shove it into the infantry/armour" plans don't account for this.

Tacitly yes, but they have better top speeds, fuel efficiency, and lower maintenance. I think that the French add wheeled scouts to their tanks to help alleviate the maintenance required to keep tanks running.

I don't think that was what Kqcke for you was recommending. As for me, I don't see how hard it would be to have them share a engine, applique armour, and turret ring size/load capability.
Yes. We dont lose tracks but sometimes wheels to the Tracks offer more "range of Motion". Like the Mittlere Kräfte of the Bundeswehr are to be able to use roads to fastly get to one side of Europe to the other without the need of aircraft, ships or train. Something mutch Harder with tracks when they also should get heavy Armor.
Yes.

Boxer instead. Configurable track/wheel drive.
Boxer is heavy and bulky. Don't think its the best Design for the job but If you already got it in service then it maybe a good idea.
A MBT is one singular vehicle designed to fill multiple roles. Hence the universal tank. What you are suggesting is building tanks that can do infantry support, armour killing and other jobs separately. The problem is you are increasing attrition on your own forces for very little return. An infantry support tank stills needs armour to support infantry, of course. It also needs a medium velocity gun to destroy structures, troops advance. Which will neccesitate a FCS. You still needs expensive comms, electronics, armour and a hull, in other words 2/3 the cost of a normal MBT to do 1/5 of its roles. UGV this and that but in the end you still needs a forward controller which will be the command MBT.
And you need secure Communication to the UGV.

Why this talk of 90mm guns, when several manufacturers are geared to 57mm and 76mm?
What is the benefit if 90mm over smaller diameter bores and why is it so much lighter than a bore just 15mm greater at 105mm?

If anything the UK 110mm was supposed to be retro fittable to existing 105mm turrets......

What is the benefit if 90mm over smaller diameter bores
90mm has a pretty good explosive weight, even for a high velocity (thick wall) shell, and it's good enough to threaten even an Abrams from the side.

and why is it so much lighter than a bore just 15mm greater at 105mm?
Square-cube rule. A 105mm gun tube is 8660mm^2 internally, a 90mm is 6360mm^2. Then the barrel is, ... call it 50mm thick, for a total diameter of 205mm and 190mm respectively. Assuming equal length barrels of 5.46m (105L52 and 90L60) and barrel metal density of 7g/cm^3: the 105mm barrel weighs in about 1000kg, while the 90mm is about 840kg.

the merkava is a great mbt that is able to deploy infantry or carry extra munitions is so useful it got a very good 120 mm gun the trophy system is very nice to have even without the trophy system it still is very well armored and 42 mph not that bad of speed try to find a mbt that beets that not to mention it is very reliable as far as tanks go

the merkava is a great mbt that is able to deploy infantry or carry extra munitions is so useful it got a very good 120 mm gun the trophy system is very nice to have even without the trophy system it still is very well armored and 42 mph not that bad of speed try to find a mbt that beets that not to mention it is very reliable as far as tanks go
For israel the best but others it maybe is the worst

what did you mean by that it has done excelent in the conflicts isearel is in and had are you saying the merkava is overall a bad tank?

what did you mean by that it has done excelent in the conflicts isearel is in and had are you saying the merkava is overall a bad tank?
No but different terrain alone requires different designs and have not the same requierments. Which is why IT IS for israel the best (as they got what they asked) but others maybe more limited by it like japan for example.

yeah i know a merkava is hard to air drop but i was assuming that the tank was not being ussed by some inexperienced junior officer that is totally not going to abuse this

yeah i know a merkava is hard to air drop
Air droping is easy. Surving a little harder but thats Not the problem. Many countries have "weak" infrastructure Not able to support those heavy weights or have a terrain where lighter vehicles are mutch easier to use and support (getting anything over 60t out of the mud is hard as f**k). Thats why we see so many different vehicles designs for roughly the same mission.

i m pretty sure survinng is a important thing for air droping also weight has nothing to do with sinking into mud thats ground pressure

i m pretty sure survinng is a important thing for air droping
It is but its not important enough for all countries too just forget tactical and strategic mobility.
also weight has nothing to do with sinking into mud thats ground pressure
It has as the weight gives the ground pressure which influence the size of the vehicle and mutch more plays into this. But more important is the recovery of those vehicles which the heavier they are the harder it is.

One can argue as mutch as they want but still merkava in all its varaints is a very good tank for Israel because its tailored for Israel. Other countries may need different characteristics making the merkava worse for that situation which maybe need a mutch lighter tank or a tank easy to get from point a to b.

The requirement for a tank depends on the likely theatre of operations.

During the Cold War the terrain of West Germany and the large Soviet armoured formations dictated the designs of the Western tanks we know and love.

As a bonus the M48 was also able to fight in other theatres from Israel to Vietnam.

With the end of the Cold War the evolution of the tank slowed so that today's tanks are improved editions of models developed to fight in West Germany.

The poor performance of the M551 Sheridan in Vietnam and the departure from service of the Soviet PT76 serves as a warning to those who want lighter, easier to transport tanks. The mass of light tanks in the 1940 British Army is another.

Russia and China can out produce the West with their simpler designs but our anti tank weapons of various kinds make that a dubious advantage.

The West now has to face up to the challenge of producing tanks in significant numbers for the first time since 1991.

Only the United States and Germany in NATO have any significant production capacity. S Korea is a useful addition and Poland could be. Czechia, France, Italy, Sweden and the UK have some capacity as well as long histories of designing and building.

Merkava is highly optimized for Israel's local conditions: nasty rocky ground, steep hills, absolutely zero strategic depth (you can see the Mediterranean Sea from the Golan Heights!), surrounded by people who want to kill every single person in the country.

Tracks and suspension are optimized for rocky terrain, they tear up paved roads.

It's relatively slow tactically, because there's nowhere to retreat to, just popping up and down from shooting position to shooting position.

It can make quick acceleration from the stop due to gearing for those steep hills, but it's limited in "road march" speed because of that. Plus, since there's no strategic depth, there's maybe 20 miles from where the tanks are based to where they're fighting. Even at "only" 42mph, it's less than half an hour from "shots fired" to "Alert tank platoon arrives on scene".

It's very well protected because training new armor crews takes time that the Israelis don't have (and raising new troops takes 18 years!).

==========

In comparison, the Abrams is more optimized for fighting in western Europe. Good road system, rolling hills, a decent amount of strategic depth, only one threat direction, etc.

So the Abrams is set up to not tear up paved roads; can blast down the road at pretty ludicrous speeds to get from the port or POMCUS depot to the front lines (once you disable the engine governor); is capable of getting hits on targets as they crest the second hill beyond the firing position; and is somewhat less protected since the US has a large population to turn into soldiers and they're safely training several thousand miles away from the front lines.

why whould you care about the other pepoles road i do agree with what you said about the abrambs though but i was thinking about my home state arkansas i am sorry that i did not piont out very very flat terrain though i should have pionted that out is there anything that i can do to help the forums

why whould you care about the other pepoles road i do agree with what you said about the abrambs though but i was thinking about my home state arkansas i am sorry that i did not piont out very very flat terrain though i should have pionted that out is there anything that i can do to help the forums
Spelling.